Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV!

Options

Comments

irish-stew wrote: »
    noticed some fitting out been done yeaterday, no sign up though to say when opening

They are opening on Saturday!

Really looking forward to HMV opening,boxsets galore and the new Star Trek movie dvd next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to HMV opening,boxsets galore and the new Star Trek movie dvd next week!
    Needs to be seen on Blu-ray..

** drools **

Bad news about HMV Sligo.This is an email i received from HMV

Dear XXXXX,

Ref: 113125

I am writing to you in response to your recent communication regarding our Short Lease store in Sligo.

I am pleased to inform you that the above store will be trading from the 9th November 2009, however, we do not currently have any plans to keep this store open for longer than the Christmas period, meaning the store will be unable to place any customer orders and will only sell the items that they have available within the store, the majority of which will be new releases and high interest items.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and we look forward to seeing you in store soon.

Kind regards

Samantha Firth
    Customer Service

.. however, we do not currently have any plans to keep this store open for longer than the Christmas period..
    HMV are not very optimistic, are they?

• Advertisement

Well they are opening a few 'pop up' stores in the UK in towns where there was a Zavvi or Woolworths store previously,all closing in January 2010.

Its sounds like a mistake that the Sligo one is temporary,hope not though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Johnston Court

Hello,

I can confirm that HMV will be opening on saturday 7th November in Johnston Court. The official launch will happen a week or so later.
    This is a permanent store rather than just opening for the Christmas period. The confusion may arise because they are recruiting for temporary staff.

Jon Dunt, Manager, Johnston Court.

Hi Jon,welcome to Sligo Boards!
    Thanks for clearing that up for us!

Some minion at HMV in London sent out an incorrect email!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

My heart skipped a fecking beat reading them posts.
    I was all set to go in tomorrow morning to get my killers dvd on blu ray.
    Ppppppppppphhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I phoned HMV and they said they are hoping to open tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Welcome to boards Jon.

Can't wait for HMV:D

It's open.. was in this morning!

Some great bargains to be had:

The Inbetweeners - Season 1 & 2 - €14.99
    Band of Brothers (Blu-ray) - €27.99
    The Matrix Trilogy (Blu-ray) - €27.99

Loads more... came away with nothing though as I've enough un-watched DVD's and Blu-rays I've to get through before buying more.

Got the Killers DVD this morning.
    Job. Done.
    They didn't have the Blu-Ray version in but said they'd order it for me.

No other shop had the DVD.
    TGFHMV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Any change in the footfall (number of shoppers) in the Johnston Court after it opened?

As a DVD store like HMV usually makes a difference. Some major DVD/game releases like Modern Warfare 2 coming out should also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

had a browse around it today, seemed to be more in there than the rest of the centre put together

My girlfriend's an utter legend..

She went in for a look around town and came back with these to me! :D

photoycw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was in around 4pm today. Picked up a couple of albums, 1 for me and 1 for a friend. It was packed inside. Great collection. :)

picked up a compilaton and a best of i have been after, the other best of and box set i was after will be brought of the net (alot cheeper)

stuff i did buy was a euro or two more expensive compared to on line, but dont mind paying that for something you can bring home that day and enjoy it

will probaly be back in their during the xmas run up and pressie hunting

irish-stew wrote: »
    stuff i did buy was a euro or two more expensive compared to on line, but dont mind paying that for something you can bring home that day and enjoy it
    Yeah, Bricks and Mortar stores can't beat the Amazon's, Sendit's and Play.com's of this world.

Even HMV's online store can be considerably cheaper even factoring in a delivery charge of a whopping £2.50 (PER ITEM). Not to mention the fact they have some mind-blowing online-only deals - for example, they're selling the Complete Series of ER (Seasons 1 - 15 on 45 discs) on DVD for €65 delivered to your door - €5 a season! :eek:

But like you said.. bringing it home that day is always a plus!

basquille wrote: »
    Yeah, Bricks and Mortar stores can't beat the Amazon's, Sendit's and Play.com's of this world.

Even HMV's online store can be considerably cheaper even factoring in a delivery charge of a whopping £2.50 (PER ITEM). Not to mention the fact they have some mind-blowing online-only deals - for example, they're selling the Complete Series of ER (Seasons 1 - 15 on 45 discs) on DVD for €65 delivered to your door - €5 a season! :eek:

complete ER for 65 yoyo

:eek:

wow.

was nearly tempted to buy the complete sapranos in there, even though only really watched the final episodes, have season one at home but only watched the first few episodes, some of their box sets are very tempting

• Advertisement

Oh man.. buy the Complete Sopranos!

Some damn fine television.

EDIT: That ER boxset for anyone who is interested: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=211006&affiliate=buyat&lpgrp=network&batuid=1000&WT.mc_id=101450

EDIT: That ER boxset for anyone who is interested: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=211006&affiliate=buyat&lpgrp=network&batuid=1000&WT.mc_id=101450

i do sometimes think i have missed out on something major by not getting into that show earlier

:o

sopranos, not ER, although another fine example of good tv

:D

I picked up The Wire boxset for €79.99 and was very tempted to get The Sopranos for the same price but will maybe get it at the weekend!

The Wire is priced at £69.99 on the HMV website so the instore price of €79.99 is as good as ordering it online!

I picked up The Wire boxset for €79.99 and was very tempted to get The Sopranos for the same price but will maybe get it at the weekend!
    Another good buy!

Was hoping to pick up Peep Show series 6 which was released on November 2nd but they did'nt have it which surprised me as its such a new release.Anyway they said that a big delivery is due in today and it will be in that!:)

Yeah, sorry to keep harping on about my beloved Killers dvd but they said they could get it in for me on blu ray for €25. Same dvd delivered from HMV.com approx €20.

Doesn't make sense really does it.....

Bit worried about the future of this new HMV store,I went in on Friday to buy the new Star Trek Movie DVD on its release date,but they didn't have it so I came back on Monday and the same! A couple of latest releases I wanted weren't in either such as Peep Show Series 6.Why would a major store not have the latest releases in stock on the day of release?
    I haven't been in since Monday so maybe those that I mentioned are in but I hope that they are there not just to sell surplus boxsets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Bit worried about the future of this new HMV store,I went in on Friday to buy the new Star Trek Movie DVD on its release date,but they didn't have it so I came back on Monday and the same! A couple of latest releases I wanted weren't in either such as Peep Show Series 6.Why would a major store not have the latest releases in stock on the day of release?
    I haven't been in since Monday so maybe those that I mentioned are in but I hope that they are there not just to sell surplus boxsets!

Sold out maybe? Couldn't get the stock in time?

tbh there seems to be too much good new stuff in there for it to be a dumping ground for all the crap that doesn't shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

Big Mac
    HMV are not going to be open for long. They are only planning to have the're Sligo open for about 4 months.

We are being shoddily treated again.

P

• Advertisement

Big Mac
    HMV are not going to be open for long. They are only planning to have the're Sligo open for about 4 months.

We are being shoddily treated again.

P

Beginning to think you are right even though HMV and Jon Dunt (Johnstons Court Manager) are saying it will be a permanent store.I was told they have signed a long term lease!

Advertisement