Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how much do you spend on Santa?

Options
  • 05-10-2009 4:25pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Following on form the "Dog called Biscuit" thread I feel that this needs a thread all of its own.

Well,
    How much do you spend or will spend on Santa per child?
    Do you have any set rules?
    Or do you just buy them everything they want regardless?

We allow them to pick 2 presents each from Santa and we pick them up a couple of surprises and stocking fillers.

Spend?We kinda base it on the kids ages--By that I mean we wont be spending 2 or 3 hundred euro on the 1.5 or 3 year old but the 7 year old wants a bike so he`ll get that and something small.
    The 11 year will probably have a similar amount spent on her aswell though.

This year we`ve 4 for Santa 1.5,3 and 7,11.

1.5 year old is Doll mad so she`ll probably get her Doll and buggy that she keeps robbing on the 3 year old :)
    3 year old wants a playhouse and dolls clothes.
    7 year old wants a bicycle and ben 10 stuff
    and 11 year old wants a Telescope and new phone.
    After that its down to what we pick them up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've only the one whose 12 and no longer believes but when she did we used to leave it to a maximum of 70.00 euros.

I always think its best to be a bit modest at Xmas and save the big gifts for birthdays. My parents were quite badly off during my childhood and could never spend much so I was always left feeling very down because my presents were never as flash as anyone else's and its always stuck with me.

Now she no longer believes we're just going to give her the money instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We'd play it by ear but generally spend 100-150 ish on Santa for the youngfella (12). Occasionally we throw caution to the wind and get him something big (this year for his birthday we got him a trip to Anfield, but that was a whopper of a present. Last year his birthday pressie cost 125). Last christmas we were away at Christmas so the holiday was part of the Christmas pressie. Apart from the holiday I'd guess that we spent < 100 on his Christmas pressie and it was all stuff that we bought over there.

Last year the little one (who was just under 2 at the time) got about 30 euro spent on her. No idea what we'll spend on her this year, but it'll definitely be under 100 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

We let them pick one thing that they want from Santa (within reason) and they usually get a big-ish present from us too (to make the inevitable a bit easier on them). They also get stocking fillers etc. I don't think we've ever gone over say 80 euro on one item and usually it's less (40-50) for the big present. That said the 7 year old needs a new bike this year so it will be a bit more. We tend to stock up on new books, dvds and art and craft stuff though to keep us all amused over xmas so overall I suppose we spend more on them than we think we are!

I can't believe we're talking about christmas already:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i have spent an astronomical amount of money every christmas so far, last year i nearly touched 1k on a four and a half yr old. ridiculous. i was spoiled rotten at christmas when i was a child so i've carried it on.
    every christmas eve i panic thinking theres not enough. i feel really sorry for kids who get really little amounts because in my head i think, they think, "why did santy not think i was a good girl/boy" when comparing to the other children.
    anywho, its not gonna be a very extravagant christmas this year, because i simply dont have it. but ideally, i think spend whatever you can. spoil the little rips rotten at christmas!

i have spent an astronomical amount of money every christmas so far, last year i nearly touched 1k on a four and a half yr old. ridiculous. i was spoiled rotten at christmas when i was a child so i've carried it on.

Good God:eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

littlebug wrote: »
    Good God:eek: :eek:

i had it posted before i realised it wasn't going to be the general theme....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Ive been the same as we'llallhavetea, but this year is my first as a single parent & I think I will have to cut back quite a lot. I was thinking of getting him a laptop(he's 6) til one of my friends smacked me on the head so mabey I wont be getting the laptop. Other than that Ive no idea what Im getting him...wont be spending more than 300 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ah I think this thread is all about honesty. Fair play to you for posting it. I appreciate it (though I also find it a "holy crap" amount).

edit: In the interest of being more up front: The holiday last Christmas was a month in Thailand and his plane ticket had cost around 700 euro so it depends how you look at it.

Sorry for my shocked faces:o. I don't think you're alone though... I'm often shocked at how much people spend and I'm surprised when I find out that we're at the lower end of the spending scale.

My two have never been anything less than delighted with what they've got at Christmas so I guess it's all relative :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

last year i nearly touched 1k on a four and a half yr old. ridiculous.

Holy crap.How you even managed to spend that on a 4.5 year old is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My daughters birthday is two weeks before Christmas so I think we'll get her her big present (she'll be one and getting a Smart Trike) for her birthday and then some small things for Christmas this year. I want to get her a little ride on car thingy (Mickey Mouse one!) and some v tech stuff for babies hopefully!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Judging by his reaction to the unbirthday present he got today, about 10 euros worth of bubble wrap for the young fella. His sister is far too young for Christmas, but maybe next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Not looking forward to trying to guess what they'd like for Christmas! Ours are 5 and 3. Last year we spent around 250 on the two of them, which was the most ever and totally got it wrong. Eldest wanted a Barbie Diamond Castle which she never mentioned once before Christmas morning when presents were opened and no Barbie. She saw another little girl with one at the childminders. She's very 'deep', thinks a lot but says very little, so trying to get information out of her is impossible. Poor little thing was very sick, running a very high temp and, worst of all, disappointed.

No idea what to get this year- well, we always buy a book and some small stocking fillers but the 'big present'? Help! :(

Last year was the first year they really understood Christmas so before that we often bought nothing at all because they got some presents from family and friends so we just put those under the tree and spent the money instead on things they needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No offence but 1k for a four year old... :eek: You could have stashed half of that in a bank account for them instead...or treated yourself... :)

I'd probably spend a fair bit for a special present, like a football trip as mentioned already, but in general, I would be looking at a few hundred. Not really an issue yet cos my boy will only be 18 months old this Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Well my lil one still wont know whats goin on.. wil be two in feb.. last year I spent a fortune between clothes and toys.

In same boat as Maddison as this yr i will be a single parent.
    have already spent 150 on her main presents.
    But I have a feeling I will be runnin around last min thinking she wont have enough.
    I have 500 saved for the rest. That will include clothes for over the xmas too:o

Its stupid really the amout that will be spent but when you only have one and they are your first it is hard not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Cookie Jar wrote: »
    In same boat as Maddison as this yr i will be a single parent.

Fancy setting up a club:D

The broke ass single mothers club:D

Maddison wrote: »
    Fancy setting up a club:D

The broke ass single mothers club:D

Please.
    I bought the present about a month ago so I wudnt have to struggle too much:pac:
    To be honest Im lucky I have the money put aside. Good oul credit union xmas club:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My baby will be one on new years day:)
    We have got baby born for her (the 1+ one) she is going to get loads of presents from friends and family and is not going to understand so will do the house up nice for her but not going over board for a few years:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My lads are 14 and almost 12 so no longer believe. They just want cash or vouchers for a sports shop.

We never set an amount on what they got for christmas but we didn't go mad. If they got a big present like a playstation it was between them. We always bulked out their presents with things that they needed like clothes, pyjamas, slippers, books, cinema tickets, etc

The one thing we've noticed is that as they get older the presents gets physically smaller but often more expensive. ;)

This year I'm thinking of getting a laptop between them or else a trip to a premier league or international rugby match. They're happy with whatever they get anyway.

Wantobe it might be worth asking your childminder to sound out your daughter and see if she can find out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Thanks Deisemum. She started school this year and after that she is minded by our au-pair when I'm working. Our au-pair is brilliant with her but still no information. We wouldnt hear a thing about school, teacher, her friends-zero! It sounds funny but I was like that as a child too. I'm almost at the point where I let her watch tv just to let her see the ads! LOL.

We used to get all the catalogues, Argos, Toymaster, ELC, World of Wonder and let them rummage through them.

Maybe suss out her friends nearer the time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

deisemum wrote: »
    We used to get all the catalogues, Argos, Toymaster, ELC, World of Wonder and let them rummage through them.

Maybe suss out her friends nearer the time.

Ours are scouring them from when they wake up till they go to bed.They`ll still change their minds on Xmas eve though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

My son calls the argos catalogue the 'santa book' :D

I have already spend about 200euro on Christmas pressies with only 2 more to buy which will cost approx the same. I only have the one and my parents think I should leave it at what I already have as I have a big family who will be buying for him too.

That's where the santa letter is handy;) Once it's been sent off they can't change their minds.

Love2love wrote: »
    My son calls the argos catalogue the 'santa book' :D

I have already spend about 200euro on Christmas pressies with only 2 more to buy which will cost approx the same. I only have the one and my parents think I should leave it at what I already have as I have a big family who will be buying for him too.

Its really hard not to when its your only one isn't it? My mam is the same.

For my lil girls first xmas I had way too many presents. She couldn't even open them, then played with the wrapping paper.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Cookie Jar wrote: »
    She couldn't even open them, then played with the wrapping paper.:pac:

that's why i think there's no point in spending a fortune on presents for small kids.
    they get so much fun out of simple inexpensive things and the world is all new to them so it is mostly an excuse for a parent to spend money rather than something a child will enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I am reading this interesting thread as somone who is going to a father this november :-)

I hate spoilt kids. My stradegy will be to push the kids to imaginative, educational presents. Also, I'd like to bring them up with a broad world view.
    So if they ask me for something like an IPod or fancy pair of runners, I like to ask them to give me a presentation on how kids their age in various countries of the world live. This would be hoping to initiate a rational discussion where their expectations reasonable i.e. get them to think a bit? I'd also challenge them to give a percentage of their present entitlement to charity.

As your all parents what do you think?

What recked my head growing up was I was just told a blunt NO rather than it reasoned out. I think I would have accepted no if it was well reasoned.

Your thoughts...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

I am reading this interesting thread as somone who is going to a father this november :-)

I hate spoilt kids. My stradegy will be to push the kids to imaginative, educational presents. Also, I'd like to bring them up with a broad world view.
    So if they ask me for something like an IPod or fancy pair of runners, I like to ask them to give me a presentation on how kids their age in various countries of the world live. This would be hoping to initiate a rational discussion where their expectations reasonable i.e. get them to think a bit? I'd also challenge them to give a percentage of their present entitlement to charity.

As your all parents what do you think?

What recked my head growing up was I was just told a blunt NO rather than it reasoned out. I think I would have accepted no if it was well reasoned.

Your thoughts...

I agree.. Growing uo I had no video games or fancy brand name stuff cos the money wasn there but we always got eudcational presents as well as normal toys...loved them to bits..when my god child was born her first christmas i plagued her will books and earrly learning toys... I think they are better to give than an ipod..like seriously an eight yr old with an ipod..i didn have one til i was 20....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I'm going to be a mother next February, so similar level of experience :D
    However I don't think you should 'push' kids toward some specific presents.
    I mean you effectively control every aspect of their life anyway and come presents time you are going to 'push' them again?

Do you mean "No, no doll for you, have a telescope and get educated!" sort of thing? :D

Also imaginative for who? What does it mean?

What sort of toys do you play yourself? :)

Advertisement