Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trap adds Martin Rowlands?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Just to clarify something mentioned further up the page. Dont Ireland need a win from the last 2 games to guarantee 2nd spot? Only a draw and Bulgaria getting 2 wins would see them get the spot on goal difference, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Have I been in a coma or something for the last 5 years, Andy Reid top quality my ar*e he mixes 89 minutes of mediocrity with one or two flashes of brilliance,
    Thas one or two more flashes of brilliance than anyone else is capable of.
    hardly whats needed in international football.

Do you watch uinternational football? thats exactly whats needed.. they are always tight affairs and one moment of magic is all thats needed to open up a game. Did u see Pirlo's pass to Grosso for Italy's first goal against Bulgaria woaH! Nobody bar Reid woudl be capable of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Rondolfus wrote: »
    @Swar

Firstly I don't agree with your assesment that you must always pick the "best" or most talented players. Thats something a 10 year old child would do whilst playing "Football Manager". ALL successful teams pick the players that suit their system.

Real Madrid were most successful when they fielded players like Makelele and Celades and when they weren't afraid to bench some of the more creative players like Guti. (Much to the dismay of the fans). Think back to 1990 World Cup. Jack Charlton made the correct decision to axe some of the more naturally gifted players in his quest to secure a good team spirit.

Oh FFS, we are not Real Madrid and Guti was still young then, coupled with the fact that Madrid had a host of other creative players at their disposal...I don't need to tell you who they were :rolleyes:

Who were the more naturally gifted players that were ommitted from the 1990 world cup squad in order to secure a good team spirit?

Look at England, Capello wasn't afraid to give players like Heskey a chance ( despite not being the "best" players available). The point is they fit his system and his has been successful. lippi did the same with the current World Champions! The list goes on!

I think England, like Madrid, is a very bad example...they have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to strikers (in fact their whole squad)...sure Heskey was included to fit the system, but they also had the best available players available at that time in the squad...anyway some would say Heskey was one of the better players in that position at that moment in time.

Also you say that you wouldn't expect us to play a creative style of play against teams like Italy but the main argument on this thread in favour of Reid is his creativity? :confused:

What about if we go a goal behind against teams...would he not be a good option to have to try an unlock defences? :confused: Also, because we have one creative player in our team, does not necessarily mean we (as a team) play a "creative style". :rolleyes:

Obviously "most teams" in the world won't beat us. However, "most teams" that are ranked similar to us would. That's not what you said the first time, and again, I disagree. Who are these teams that are "ranked similar to us" that would beat us "on paper"?

Eaten bread is soon forgotton and it seems our results under Staunton have been wiped from the memory of some Irish fans. hmmm let me think...hammered by Cyprus... now getting results against Italy and Bulgaria...

A "fat" lot of good Reid did for us when were getting outplayed by part-timers under Staunton.

Most managers would not have Ireland sitting in our current position on the verge of a playoff/qualification. People don't like to admit that becuase it would mean giving Trap some credit and lets face it, a lot Irish people simply enjoy complaining.

I never said Trap hasn't done a good job, he has, but how you can defend his decision to pick Miller and Rowland ahead of a proven premiership footballer is beyond me...especially when as you say he is "one of our more creative players" :rolleyes:

I also still think Rowlands is a low key addition and I am positive it was the correct decision. He probably won't get a look in, but a squad of players has to picked.People are blowing this out of all proportions. We're hardly building the team around Rowlands, although some people here seem to want us to build a team around Reid!!

A low key addition or not, it's his addition that is baffling and some would argue that his addition ahead of Reid is drawing more attention to the squad than the inclusion of Reid himself. People are not blowing this out of proportion and nobody is saying we should "build a team around Reid", but he would be a very good option to have should we need it.

Nobody knows what influence Reid had on the Irish team behind the scenes. All I know is one of the greatest managers in the game, and his staff including Liam Brady don't feel his inclusion would be beneficial.

Has Liam Brady said anything regarding the Andy Reid situation? I would hazzard a guess that Brady has F**K all to do with picking the squad, because if he did I would be pretty certain he would be pushing for Reid's inclusion in the SQUAD at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

podge018 wrote: »
    Just to clarify something mentioned further up the page. Dont Ireland need a win from the last 2 games to guarantee 2nd spot? Only a draw and Bulgaria getting 2 wins would see them get the spot on goal difference, no?

Ireland need 2 points to guarantee 2nd spot from the last 2 games.

Back onto Andy Reid. Whatever about him being in the starting 11, there is no excuse for not being in the squad. If we were 1 nil down in a game and need a draw or win he would be the man I would look to to get on and CREATE something. Be it from open play or a set piece. I would shudder at the thought of waiting for Miller/Gibson/Whelan/Andrews to do something to get you something out of a game !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

SWAR wrote: »
    Has Liam Brady said anything regarding the Andy Reid situation? I would hazzard a guess that Brady has F**K all to do with picking the squad, because if he did I would be pretty certain he would be pushing for Reid's inclusion in the SQUAD at least.

Oh come on, of course Brady has some input on who gets included in the squad. He's one of the most respected youth coaches in the premiership, with possibly the best club at spotting young talent in Europe!

And speaking of naturally gifted players that don't fit into a system, Brady should know all about it. After all he never fit into Jack Charltons style of play, despite being arguably Irelands most skilful player at the time ( and indeed anytime).

I used the example of Real Madrid and England to illustrate my point that picking 11 "best" players doesn't naturally lead to a best team. You may not like the example because it doesn't fit in with your theory, however, it is valid. Its my firm belief that if we fielded Irelands "best" players without any regard for chemistry or style then we are doomed to failure.

As for going a goal behind and unlocking a defence. Have you watched the qualifiers ??? Becuase if you have you'd realise that we have already risen to this challenge. But of course, you'll probably put all this down to luck and totally neglect to acknowledge the hard work of the Irish players. The work ethic that was introduced by Trappattoni.

Also when you say Reid is a proven premiership footballer. What exactly has he proven? Flopped at Tottenham and had a few decent games for Sunderland. Hardly setting the world alight is he? I actually think Keith Fahey looks more polished than him.

As for teams ranked similar/higher to us that "on paper" should beat us heres a few...Croatia,USA,Greece,Serbia, Australia, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Mexico,....there's too many to mention just look at the list..

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

The fact is we are getting results and thats down to our management team and the hard work of the players. Despite what you may think of Miller and Rowlands, they won't rock the boat. And personally I don't want the boat rocked this close to qualification. When qualification is over, it could be time to take another look at Reid. But until then people should stop assuming that Reid would make us play stylish football. We are simply not a stylish/creative team. We don't have the players. We get results through grit and determination. Its not pretty, but it does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

We have 2 home games left, whilst I can see the merit in an Italian manager playing holding/ spoiling midfield players in an away match, where in his head a draw is a result. That does not work too well in a home game. You have to win your home games. Usually the away team will sit deep and try to hold out for a draw, or catch us on the break. In these games we require guile, creativity in midfield. There are only 2 Irish players that fit this description, Andy Reid who really really wants to play for his country and of course Stephen Ireland who does NOT. Yet we persist with trying to get Stephen Ireland and not a jot to get Andy Reid ! Its really baffling. If Trap is a true professional he would put his differences aside and meet Andy Reid and get it sorted. I am sure Reid is man enough to offer an apology if required.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd be very surprised if the match on Saturday doesn't end in a draw. Two Italian managers going all out to win a match when a draw will do for both. Not on your nelly!

And then the match on Wednesday will more than likely be a win for us, but even a draw will do. I think 18 pts. should be enough for a playoff spot. It'll be easier to calculate after Saturday's game.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And then the match on Wednesday will more than likely be a win for us, but even a draw will do. I think 18 pts. should be enough for a playoff spot. It'll be easier to calculate after Saturday's game.

No should about it. 18pts is enough. The max Bulgaria can get is 17.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I'd be very surprised if the match on Saturday doesn't end in a draw. Two Italian managers going all out to win a match when a draw will do for both. Not on your nelly!

You would expect a draw but who can be sure.

• Advertisement

No should about it. 18pts is enough. The max Bulgaria can get is 17.
    I'm not talking about Bulgaria catching us, I'm talking about the lowest second place team in the groups not qualifying for the playoffs.

Can't be ársed trying to work out all the permutations as there's too many if's and but's but it'll be clearer come Saturday evening.

blinding wrote: »
    You would expect a draw but who can be sure.
    If we can't get 2 points at the very least from the next two games we don't deserve a playoff place.

I'm not talking about Bulgaria catching us, I'm talking about the lowest second place team in the groups not qualifying for the playoffs.

oh yea forgot about that. Yea its tight alright. They cancel all results from bottom placed teams don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Des wrote: »
    Who knows.

Probably something to do with tax

I read last year that Denis O'Brien is tax resident in Malta, therefore pays no Irish tax.

So perhaps paying 50% of Trap's wages makes him feel like he's making a contribution. No harm in it anyway.
    1 more point will ensure we cannot be the lowest second place team in the groups.

1 more point will ensure we cannot be the lowest second place team in the groups.
    You're counting Group 9 though, where only the winner goes through......I think.

You're counting Group 9 though, where only the winner goes through......I think.

Its possible for 2 teams to qualify from Group 9. But one more point ensures we have a better record than Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Doesnt matter, we're not going to Qualify eitherways....

• Advertisement

Its possible for 2 teams to qualify from Group 9.
    Sorry, you're right. Don't know why I thought that. :confused:

But one more point ensures we have a better record than Norway.
    But is that not dependent on who finishes last in our group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think that serious questions have to be asked about Trappatoni now. Has he even seen Rowlands play? Can't quiet imagine him turning up at a QPR match. To call an unknown kid like him up while our best creative midfielder remains out of the squad is seriously troubling.

To call an unknown kid like him up while our best creative midfielder remains out of the squad is seriously troubling.

Ah come on now. Whatever you think about Reid, you can't call Rowlands an "unknown kid". Firstly he's 30 years old. Secondly he's been one of the most high profile players in the championship for the last few years. He already has Irish caps and was involved in Traps first ever squad. He's actually a decent player. He's becoming yet another victim of the " Andy Reid is the best and everyone else is crap" brigade.

Forgive my ignorance but because he's such an unknown, I assumed he was a youngster. I find the fact that he's nearing the end of his career and only now being considered as an international player even more worrying. When we have players being called into the squad that don't even have a club at the time, then it really seems like we're scrapping the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

At the end of it all we know that no matter what happens Rowland wont feature and neither will Reid so lets all stop using Reid as a feature to moan about Trap. We've done great to get were we are and I think that we've a great base to build on now to play against most teams. First you start small and at the back and then build it up and up....

• Advertisement

But is that not dependent on who finishes last in our group?

No. Montenegro finishing last would improve our standing, but it can't be worsened, so one more point guarantees it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think that serious questions have to be asked about Trappatoni now. Has he even seen Rowlands play? Can't quiet imagine him turning up at a QPR match. To call an unknown kid like him up while our best creative midfielder remains out of the squad is seriously troubling.
    Forgive my ignorance but because he's such an unknown, I assumed he was a youngster. I find the fact that he's nearing the end of his career and only now being considered as an international player even more worrying. When we have players in the squad that don't even have a club, then it really seems like we're scrapping the barrel.

He already has been capped for Ireland, he is 30 and has had injury problems for the last two-three years and that is why he hasnt been involved untill now, he was part of the training camp in Portugal so yes Trap has seen him play and knows exactly what he is capable of and there is no-one in the squad that does not have a club

All we can go on is facts.
    And the facts are:

Andy Reid is playing Premier League Football.
    Martin Rowlands in playing championship.

Andy Reid has played at clubs such as Spurs,Charlton,Sunderland under top coaches.
    Martin Rowland played at Brentford,QPR,Farnborough town.

Andy Reid has international experience, has 27 Caps (4 Goals)
    Martin Rowland has 3 Caps.

Basing it on facts, Reid should have been brought up the squad, in fact he should already be in the squad.
    We know reids form as of late has been quiet good.
    Has Trap even gone to see rowlands play this season?
    There are a lot of players in the squad playing at championship level, or in reserves for their respective clubs in the premier League.

whycliff wrote: »
    All we can go on is facts.
    And the facts are:

Andy Reid is playing Premier League Football.
    Martin Rowlands in playing championship.

Andy Reid has played at clubs such as Spurs,Charlton,Sunderland under top coaches.
    Martin Rowland played at Brentford,QPR,Farnborough town.

Andy Reid has international experience, has 27 Caps (4 Goals)
    Martin Rowland has 3 Caps.

Basing it on facts, Reid should have been brought up the squad, in fact he should already be in the squad.
    We know reids form as of late has been quiet good.
    Has Trap even gone to see rowlands play this season?
    There are a lot of players in the squad playing at championship level, or in reserves for their respective clubs in the premier League.

You missed out on one fact.

Reid had a bust up with Trap. Rowlands didn't .

Its clear to everyone that Reid would get his place if it was based purely on ability. However, there's more to this than meets the eye.

You missed out on one fact.

Reid had a bust up with Trap. Rowlands didn't .

Its clear to everyone that Reid would get his place if it was based purely on ability. However, there's more to this than meets the eye.

How professional are you if you let a personal opinion of someone, or a bust up come before what is the best for your team and your employers and their fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

how professional are you if you are over weight for years & seemingly not arsed to do anything about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Doesnt matter, we're not going to Qualify eitherways....
    thats the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Mr Alan wrote: »
    how professional are you if you are over weight for years & seemingly not arsed to do anything about it?

Thats not an issue now anymore.... is it ??
    Please don't use that as an excuse anymore :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Like the Steven Ireland issue, maybe there is more than meets the eye on this. Maybe there is more to it than a few cans and a shin-dig at 3am in a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Trilla wrote: »
    thats the spirit!

true though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

How professional are you if you let a personal opinion of someone, or a bust up come before what is the best for your team and your employers and their fans?

it's your opinion that in the circumstances what is best for the team is to get andy reid back in the squad. however, alex ferguson had "bust ups" with beckham, keane, stam and van nistlerooy, all of which ended with them being sold on. the fans weren't generally onside with any of these departures, but you can't call alex ferguson "unprofessional" for them. also, you have to note that andy reid has lost a stone and is getting a regular game now which he wasn't at the time he was dropped, yet you don't seem to be questioning his professionalism. just playing devil's advocate - i would like to see reid back in the squad and i think it will happen eventually.

Oh come on, of course Brady has some input on who gets included in the squad. He's one of the most respected youth coaches in the premiership, with possibly the best club at spotting young talent in Europe!

We're obv speculating but I didn't say he had no say...I said "F**K All" and the reason I say that is because I always thought Brady was an intellegent man and have a lot of respect for him and it doesn't take a genius to work out that Andy Reid would be a better option.

And speaking of naturally gifted players that don't fit into a system, Brady should know all about it. After all he never fit into Jack Charltons style of play, despite being arguably Irelands most skilful player at the time ( and indeed anytime).

Brady retrired in 1990...sure he was world class in his day but did he merit a place in the team at the twilight of his career? We had an ok team in 1990 ya know :rolleyes: Is there any others that were ommitted in order to, what was it you said, improve team morale or something?

I used the example of Real Madrid and England to illustrate my point that picking 11 "best" players doesn't naturally lead to a best team. You may not like the example because it doesn't fit in with your theory, however, it is valid. Its my firm belief that if we fielded Irelands "best" players without any regard for chemistry or style then we are doomed to failure.

No it doesn't support your arguement, that's why I didn'tthink it was a good example...simple as.

As for going a goal behind and unlocking a defence. Have you watched the qualifiers ??? Becuase if you have you'd realise that we have already risen to this challenge. But of course, you'll probably put all this down to luck and totally neglect to acknowledge the hard work of the Irish players. The work ethic that was introduced by Trappattoni.

We only fell behind twice, Georgia at home and Italy away. Yes we managed to beat Georgia at home (dodgy pen if I remember!) and we did get a draw against a 10 man Italy...hardly convincing is it?

Also when you say Reid is a proven premiership footballer. What exactly has he proven? Flopped at Tottenham and had a few decent games for Sunderland. Hardly setting the world alight is he? I actually think Keith Fahey looks more polished than him.

He has proven over the last number of years that he is of a premiership standard :rolleyes: Nice of you to exclude his time at Charlton, which was what got him his move to Spurs and if you have been watching him this season, I'm sure you'll agree that he is doing ok and proving that he is good enough to play in what will probably be a mid table premiership side.

As for teams ranked similar/higher to us that "on paper" should beat us heres a few...Croatia,USA,Greece,Serbia, Australia, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Mexico,....there's too many to mention just look at the list..

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

Very good, I see what you've done here. First it was "teams ranked similar to us should beat us on paper"...now it's "teams ranked similar / higher"; however the teams you mention are not of a similar ranking to us are they?

Croatia (9)
    USA (11)
    Greece (12)
    Serbia (13)
    Australia (14)
    Switzerland (15)
    Czech Republic (18)
    Bulgaria (19)
    Mexico (24)

wait for it

Republic of Ireland (38)

You failed to mention
    Gabon (34)
    Ecuador (36)
    Poland (36)
    Costa Rica (39)
    Japan (40)

You might aswel throw Brazil and Spain onto your list :rolleyes:

The fact is we are getting results and thats down to our management team and the hard work of the players. Despite what you may think of Miller and Rowlands, they won't rock the boat. And personally I don't want the boat rocked this close to qualification. When qualification is over, it could be time to take another look at Reid.

Why include Rowlands at this atage and not Reid...you are not making sense?

But until then people should stop assuming that Reid would make us play stylish football. We are simply not a stylish/creative team. We don't have the players. We get results through grit and determination. Its not pretty, but it does the job.

You just don't seem to get it...nobody is saying Reid will ultimately make us play stylish football, there saying why not include him in the squad...you said yourself he is "one of our more creative players".

I know what you mean but we don't know exactly what went on. Staunton wasn't respected by the Irish team. Lets face it the players basically walked all over him. Trap came in and needed to put his foot down. In a similar vein to Capello with England. A manager will achieve nothing if his players don't respect his presence. Reids exclusion, may seem drastic considering his ability, however, we can't measure how much Traps decisive action has impacted on the team.

I believe he sent a strong message to the players that no-one can question his authority and ultimately this created a stronger team.

People are almost putting this on par with Keane and Saipan. Its Andy Reid! He's a decent player but by no means indespensable as our results without him prove.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Professionally run premier league clubs had no issue with it, with Dieticians,Neutritionists,Doctors,Chiropractors,Physio's, Fitness coaches, i dont see why the amatuer outfit that is the FAI (who employ Mick "spongeman" Byrne to do all these jobs) and what is looking to be an amatuer manager looking for easy money in his retirement years should have issue with it either.

RGDATA! wrote: »
    however, alex ferguson had "bust ups" with beckham, keane, stam and van nistlerooy, all of which ended with them being sold on.

Republic of ireland don't have the luxury of buying and selling players.

it's your opinion that in the circumstances what is best for the team is to get andy reid back in the squad. however, alex ferguson had "bust ups" with beckham, keane, stam and van nistlerooy, all of which ended with them being sold on. the fans weren't generally onside with any of these departures, but you can't call alex ferguson "unprofessional" for them. also, you have to note that andy reid has lost a stone and is getting a regular game now which he wasn't at the time he was dropped, yet you don't seem to be questioning his professionalism. just playing devil's advocate - i would like to see reid back in the squad and i think it will happen eventually.

Club football is different, you can buy and sell quality players if they dont fall into line...
    You cannot compare teh Republic of Ireland to Man Utd, or Fergie to Trap.
    Fergie isnt in it to earn a quick buck...

it's your opinion that in the circumstances what is best for the team is to get andy reid back in the squad. however, alex ferguson had "bust ups" with beckham, keane, stam and van nistlerooy, all of which ended with them being sold on. the fans weren't generally onside with any of these departures, but you can't call alex ferguson "unprofessional" for them. .

Ferguson replaced those players with equally as good if not better players, or is Keane's case were let go when their performances slipped. Their exit didn't hurt the team's ability or performance.

The Republic of Ireland don't have the luxury to lose our best players. Beckham leaves United, he's replaced by Ronaldo, Andy Reid leaves and is replaced by an aging Championship journeyman with no international experience. Ireland can't afford to be without one of our (very) few creative players over some bloody daft sing-song and the manager needs to man-manage the situation so our on-pitch performances don't suffer.

and what is looking to be an amatuer manager looking for easy money in his retirement years should have issue with it either.
    Hahahahaha. :D

You just don't seem to get it...nobody is saying Reid will ultimately make us play stylish football, there saying why not include him in the squad...you said yourself he is "one of our more creative players".

I think its you that doesn't get it mate. I wish you'd quote me properly instead of adding in your own tit-bits so I can't quote everything you said.

Firstly you doubt Brady has any input because YOU always thought he was an intelligent man?? LOL so if someone doesn't think like you they're not intelligent?? Get off your high horse. The fact is Brady is part of the management team, the management team that (shock horror) don't agree with you!!

Brady had a falling out with Jack Charlton, who wanted Ireland to play in a different way which didn't include Brady ( Who was still our best player btw). Thats why he decided to retire. Stapleton was also a fringe player because once again Jack didn't think he fit in with the squad he was building. Read up on it buddy its not difficult.

It doesn't back up my argument..."simple as". Wow you really showed me.. "simple as". Wish I could back up my points with vague and inarticulate statments like that but it would just make me feel stupid. Each to their own I suppose.:pac:

Why include Rowlands and not Reid at this stage?? Hmmm let me try and make things a little bit simpler for you. Rowlands will not cause any tensions within the Irish Squad... Reid will becuase he had a major bust up with the manager. With two games left this is not the drama we need. Its really not rocket science Swar.

Yes he's one of are most creative players, but that means jack if he's going to upset the balance in the squad which I believe he would. Thats my OPINION. You do know some people have different opinions than you swar don't you?? You do know just because you think something and write it BOLD doesn't make it so. lol

PS Strange how you're such a big fan of Reid but don't really know much about his past. FYI he was actually a Spurs player before he was offloaded to Charlton. Spurs didn't sign him from Charlton for his performances. They didn't sign him from Charlton full stop. lol

• Advertisement

I'm well aware of Traps History, but i think its possible that the FAI has rubbed off on him.

I think its you that doesn't get it mate. I wish you'd quote me properly instead of adding in your own tit-bits so I can't quote everything you said.

When did I not quote you properly?

Also, you are the one that only quotes certain sections of my posts to respond to...the ones that are convenient to you I guess :rolleyes:

Firstly you doubt Brady has any input because YOU always thought he was an intelligent man?? LOL so if someone doesn't think like you they're not intelligent?? Get off your high horse. The fact is Brady is part of the management team, the management team that (shock horror) don't agree with you!!

Not what I said...I said I was speculating, as are you.

Brady had a falling out with Jack Charlton, who wanted Ireland to play in a different way which didn't include Brady ( Who was still our best player btw). Thats why he decided to retire. Stapleton was also a fringe player because once again Jack didn't think he fit in with the squad he was building. Read up on it buddy its not difficult.

It doesn't back up my argument..."simple as". Wow you really showed me.. "simple as". Wish I could back up my points with vague and inarticulate statments like that but it would just make me feel stupid. Each to their own I suppose.:pac:

I tried explaining why in a previous post and don't like repeating myself, which is why this is my last post on the matter.

Why include Rowlands and not Reid at this stage?? Hmmm let me try and make things a little bit simpler for you. Rowlands will not cause any tensions within the Irish Squad... Reid will becuase he had a major bust up with the manager. With two games left this is not the drama we need. Its really not rocket science Swar.

Why would Reid casuse tension...he had a bust up with the manager, not the players and if Trap did call him up he should be capable of controling the situation.

Yes he's one of are most creative players, but that means jack if he's going to upset the balance in the squad which I believe he would. Thats my OPINION. You do know some people have different opinions than you swar don't you?? You do know just because you think something and write it BOLD doesn't make it so. lol

Yes of course people have different opinions...you need to take a leaf out of your own book...it is a fourm afterall...at least it was the last time I checked.

LOL, I put my text in bold to distinguish it from yours (I don't want to be associated with what you had typed).

As a matter of interest, you mentioned in a previous post (please forgive me if I don't quote you exactly word for word), that we should get qualification out of the way first and then have another look at Reid. Do ou think he should be in the WC squad if we qualify?

but i think its possible that the FAI has rubbed off on him.
    How exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

How exactly?

In a diirty way :P You ever see Delaney after a few glasses of red wine :eek:

Well for a start, Trap has openly said he doesnt attend Premier League games, he wathces them on DVD in his mansion in Italy.
    Has he seen Rowland even play this year, has he seen miller,Gibson,O'Dea,St Ledger,Folan,Long,Leon Best none of these even play in the Premier League, has he seen any of these play?
    I know local club managers in North Kildare and Dublin go to matches to scout for potential new signings and to view their opposition.. This is very basic stuff.
    So far we have poxed a few results thanks to Robbie Keane, i think people opinion on Trap would be different were it not for him.

Yes of course people have different opinions...you need to take a leaf out of your own book...it is a fourm afterall...at least it was the last time I checked.

LOL, I put my text in bold to distinguish it from yours (I don't want to be associated with what you had typed).

As a matter of interest, you mentioned in a previous post (please forgive me if I don't quote you exactly word for word), that we should get qualification out of the way first and then have another look at Reid. Do ou think he should be in the WC squad if we qualify?

Firstly I can't quote you word for word because for some reason you refuse to use the quote facility properly. You should end each quote before inserting your own comments then I can reply accordingly. I have no problem addressing any issue you raise. You won't even have to use BOLD! Wouldn't that be fantastic.

As for Reid causing tension. He wouldn't even have to do anything. The fact is that the row, which lets face it is unsettled, would hang over the squad like a dark cloud. Thats natural. Which is why I don't feel we shouldn't introduce him for the last two qualifying games. You mess around with squad chemistry at your peril. The world cup is almost a year away. That gives plenty of time to mend bridges and perhaps re-introduce him.

LOL I happily take on board other peoples opinions as long as they are presented in a mature manner. Ranting and raving is just something that, like many people, I don't respond well to.

The point is I feel Andy Reids inclusion is an unnecessary risk given the history and give the timing (Last two qualifiers). Footballers aren't robots. They can't just forget their emotions. You seem to think that Reid will just walk back into the squad and everybody will just carry on as if nothing happened. I don't believe this will happen, and nothing you have said so far has persuaded me that it will.

• Advertisement

You can't compare international to club management. With the club its easy to ship in and ship out, with international you have a certain pick of players and you have to make the best of it, whether you like the individuals or not.

Alex Ferguson was certainly "unprofessional" in not picking Alan Hansen in the Scottish world cup squad of 1986, when Hansen was one of the best centre halfs in Europe, never mind Scotland. Probably one of the reasons Scotland failed to progress.

Well for a start, Trap has openly said he doesnt attend Premier League games, he wathces them on DVD in his mansion in Italy.
    And so far it hasn't been a problem. He's getting the team to play in the way he wants them to play, and more importantly he's getting results.

Has he seen Rowland even play this year, has he seen miller,Gibson,O'Dea,St Ledger,Folan,Long,Leon Best none of these even play in the Premier League, has he seen any of these play?
    I don't know, but neither do you.
    But either way I don't it makes a huge difference as long as it seems to work.

I know local club managers in North Kildare and Dublin go to matches to scout for potential new signings and to view their opposition.. This is very basic stuff.
    Fairplay to them. How many scouts have they got scouring the land for them? And also, these games that they go to, are many of them recorded on TV?

So far we have poxed a few results thanks to Robbie Keane, i think people opinion on Trap would be different were it not for him.
    There's an old saying, "I'd rather be lucky than good"
    Although mind you, I don't think that applies here, especially when you look at Trap's record. You can't really go on a 50 year lucky streak.

Going back to the original point, how exactly is he being amateurish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

His new 2 yr contract includes a 2yr Sky sub (in HD of course)....only the best

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

reids exclusion is getting more and more ridiculous. Hes playing great for sunderland. Someone should ask Eamon Dunphy to text Liam brady and tell him to tell Tardelli that he should tell Trappatoni to put in andy reid.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

The point is I feel Andy Reids inclusion is an unnecessary risk given the history and give the timing (Last two qualifiers). Footballers aren't robots. They can't just forget their emotions. You seem to think that Reid will just walk back into the squad and everybody will just carry on as if nothing happened. I don't believe this will happen, and nothing you have said so far has persuaded me that it will.

Sound slike you're confusing A. Reid with S. Ireland.....what has he done to the rest of the squad that would cause unrest???? what is this "thing" that happened that will upset them so

• Advertisement
Advertisement