Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV!

Options
  • 05-10-2009 5:44pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Great news that they are opening in Sligo town!:D:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Eh...right. Where's that link now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

It's on the careers page of the HMV website, they are looking for staff full time, part time, Christmas staff and Loss prevention officers and want them to start on the 26th of this month.
    They probably wont open then as they might just be training the staff, stocking the store etc... but they will certainly want to be open for Christmas.

Oh. It's only HMV anyway. Hardly anything good is it. Nothing good ever opens in Sligo compared to other large towns like Dundalk, Letterkenny and Castlebar and Ballina.

Eh what good things have opened in Letterkenny, Castlebar or Ballina. I can't ever remember been in Dundalk so I'm not going to comment on that.

Anything opening these days is good for any town as it will offer jobs. HMV is probably one of the best record shops in the country.

'Tis True I suppose. But all record shops are the same really. They sell records. It's just the name HMV that everyone likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Wow, your username isn't a joke, is it?

If you're interested in dvds or cds it's great 'cos they have a better selection and better prices than anywhere else in the town.

fozzle wrote: »
    Wow, your username isn't a joke, is it?

If you're interested in dvds or cds it's great 'cos they have a better selection and better prices than anywhere else in the town.

Yea. It's good. But the music stores in Sligo are useless. That record room is like a living room it's so small and pokey. Then Zavvi and that other place closed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Yeah I agree with you about the record room, it's very small and kinda cramped.
    But that is soooo brill about HMV, finally somewhere you can get decent box sets :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 reamie

Where bouts in sligo is it :eek:

We are not too sure sure yet but I'm making guesses that it will be where Zavvi was, the unit in Johnston Court S.C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

That would make perfect sense to them. It's an existing unit and is just waiting for them to move in. Has it been closed since Zavvi left it? Roll on HMV. Youse are getting a great music store that's for sure. Christmas just around the corner. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 barr toco

duno how hmv will survive if zavvi couldnt,
    but i hope they do cause it will bring a few jobs to sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Zavvi was doing pretty well - the whole company went into administration when Woolworths imploded. Otherwise I'd wager it'd still be open.

I think HMV have made the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

bobcar61 wrote: »
    HMV is probably one of the best record shops in the country.

Probably the most expensive in the country... HMV is good enough but it hasn't got a patch on the old Zavvi stores. Seeing as they've no real competition now their prices are pretty high...

Aye. Virgin Megastore was the best bud. HMV wouldn't hold a tea leave to it really.

HMV are the strongest in this field,they are expanding while a lot of others such as Zavvi and Woolworths are gone to the wall.In fact HMV took over a number of Zavvi stores.

I see that they are looking for staff in Kilkenny as well,is it a new branch there or is it for an existing one?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

What's the rate of pay?

2.55 an hour or there abouts I'm told.

Crotchety wrote: »
    2.55 an hour or there abouts I'm told.

Somehow I doubt that's too accurate.

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I see that they are looking for staff in Kilkenny as well,is it a new branch there or is it for an existing one?

There was a Zavvi store in Kilkenny so HMV must be taking over that one as well. Someone in work said they are moving into the Zavvi store in Athlone town centre. They must be taking over the rest of the Zavvi stores that they didn't just after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

genie wrote: »
    What's the rate of pay?

well the minimum wage is apartently down to €1.84 now that we have voted yes

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

It's sligo. don't get too excited over it.

irish-stew wrote: »

Bull****

The Irish Government set our minimum wage and the European Government, that what I thought.
    If they wanted to lower the minimum wage to €1.84 per hour the cost of living would seriously want to be reduced. I'd say the wage for HMV will be €8.65(the Irish minimum wage)

Get used to it. The people of Sligo think they live in New York City

:)

What's that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Bull****

The Irish Government set our minimum wage and the European Government, that what I thought.
    If they wanted to lower the minimum wage to €1.84 per hour the cost of living would seriously want to be reduced. I'd say the wage for HMV will be €8.65(the Irish minimum wage)

dont worry bobcar, its not being reduced to 1.84, that was one of the scare mongaring facts released by the no campaign to scare us against voting yes

minimum wage will continue to be decided by our own goverment and not europe

Crotchety wrote: »
    Get used to it. The people of Sligo think they live in New York City

:)

Eh no we don't, actually none of us really think it's a city at all, actually is a relatively small town in comparison to towns elsewhere on the Continent etc...

Your starting to get a bit smart around here...not liking the tone your taking.

dont worry bobcar, its not being reduced to 1.84, that was one of the scare mongaring facts released by the no campaign to scare us against voting yes

minimum wage will continue to be decided by our own goverment and not europe

That's what I thought alright.

• Advertisement

Eh no we don't, actually none of us really think it's a city at all, actually is a relatively small town in comparison to towns elsewhere on the Continent etc...

Your starting to get a bit smart around here...not liking the tone your taking.

Each to their own I suppose. I don't expect you to know the thoughts of each Sligo individual.

Advertisement