Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trap adds Martin Rowlands?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

dogpile wrote: »
    Sound slike you're confusing A. Reid with S. Ireland.....what has he done to the rest of the squad that would cause unrest???? what is this "thing" that happened that will upset them so

No its sounds to me like alot of people here are confusing the two with regard to their talent and ability, this gross over-rating of Reid is actually comical tbh and while there are a few names in the squad who I would rate Reid ahead of he's exclusion is hardly a matter for National unrest.

We really have become a spoilt self-deluded nation in comparison to the pre '88 days why do people think we have any right to be doing any better than presently if you were to read this thread not knowing our results of the last 2 years you would be forgiven for thinking we were bottom of the group getting regularly hammered or something, we have actually gotten to the last two group games with a chance of topping a group with the world champions in it and people are questioning the manager and calling him amateurish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

No its sounds to me like alot of people here are confusing the two with regard to their talent and ability, this gross over-rating of Reid is actually comical tbh and while there are a few names in the squad who I would rate Reid ahead of he's exclusion is hardly a matter for National unrest.

:

Is A.Reid a better squad member than Miller/Rowlands?

simple yes or no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well now Duff is out too, and we're looking at a central midfield pairing of Miller and Hunt? Where's the creativity supposed to come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We really have become a spoilt self-deluded nation in comparison to the pre '88 days why do people think we have any right to be doing any better than presently if you were to read this thread not knowing our results of the last 2 years you would be forgiven for thinking we were bottom of the group getting regularly hammered or something, we have actually gotten to the last two group games with a chance of topping a group with the world champions in it and people are questioning the manager and calling him amateurish :rolleyes:

So much is wrong with this post it's untrue.

We quite clearly do NOT have the best players available to us in our squad - and haven't for some time - and yet, as you say, we are in a decent position. So then, exactly how do you therefore reach the conclusion that it's "spoilt" and "self deluded" to think we can actually do better?

It's a bit like doing well in an exam having not prepared for it properly. Is it "spoilt" and "self deluded" to think that had there been enough preparation, a better result could have been achieved? Of course not.

We are not a spoilt and self deluded nation. We are a nation aware that we do not have a massive pool of talent available and who want to see the players who do possess talent included to maximise our chances.

Posts like yours typify the amateurish, defeatist, "Give it a lash" claptrap that needs to be abandoned if we are to move forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Sound slike you're confusing A. Reid with S. Ireland.....what has he done to the rest of the squad that would cause unrest???? what is this "thing" that happened that will upset them so

Sounds like that doesn't it, but I'm not. If you haven't been living under a rock for the entire qualifying campaign you would know that Reids exclusion is partly due to a bust up he had with Trap. What exactly happened we don't know. All we know is that the management don't feel his presence would be beneficial at the moment. Thats perfectly understandable IMO.

The current team have done pretty well so far and are on the verge of a playoff place. We owe that to the management yet still they receive criticism! For what?? For not including a footballer who A) had a bust up with Trap B) was one of the more outspoken players when the managerial doormat Staunton was sacked and C) Only took the responsibility to loose TWO STONE of weight THIS SUMMER!!

In football terms he's only been properly fit a "wet week" and we're expected by some fans to roll out the red carpet for him to return for two final qualifying games after the hard work has already been done?? I don't think so.

So much is wrong with this post it's untrue.

We quite clearly do NOT have the best players available to us in our squad - and haven't for some time - and yet, as you say, we are in a decent position.

The only notable players I can think of that are missing are Ireland and Andy Reid. Stephen Irelands a total pr7ck. Its not the managements fault he wont play. And Andy Reid had a bust up with management.

And of course we're in a good position. We are second ( and undefeated) in a group that includes Italy and Bulgaria (Both teams with far better national pools than us). We're second only to the World Champions...

You may not like the style of football, you may not like the players or the management, but you can hardly say we're not in a good position.

If you want to direct your anger at someone for Ireland not fielding its best team, send your letters to City of Manchester stadium for the attention of Stephen Judas Ireland. If Irish fans have any anger it should be directed at that little sh7t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Sounds like that doesn't it, but I'm not. If you haven't been living under a rock for the entire qualifying campaign you would know that Reids exclusion is partly due to a bust up he had with Trap.

That's not the story according to Trappatoni himself, you obviously know different and more than most seem it seems...if for football reasons(his reason) Reid is not in the team then fair enough, many won't agree but results suggest you can't really argue against it...

if for football reasons he can't even make "the squad"!!! the consensus of opinion is that this is wrong

That's not the story according to Trappatoni himself, you obviously know different and more than most seem it seems...if for football reasons(his reason) Reid is not in the team then fair enough, many won't agree but results suggest you can't really argue against it...

if for football reasons he can't even make "the squad"!!! the consensus of opinion is that this is wrong

The bust up was widely reported. See link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1077365/Irelands-sing-song-star-Andy-Reid-tune-boss-Trapattoni.html

And as I said Im sure the exclusion was partly due to this. Trapattoni didn't come out and publicly slate him because he's a good manager.

As for footballing reasons, When Andy Reid was intially left out he was overweight and wasn't playing particulary well anyway. It took him until the Summer of 2009 to change this. By now the team has been moulded and is on the verge of a playoff place. I really don't see why people are kicking up such a fuss over his exclusion now. For me it seems logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Whilst I'm extremely disappointed Andy Reid has been ignored once again, perhaps Rowland, if he comes on, might be better suited to the 'system' than the invisible twins? Sounds like he can tackle unlike Whelan and Andrews. Northern Ireland have a squad full of Championship players and they aren't as uncomfortable in possession as us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Its silly now that he hasn't even been considered :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I cannot wait to hear what Dunphy has to say on the whole issue!! SHould be colourful, i still dont think Reid will be called up...even with Gibson,Duff and S.Reid injured, i think Trap will decide not to call anyone up to the squad.

Advertisement