Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband - Problem getting signal

• 05-10-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Apologies if this was covered before - but luckilty ive never had to post an issue before re: BB

Had IBB for 16 months with absolutely no problems. My town (Maynooth), has a digiweb antenna at one end of the town and a IBB antenna 1.5km away (beside the motorway). I couldnt get digiweb originally but IBB suited very nicely as the antenna was at a different angle.

As I said - No problems at all until 10 days ago. Internet service dropped completely from their equipment. Had the field engineers out at lunchtime today. They went up on their "cherry picker" and couldnt get a signal. Strangely, they said they didnt understand how I ever got connected as there is a tree blocking the line of sight. Tree couldnt have grown that quickly - even in 16 months surely :) ??

The field engineers had no option but to take down my aerial, cancel my account etc. The guy in the helpdesk, very helpful, is very confused why it suddenly stopped working. I worked for a major ISP for 4 years and I would be very confused if you suddenly found out that an existing customer cannot get the service they always had :confused:

Now my IBB is disconnected - so you could argue that my thread is useless :p

Just wondering if anybody has had the same issue where they suddenly become ineligible for a wireless service when they are already a customer ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I had a very similar
    problem last December with a different provider. Connection
    suddenly stopped working, engineer saying a tree was the problem, which it wasn't. Eventually pushed them to try putting up a new antenna and voilà it was working perfectly. So a broken antenna is possibly what your problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like either IBB have changed something, that they don't want to tell you about, and it's dropped their coverage range, or the antenna is broken. A tree doesn't seem like the likely interference, if the signal went from good to bad in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Thanks for the responses, folks

At this stage its too late :( I came home from work last night and there is a big gap where the aerial used to be.

Its all a little suspicious to me. They emailed me about 3 weeks ago to say that they were doing work in the area and I would lose 2 hours of service etc etc. 2 Days later and the internet stopped working. From my days working for an ISP - that is waayyy too much of a coincidence. They told me yesterday that the planned work was to "upgrade the hardware" on their transmitter. Hmmmmmmmmm !
    Ah well - guess I may have to go for DSL in the end

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

delricyo wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Apologies if this was covered before - but luckilty ive never had to post an issue before re: BB

Had IBB for 16 months with absolutely no problems. My town (Maynooth), has a digiweb antenna at one end of the town and a IBB antenna 1.5km away (beside the motorway). I couldnt get digiweb originally but IBB suited very nicely as the antenna was at a different angle.

As I said - No problems at all until 10 days ago. Internet service dropped completely from their equipment. Had the field engineers out at lunchtime today. They went up on their "cherry picker" and couldnt get a signal. Strangely, they said they didnt understand how I ever got connected as there is a tree blocking the line of sight. Tree couldnt have grown that quickly - even in 16 months surely :) ??

The field engineers had no option but to take down my aerial, cancel my account etc. The guy in the helpdesk, very helpful, is very confused why it suddenly stopped working. I worked for a major ISP for 4 years and I would be very confused if you suddenly found out that an existing customer cannot get the service they always had :confused:

Now my IBB is disconnected - so you could argue that my thread is useless :p

Just wondering if anybody has had the same issue where they suddenly become ineligible for a wireless service when they are already a customer ?

IBB have antennas for non line of sight ,

My roof was too high and steep and the lads were not keen at all to get up on it and put the standard antenna onto the chimney . So they put it down lower which didnt have line if sight to the mast . They used what they called a breeze max antenna (square radio instead of the usual diamond shape) which the installers said was for non line of sight cases, they were iffy about using them but its been working away fine ever since

Advertisement