Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 05-10-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Guys

I have a serious problem noticed a few rats around last week after the grain was cut in field out the back of our house, went to town on Saturday & bought one of those prebaited rat boxs (about the size of a small shoe box)
    and also some wax blocks which I fixed to 2ft piece fo 2" by 1" and placed in side a 4" wavin pipe and put the bait box at one side of the ditch & the blocks
    at the other side on saturday evening
    Checked them yesterday at lunchtime and the bait box was gone!!!!!(box and all)
    went to the other side of this ditch and the wax block of poison was gone also along with the 2 foot piece of 2" by 1" it was attached to

What am i dealing with here could a rat do this?????

Thanks

Dawna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's amazing, a rat carrying off the box. Are there dogs about?
    A neighbour that don't agree with this?

You could try Monarch traps, catches them alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Look around the area, the rat won't have gone far with the box.
    I agree with the Live trap idea I got This one at a fair for €5 and it works brilliantly, I got 2 or 3 early in summer and haven't had any problems since.
    The trick with keeping them under control is constant pressure, I shoot and trap and don't have any problems even though we keep chickens.
    I find poisoning a bit indiscriminate, Rats get poisoned and die and Birds of Prey/other animals eat then and die in turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I find poisoning a bit indiscriminate, Rats get poisoned and die and Birds of Prey/other animals eat then and die in turn.
    Try using bran mixed with hardwall powder instead of poison. It works a treat and no knock on effect for other animals

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The best rat trap to date i have ever used..... Its called the big cheese and you set it with your foot. Nothing is getting away from it.

Available in woodies and atlantic. They do a smaller version for Mice.

Advertisement