Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how much do you spend on Santa?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Wow at some of the answers on here. I'll have to agree with Hellrazers sentiment and I have no problem spending the last penny I have on my kids.

We have three kids, 14, 12 and 10, with only the youngest really waiting for the bearded fellow. They all got new computers last year, new desktop for the cub and laptops for the girls. I got them all on really good offers but I'd say we spent around €750 on each of them. We will probably spend less this year as we havent had any real requests yet bar better mobiles.

But to think that they would effectivey have to earn those gifts in any other way than be children leaves me cold tbh. Let your children be children for childhoods sake!

On another note we did secret santa here at home between the five of us, max spend £20.00, and if I am honest that generated more excitement and fun than all the other gifts together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Zero, we don't do Santa. The kids get loads of presents from people they know to exist and who love them & they are perfectly happy and secure with that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Zero, we don't do Santa. The kids get loads of presents from people they know to exist and who love them & they are perfectly happy and secure with that. :)

Can I assume that their imagination is totally fine as well?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

:D Of course, we've never sat them down and told them Santa is big fat lie created by rampant consumerism and dressed by coca-cola - it's just not a part of our day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My wee girls Daddy owns a toyshop so I honestly have no idea how much toys cost, I rarely if ever buy her toys. When I do they're cheap little jigsaw puzzles or teddies from Penneys/Dunnes.

I tend to buy her a wee outfit for Christmas Day and maybe something small like an outfit for her Baby Annabel, but I don't go mad. She's not one of those kids whose mad into toys anyway, she loves singing, dancing, talking, colouring books, jigsaws... her toys are often sitting gathering dust.

1,000 euro on a 4 year old is crazy, to be honest. My daughter will be 4 in February and there isn't a chance that much will be spent on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

ebmma wrote: »
    I get it that kids need supervision with games but I don't think it's fair to give it as their personal present and then just take it away whenever you feel appropriate. It's either actually theirs to do with whatever they wish or it is a family present for which everyone follows some sort of agreed rulers about playing time, sharing, etc.

Just reminds me in my early teens getting a 'birthday present' of a camera on one occasion and a stereo on another. But guess what, both items suddenly became family property as I was moving out (not on the best of terms, but that's beside the point). Haven't seen them since :) So guess who those things were actually bought for? ;)

Do you really get it? Its perfectly fair how we handle things in our home, my kids would tell you that and they are well able to chat to us and would be able to tell us if they thought we were unfair and they would be listened to. They are their personal presents as you put it but it is not right to leave kids sitting in front of a T.V screen for hours on end which most children would gladly do. You must get that? We are not pushing them in any direction just giving balance.. Rules have nothing to do with it its common sense. While we are happy they enjoy books we also encourage them to get outside in the fresh air. Things like xbox and Wii are like smoking or drinking, fine in moderation.They get in from school about 3 and might have a snack and then they do their homework. They then can do whatever play they want until we have dinner just after 6 and some evenings they will have time for more play and some they wont.

Hope that makes a bit more sense?

As for your presents if they are yours go back and get them. Did you actually use them? As you say they were bought for you so go get them, or did someone plan on buying them them for you in the hope you would move out. Thats some plan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

LeoB wrote: »
    Do you really get it? Its perfectly fair how we handle things in our home, my kids would tell you that and they are well able to chat to us and would be able to tell us if they thought we were unfair and they would be listened to. They are their personal presents as you put it but it is not right to leave kids sitting in front of a T.V screen for hours on end which most children would gladly do. You must get that? We are not pushing them in any direction just giving balance.. Rules have nothing to do with it its common sense. While we are happy they enjoy books we also encourage them to get outside in the fresh air. Things like xbox and Wii are like smoking or drinking, fine in moderation.They get in from school about 3 and might have a snack and then they do their homework. They then can do whatever play they want until we have dinner just after 6 and some evenings they will have time for more play and some they wont.

Hope that makes a bit more sense?

As for your presents if they are yours go back and get them. Did you actually use them? As you say they were bought for you so go get them, or did someone plan on buying them them for you in the hope you would move out. Thats some plan!!

Hey, I know what you mean, promise :D I didn't mean to imply that kids should sit in front of the TV/play computer games all day.
    I was just trying to say that (in my opinion) it is a bit fairer to make consoles a whole family present and decide on the terms of use as a family.

As for my presents, I do have that camera and what made me think it wasn't really for me was my mother's remark: 'oh, we had to by a new camera because you took that one'

As for the stereo, I wasn't allowed to come and collect it along with some of my other stuff :rolleyes: I was delivered 'selected items' and when I asked about the stereo, was told that 'oh, we'll need to meet as a family and discuss it further'
    It wasn't really worth the hassle and I hope they enjoy it now :D It's just a funny memory a few years later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Personally I dont like these consoles but the kids do. If they are their presents say like a set of drumms I would not sit and listen to the noise for an unreasonable amount of time, So its balance. You just came accross as very p.c and I think people need to think things through without getting to deep.

That sounds very unfair the way your presents were "claimed". If my numbers come up on Saturday night your name is on a new camera and sound system:):):) I promise.

Back to O.P My view dont overspend or stretch yourself to much. We all have different circumstances. We dont try to keep up with wealthy neighbours.

Advertisement