Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will the government fall?

Options
  • 05-10-2009 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I would like to know what you think will eventually bring down this Government

I would like to see them removed sooner rather than later for many reason, incompetence being the main one but they do seem to be able to withstand any and all threats. They have done a good job of seperating themselves from reality and completely ignoring the sentiments of the general public so far so what will it take to bring them down?

A scandal of epic proportions

Government partners suddenly getting a pair

The rabble (me and you)

The total collapse of the economy

Backbenchers revolting

?????????

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They can out-ride most scandals as we have seen so far.
    Their backbenchers are useless and just want to climb the party org to get on the gravy train.
    The Greens TD's are cowards and FF's lapdogs.
    The rabble are too complacent/stressed over how long their job is going to last/afraid to speak up, etc...

At present our only hope is that the average background supporters of the Greens don't vote to support their leaders shortly.

Other than that - I won't hold my breath.
    Please gawd - prove me wrong for the sake of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

If the Greens came across as wanting to defend their reputations and dignity, I'd say it would be them that'd pull the plug.

Given though that they are gagging to get a deal done with FF so that they can stay in power and make us walk places with pet badgers and eat carrots, then its clear that both parties are going to accomodate each other to the bitter end.

I had hoped for a GE after Saturday's meeting but given the loving tones coming from the talks, I despairingly think we're in for another 2 years of the cat licking the organic cream at the top while the rest of us paddle away at the bottom of the pint for dear life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Biggins wrote: »
    They can our-ride most scandels as we have seen so far.
    Their backbenchers are useless and just want to climb the part org to get on the gravy train.

At present our only hope is that the average background supporters of the Greens don't vote to support their leaders shortly.

Other than than that - I won't hold my breath.

I must admit I am thinking along these lines, :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

A scandal of epic proportions

The total collapse of the economy

To my mind the above has already happened and nothing happened. However, as said above the root and branch of the Greens may bring it about.

With that said if FG can hang on in opposition for the full term they'd likely stay in power for at least a decade. Careful what you wish for and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

smcgiff wrote: »
    To my mind the above has already happened and nothing happened. However, as said above the root and branch of the Greens may bring it about.

With that said if FG can hang on in opposition for the full term they'd likely stay in power for at least a decade. Careful what you wish for and all that...

Its a sad indictment of Irish politics when the only replacement is a carbon copy of the problem. I have great faith in labour to keep FG in check though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,324 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well unless a New Political party comes out of the woodworks made up of new faces with solid ideas that have nothing to do with vaccinating badgers....

Either way unless something does change the current status quo will drift along indefinitely, and the ****ers in charge will get richer, you the little man will get poorer, and they will somehow convince you they are not to blame, so you will vote them in again. More than likely you'll contiunue to defer more and more control to europe until you're just the next Illinois - with as much corruption.

To be perfectly honest with you, I think you already lost. A long time ago. But it is just so very refreshing to see so many of you suddenly waking up to what I've been trying to say for a couple years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

We have to restore faith in the system though. Theres one key element that has been lost in Ireland that remains in other countries..

Public outrage of this magnitude has to trigger an election.

As long as we live in a country where once a party is elected, they have untouched 5 years of giving the 2 fingers to the electorate, then we're stuck as we are.

If FG get in, yes they might be inept, but if they are, we throw them out after 2 or 3 years or as torrential controversy occurs. Cue general election. That cycle goes on and on until eventually politicians realise that if they act like elite scum, they get the boot. Ethics and manners will soon return.

Until we lose the culture of 2 fingers to the electorate, we're going nowhere.
    I don't trust the Green grass roots to call it like this. I'm hearing plenty from them already this week saying "its a great time to get green policies through.." Great news if you're a fekin badger.. just hope the badger never has to get a job and feed his family from a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

FF will never walk out of government so the only realistic way for it to happen is for the greens to walk. The greens should have never gotten into bed with FF in the first place-they should have waited until a more palatable party offered them a coalition. They are stained forever now.

Its a sad indictment of Irish politics when the only replacement is a carbon copy of the problem. I have great faith in labour to keep FG in check though...

Well I think it really comes down to what the parties will run on in the next election.

Were a party to run on *proper* cuts and other such measures so that this country can become competitive and prosperous again, would they get the support? I'm not too sure if they would...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭The Valley

I'd bet the greens will pull out of government sooner rather than later because if they go the full term they know a faith similar to the PD's awaits.
    If they pull out now they will defo take a drubbing in the next general election but will be in a position to rebuild.

As for the backbenchers, if they have not moved now they never will.

I would like to see FG in power but not with Enda Kenny, as it stands he gives the goverment credability every time he speaks. I'm not sure about Gilmore, I know he will not stand up to the unions.

Another thought on the GREENS - if the government fall over something else and not on them walking out of goverment they are fu@ked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Biggins wrote: »
    They can out-ride most scandals as we have seen so far.
    Their backbenchers are useless and just want to climb the party org to get on the gravy train.
    The rabble are too complacent/stressed over how long their job is going to last/afraid to speak up, etc...

Other than that - I won't hold my breath.

I'd go along with that. I think if greens don't pull out, the government will fall with the budget.

If they don't, the opposition don't deserve to take power as its being gifted to them on a plate.

murphaph wrote: »
    FF will never walk out of government so the only realistic way for it to happen is for the greens to walk. The greens should have never gotten into bed with FF in the first place-they should have waited until a more palatable party offered them a coalition. They are stained forever now.

Whatever about getting into Government with FF in the first place, they should have walked as soon as this whole mess became apparent. They've hmm'd and haw'd at every scandal and at this stage the party will be gone by the next election when they fail to win one single seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They've got the yes then they'll get NAMA come December they'll get the budget but then they will want out I'd say by February (election before Christmas is a bad idea) they'll engineer a reason for the government to fall leaving FG to pick up the sh1t make the necessary hard decisions and take the blame for them 4-5 years time FF return with new leaders all glossy an shiny.

So lets open a book on how and when the government will fall (there's no if)

I'm calling Mid Feb - Jackie Healy Rae withdraws support over Gay Marriages (in churches) bill 2009

Advertisement