Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free banking: PermanentTSB vs Postbank

Options
  • 05-10-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

I currently have an account open with PermanentTSB, and I'm considering to close it and open one with Postbank as on their website they claim not charging any fee for opening maintenance and closing the account.
    I don't exactly which fee I pay with PermanentTSB as on their website they mention what you don't have to pay but not what you pay.
    What I basically need is an account with no maintenance fee, with which paying the bills and that would possibly offer a free debit card to make payment online (like buying flying or goods).Currently Im using a prepaid credit card, which has some cost involved.
    What would be the best solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Postbank's debit card can't be used online, for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Been with TSB for the past 5 years and never paid any fees...have a laser & visa card with them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

you prob have an old ptsb account. Go to your branch and they will upgrade it and prob refund some of the fees you paid this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Would you consider Halifax where you will earn interest on your current account?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭spupazza

Fungus wrote: »
    Would you consider Halifax where you will earn interest on your current account?

I was considering it, as a friend of mine has an account with them,but when I looked on their website I realized that the 7% was only for the first 1500 euro, and I don't know if there are cost involved in opening,maintenance or closing the account.

• Advertisement

you prob have an old ptsb account. Go to your branch and they will upgrade it and prob refund some of the fees you paid this year too.

Well I opened the account 4 years ago, can the visa card be used to make online payments?Which fee are due? (duty stamp?)

Can I open a saver account with Anglo Irish bank?Does it involve any cost opening maintenance or closing?Can I move the funds online?
    As I live in Swords, I would use it only for this purpose as no office are in Swords.

spupazza wrote: »
    I was considering it, as a friend of mine has an account with them,but when I looked on their website I realized that the 7% was only for the first 1500 euro, and I don't know if there are cost involved in opening,maintenance or closing the account.

There are none.
    Well I opened the account 4 years ago, can the visa card be used to make online payments?Which fee are due? (duty stamp?)

Well, as someone advised, you may be on an old account type. ptsb aren't going to tell you to change to a free ones naturally. A Visa credit card will be liable for the normal stamp duty.
    Can I open a saver account with Anglo Irish bank?Does it involve any cost opening maintenance or closing?Can I move the funds online?
    As I live in Swords, I would use it only for this purpose as no office are in Swords.

You can open one, I'm sure - but it is a savings account not a current account. It has no online access, and their office is in the city centre.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Quote:
    As I live in Swords, I would use it only for this purpose as no office are in Sword
    s. .

You can open one, I'm sure - but it is a savings account not a current account. It has no online access, and their office is in the city centre.

Does this saving account have any king of cost of opening maintenance or closing?

PS:thanks all for teh answers

Not that I'm aware of, but you'll have no ATM/debit card etc - you'll have to contact them by phone or post to move funds to your current account when you need them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

With Postbank, you'll get a Maestro Debit Card - which can't be used online, and has some very serious acceptance issues when being used in shops.

With PTSB, I think you'll get a Laser Debit Card. This has very limited online acceptance - only cdwow.ie and aerlingus.ie would accept them.

If you start an Ulster Bank current account, you'll get a Visa Debit Card. You can use it (both online and in shops) everywhere that accepts Visa credit card, only it takes the money straight out of the account rather than billing you.

Advertisement