Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who owns IRCSET laptop?

Options
  • 05-10-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

This is directed at those who have used their IRCSET funding to purchase a computer in their first year of research. My department are suggesting that they will be the sole owners of the computer when purchased. I was under the impression that the I would own the computer and would be able to keep it once I finished my PhD. Anyone else in this situation?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I suspect to some degree the issue won't really be a problem since the machine probably will be obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭lumpwood

Red Alert wrote: »
    I suspect to some degree the issue won't really be a problem since the machine probably will be obsolete.

True...most people seem to just leave them lying around when they finish anyways.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Assuming the machine will be approx four years old by then, especially a laptop nobody'd want it anyway. It could just get sucked into use as a control computer for an instrument or something similar....

I'd be very surprised if you weren't let keep it. IRCSET certainly wouldn't be looking for it back I'd say: in most grants, the money has to be shown to have been spent on computer equipment (or whatever other categories that money is allocated for). The actual purchase and usage of the equipment is by the grant-holder.

Advertisement