Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of increasing size

• 05-10-2009 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

:confused:Hi guys,
    Can anyone terll me if the relative cost of buidling goes down with the increase of sq footage? Like if I'm building and the cost is say €80 a square foot, if I increase the size of the house will the €80 still be valid or should it come down. Basically what I want to see is would my house costs increase loads if I got the planner to increase my house by about 500sq feet. Its currently around 3500 sq feet and I'd like to increse it to make three of the rooms a little bit wider! Will this result in the costs getting a lot higher also?? Thanks for your help!!:)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CBLPool wrote: »
    :confused:Hi guys,
    Can anyone terll me if the relative cost of buidling goes down with the increase of sq footage? Like if I'm building and the cost is say €80 a square foot, if I increase the size of the house will the €80 still be valid or should it come down. Basically what I want to see is would my house costs increase loads if I got the planner to increase my house by about 500sq feet. Its currently around 3500 sq feet and I'd like to increse it to make three of the rooms a little bit wider! Will this result in the costs getting a lot higher also?? Thanks for your help!!:)

yes, the price is reduced....

recently had a tender price accepted at roughly €100 per sq ft...

went to look at increasing floor area by 200 sq ft, and the extra came to €12,000... so 60 per sq ft.... or 60% of initial total quote per sq ft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Yes similar experience here to syd's.

But I think it's worth remembering that the €100 or €80/sq ft are loose enough costs and say, if you choose any one of the following items
    i) put a shower in the downstairs WC as there is room,
    ii) increase the output size of the boiler from 90,000 to 120,000,
    iii) you want a shower over bath instead of a shower in your ensuite,
    and asked the builder to include it, his quote is not likely to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Just finishing a new build with a contractor, i would not read to much into costing a house per sq ft/mtr. Builders tend to give a general cost with a breakdown at the different stages. This changes as your finish changes, there cant really be a price per sq mtr. You can deduce the cost you end up paying paying when you get the costings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CBLPool

So do you mean a builder will not give me a quote that I can say thats how much it will cost to build if I do not change anything? Like its not a fixed price is it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

The builder will give you a cost to complete the house as you lay it down to a specified finish. The theory of ringing a builder and asking how much do you charge per sq ft does not work as every house is different.

Trust me when i say this, nearly every person building a house has best intentions not to add on extras but inevitably you will so be prepared.

• Advertisement
Advertisement