Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study in Australia

Options
  • 05-10-2009 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I wonder could anyone shed some light on the education system in Oz. What colleges would be the equivalent of our Institutes of Technology? The BF and I really want to spend a year or so working or studying in Sydney, and the work route seems beyond our reach at the moment what with the change to the visa processing times. We are both too old for the WHV.
    I have considered doing further study anyway so this may be an option, however all the masters seems to cost a lot. I am wondering if a post grad cert or diploma in a technical college might be cheaper? Any ideas? I have a degree in HR, also a degree in business and am a qualified trainer, so would be interested in a broad range of courses, doesn't have to be post grad but it would need to be relevant.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi JuJu,

I worked for TAFE International students centre when I was in Sydney on WHV, I'm a bit out of practice with this its been 2 and half years since I worked there. I was only dealing with "new" first year students so not sure how it works with continuing course. I remember thinking it was crazy expensive but that was me used to studying for free.

anyway the website is http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/tafe/index.html

TAFE are basically the ITs over here just that they are all a branch if TAFE.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aiecquest

Think you will find that DET International courses that may lead to residency are often full and/or expensive. Many of the private colleges are cheaper, and more flexible entry points etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JuJuBean

Thanks for you replies Tilly/ Aiequest - I will look into both of those. Am interested in the private colleges. Are the courses approved by the governement for study visas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aiecquest

You need to be looking for CRICOS registered for international students by DEEWR Department of Education, Employment & Workplace Relations, i.e. collge course must be registered on Course Register of International Course for Overseas Students to offer place.

Much depends upon what objectives or outcomes you want, all different :)

Advertisement