Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

part time job in ucd - taxed to hell?

Options
  • 05-10-2009 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

My gf has been offered a part time job in UCD, only a temporary contract (8 weeks before xmas, 8 after) for 9.50 per hour, for 9 hours a week. By our calclationms that would mean €342 gross pay per month. She wants to take it as it would cover her rent, but I think she might get taxed too much and then it wouldn't be worth it. She's not doing any other work and is a single person (ie not married and no dependents)
    Does anyone work in UCD? Do you pay much tax? Can anyone help us decide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Assuming she works nowhere else then she should not have to pay any tax.as long as she registers the employment by filling out a form 12a (i think),she will be entitled to single person tax credit and paye tax credit coming to a total of around 3600euro per annum!which means she could earn around 18000 before she has to pay tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭pepsi1234

I doubt she'd be taxed for such a low wage. However, she will have emergency tax deducted etc but she will be able to claim it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

She should be fine, as the first poster said she's well under the threshold so she should only be taxed for PRSI and maybe some on top of that

UCD, however, are notoriously slow in processing P45s etc. so she could face emergency tax for up to 4-6 weeks. Make sure she gets all that stuff sorted ASAP once she starts, especially if it is before Christmas

That is only applicable if the job is from UCD i.e. you are being paid by UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

if its per month shell be fine, if its per week then she would start bein taxed, i think its roughly up to three hundred a week you can earn

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

She should be OK, just make sure to get off the emergency tax and onto her correct rate ASAP.

If she already has a job, she should bring her P45 with her to UCD. This will get her put on the correct tax rate.

If not, either UCD or she should ring the tax office and get them to send the "Certificate of Tax Free Allowances" to UCD, which will tell them the correct PAYE amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Most tfa's are now done online with ROS, it can still take weeks to get sorted.

With earnings like that emergency tax probably isn't going to come into it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

if its per month shell be fine, if its per week then she would start bein taxed, i think its roughly up to three hundred a week you can earn
    By our calclationms that would mean €342 gross pay per month.

Take the job.

Advertisement