Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invest or hide it under the matress??

Options
  • 05-10-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

I recently came into a bit of money (inheritance) and would be interested in what people are doing with their money.

Should I just keep it in a savings account or is their any products that I could invest in that will give me a half decent return.

I have no mortgage (I dont believe in buying houses, but thats another thread). I dont desire fancy cars or clothes etc....

Any advice???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Definitely, not a matress.

What savings account is it in? What rate of interest are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I actually don't know. I just had it lodged it straight into my savings ac. One that's been pretty empty for a good few years. It's one I have full access to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Can you tell us roughly how much money we're dealing with here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I reckon do a search of highest saving deposit interest rates and if possible try to find a 3 month/6 month deal. If the recession does in fact deepen you will have at least earned some interest and kept your money safe- and in the meantime you could research stocks/shares and bonds and make your own decisions with advice from experts.

It is being widely reported of another recessionary dip and yeah it may not transpire, but it being very heavily tipped by a lot of sources in financial analysis. You're better to play it safe for the mo imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Living in the Netherlands, but the current concensus at the moment is to spread it across across a few banks under the government guaranteed amount, offering good interest rates. That way your covered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement