Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circulating pump - Extreamly hot

Options
  • 05-10-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Just a quick question,

I've recently bough a new house(Newly built). The heating is working fine(OFCH), but i'm just wondering about the circulating pump.

I turned on the heat for 30 mins approx, when i went to turn it off, i noticed fumes(smell) in the utility room where the boiler is(which i'm guessing/hoping is normal)
    I just by chance put my hand on the circulating pump i noticed
    it's very hot, is this normal?

Now it didn't burn me or anything but was pretty hot all the same.

Any info appreciated

Diarmuid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Worrying that there are fumes. Leave the boiler off.
    I would get a service engineer out immediately to check the boiler with a flue gas metre and check the flue seal to the boiler and burner/boiler seal.

now go to any decent builders providers or DIY store and buy a CO2 alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Now maybe "fumes" is a bit strong of a word to describe it. I could smell the oil.

Thanks for the reply though
    Co2 alarm is a pretty good idea anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Are you burning kerosene. Are you use to oil boilers. There is always a smell as such just with the balanced flue of the new typr its not usually strong. The pump would be warm because its in use.

But its hard to say

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

RE Joey the lips

I havnt a clue about boilers, but yes it's kerosene.

I wasn't too worried about the smell to be honest more the pump being hot.

But if u say it's not out of the ordinary that sounds about right. Just wanted to confirm it.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    RE Joey the lips

I havnt a clue about boilers, but yes it's kerosene.

I wasn't too worried about the smell to be honest more the pump being hot.

But if u say it's not out of the ordinary that sounds about right. Just wanted to confirm it.

Cheers

Like i said it hard to say but the pumps do get hot. in my experience they either work or they dont work they have never actually caught fire, but I am sure there is a case somewhere.

Why dont you ask your neighbour. It will be a good excuse to talk to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement