Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat is a junkie!!!

Options
  • 05-10-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

i was wondering if anybody have the same issue.
    My lovely cat is going high every time I use Milton or bleach. He just rolls all over the area where the milton has been used, he licks the whole area and rubbs himself whereever the milton was. I can't take him away the area cause he then growls and scratches me...I can't distract him with even his favorite dish!!
    I usually used milton on mugs to get rid off the tea stains and every time I empty the mugs, I make sure to let the water running so that there is not much around because I know kitty will be crazy...
    He is very peculiar cat.. catnip has no effect whatsoever to him (I guess he is part of those 50% cat who don't react to catnip) but bleach and milton particularly makes him go completely trans!!! This is since he was a kitten (I rescue him from the street at 3 and half weeks old) - he somehow loves eating bread and butter, brioche, croissant, yoghurt, cream.. - all the bad stuffs for him!!! He can smell all those stuffs even when you are 2 rooms away!!! I guess that's nice food for us, so why not for kitty :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Might not be odd, he might just like the smell.
    Personally I would keep him out when you're cleaning with the likes of bleach etc, as it's not good for animals at all. Letting him lick where it was (especially if it's not dried in fully) isn't good either. If he won't stay away from it whilst you're cleaning, put him outside or into another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Be careful with things like Milton, you'd be safer using a more natural cleaner around the cat. Plain cheap white vinegar gets rid of mug stains just as well if not better and also it disinfects it too.

Never liked using Milton even when the young one was a baby never used it on her soothers/bottles etc. although it's supposed to be a mild bleach and can be used for babies toys etc. I always found it still too strong and chemically. Steam cleaning for babies stuff and vinegar for pets stuff so far so good plus you'd save a fortune.

Tesco are doing large bottles of vinegar for under 70cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

He's going bananas for the smell of sodium hypochlorite, I think it is - whatever gives off that slightly ammonia scent. If I bleach my counters I have to rinse and dry them immediately, and even then I come into the kitchen to find the cats rolling on them - and considering I bleach them because I'm pretty sure the cats walk on them while I'm out, it defeats the purpose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I use harsh cleaners, bleach etc. with my dogs around. I do, however, make sure everything is rinsed and dry before they can come into contact with anything. Just a tip when using bleach - use chlorine bleach, not amonia based, because they can smell it even when you can't anymore and it will encourage them to pee in the same area (due to the amonia smell). Just be careful not to use clearners that go cloudy in water (original detol comes to mind) because it can be very toxic to dogs and cats.

We currently don't have any cats but when we did I cleaned the litter trays with milton or bleach and they used to come in an roll in the clean litter, and get it all over the place - could be the same sort of thing, didn't even think it could be the cleaner smell until now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Thanks for the advices - at least I know it is not only my cat that goes crazy with the smell of milton or bleach.. I usually make sure it is dry or washed away before he can come, but even if I don't smell it, he does!!!
    Thanks Guineapigrescue for the tip with vinegar. I did not know that you can use it to remove tea stains from mugs. I will have a try. Cheers ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement