Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change course

• 05-10-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi everyone, my son has just started first year in Sligo IT and is doing mechatronics enginnering. He is finding it very diffucult especially the maths. Does anyone know if he can change his course? I hate seeing him unhappy.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

I don't know if he would be able to change his course.

But he should really consider talking to his maths lecturer to try and address some of his problems. A trip into student services might be a good idea as well to find out about swapping courses and to just generally chat about the issues he's having.

He should act quickly though to find out his options..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

He should talk to the head of department. Also working with the maths lecturer to overcome the problems that he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

I tried changing into that course from civil eng but they wouldnt take me because of it being full.:( not too many doing civil so he might be let move to that. i think the deadline for changing or taking a course is sometime in october, so he might still be in with a chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 noel51

Hi all thanks for the advice. My son is going to talk the head of department today, hope everything goes all right for him.
    will keep ye updated.
    Cheers

ayapatrick wrote: »
    I tried changing into that course from civil eng but they wouldnt take me because of it being full.:( not too many doing civil so he might be let move to that. i think the deadline for changing or taking a course is sometime in october, so he might still be in with a chance?
    Hi there thanks for that, is there a lot of maths in civil eng?

• Advertisement

noel51 wrote: »

Nothing too difficult imo. I dont find it too bad, the first while i was at it, it looked difficult but when you get in on it its pretty reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I lived with one of my mates that did civil eng, he found the maths very hard, 3rd and 4th were the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sim card

Hi All.

As a past student of the Bachelor of Civil Engineering in Sligo I know how difficult it is. The reason it is so hard is to do with the Engineers Ireland accreditation. 3rd and 4th year maths is tough and the work load you will get on top of a final year project you can kiss your social life good bye.

I cant speak about the early years of the coarse as i completed it at a different IT.

In a nutshell the course is tough, however the professional qualification you receive is recognised in many countries around the world.

How did your son get on.

Because the entry to first year is controlled by the CAO, this limits your son's options.

He would only be able to transfer into a programme that went to vacant places at the start of the year.

That way he would not have denied someone who picked the place before him a place.

If he wants to go to the admissions office and talk to someone about changing course, he should explore his options there.

I think going to Civil is the wrong choice if he is having trouble with maths as previous posters said it is the most maths intensive programme in he college.

Options might include Business, or Computing.
    Both of these streams would have less maths and allow transfer at the end of first year.

Hope it works out for your son, and it is good to try and get it sorted this early in the year.

http://www.itsligo.ie/current_students/maths-support.html

Some information on Walk in Maths tutorials which might be useful.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. Anyways my son spoke to his maths lecturer and he has decided to stay with the course. He is beginning to find the Maths a bit easier now:):). Thanks very much to all of you for the information.
    Just one more thing:confused: somebody has told my son that if he misses days from college he wont get his grant for the month does any of you know if that is true or how does it work?

Hi everyone,

Just one more thing:confused: somebody has told my son that if he misses days from college he wont get his grant for the month does any of you know if that is true or how does it work?
    there is a minimum amount of attendance required alright. In civil eng you have to attend 70 % of lectures to pass the year and its 80% for practical subjects, and friends in mechanical say its the same for them;), but iirc its a lot less attendance required for the grant.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. Anyways my son spoke to his maths lecturer and he has decided to stay with the course. He is beginning to find the Maths a bit easier now:):). Thanks very much to all of you for the information.

for the grant he will need to sign a form when it is sent around. Not sure if it is sent all the time (once monthly) or just spot check.

He should have signed a form in the past couple of weeks (which would have been passed around the class) for the first grant.

If he is a good attender and legitimatly misses the grant he can appeal in the admissions office opposite the library. If the appeal is upheld he will get 2 grant payments next month.

I would encourage your son to attend particularly if he is ahving difficulty with some aspects of the course. If he is having difficulty and not attending, it will be a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

if he has missed signing the sheet he just has to go and sign it again at the registry office. They will probably ask him why he missed it, he can just tell them he was sick, or he was in but didn't see the sheet or he can tell them to mind their own business because it was a private matter.

I missed signing the sheet a couple of times when i was there because i was away playing rugby for the college, but because i was representing the college i was exempt, i also used to get my friends to sign it if it came around and i wasn't in.

best thing to do it just go to class, if you are there you can't miss it and he will be able to improve his maths

Advertisement