Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why isn't a stop/start clock used in football matches?

• 05-10-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

As in, when the ball isn't in play, time is stopped. Therefore there is no need for extra time, the match simply ends at 90 minutes. It would stop managers/fans whinging about too much/too little extra time, and would also help to stop time wasting by players taking too long to take corners/throw in's/goal kicks etc.

So what reason is preventing FIFA from introducing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If added time was literally the time when the ball isn't in play matches would be about 110 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

JPA wrote: »
    If added time was literally the time when the ball isn't in play matches would be about 110 minutes.
    More than that probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

well then just make matches 80 minutes or 75 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

well then just make matches 80 minutes or 75 minutes

Ok, lets completely change football. For no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

think a ball is generally in play for around 50 minutes of a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

JPA wrote: »
    Ok, lets completely change football. For no reason.

He's actually given several obvious reasons that are clearly valid...
    It would stop managers/fans whinging about too much/too little extra time, and would also help to stop time wasting by players taking too long to take corners/throw in's/goal kicks etc.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think for those "Drogba" moments where he is down for 2 - 3 minutes for a little clip at the heel might not do any harm.

I dunno if it would work though...We wouldn't have half the drama otherwise.
    I quite like the drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

podge018 wrote: »

yeah, that's pretty much it alright. Average of 22 minutes or so per half the ball is actual play....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

podge018 wrote: »

sometime it falls even lower than 40.

I think the main reason football never went that route is because the fixed 90 suits the TV schedulers much better than a stop start clock.

It works incredibly well in rugby. It's very simple. The ball being out of play means the time goes on. In rugby the referee calls "time off" when there is an injury or he needs to discipline a player. In soccer the clock could auto stop after a goal is scored/when a substitution is taking place and then when the ref calls "time off" to discipline a player etc.

Soccer could take a number of directives from rugby alone which would really improve it as a sport. Unfortunately too many of those involved in the game are a tad too traditional/closed minded for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I don't see any reason to implement this.
    Slow playing a throw in or taking your time with a kick out is part of every game on a Sunday morning.

Wasting time as a goalkeeper, pretending to be injured is quite fruitful.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

dyl10 wrote: »
    I don't see any reason to implement this.
    Slow playing a throw in or taking your time with a kick out is part of every game on a Sunday morning.

Wasting time as a goalkeeper, pretending to be injured is quite fruitful.
    So is diving, doesn't mean it should be part of the game

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

So is diving, doesn't mean it should be part of the game

Slow play is accepted by the vast majority of players and in my years playing DDSL and LSL, I've never once heard of a player or a manager complaining about time wasting in the broader sense of the game.

Diving is typically looked down upon by people involved in, and fans of the game in Britain and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Because FIFA are idiots who insist on living in the past. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Football needs its drama, so do its fans. The game would be lost without its controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

football with a stop clock would be about 3 hrs long!

no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

It works incredibly well in rugby. It's very simple. The ball being out of play means the time goes on. In rugby the referee calls "time off" when there is an injury or he needs to discipline a player. In soccer the clock could auto stop after a goal is scored/when a substitution is taking place and then when the ref calls "time off" to discipline a player etc.

Soccer could take a number of directives from rugby alone which would really improve it as a sport. Unfortunately too many of those involved in the game are a tad too traditional/closed minded for this.

That's exactly what I was thinking: stop the clock solely for injuries or to discipline players. As for time-wasting re-starting from dead balls, that can be penalised the same way it currently is, similarly to how it is in rugby.

That said, to me, the idea would work and is certainly feasible, it just isn't particularly necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

ccosgrave wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was thinking: stop the clock solely for injuries or to discipline players. As for time-wasting re-starting from dead balls, that can be penalised the same way it currently is, similarly to how it is in rugby.

That said, to me, the idea would work and is certainly feasible, it just isn't particularly necessary.
    Isn't that what makes it necessary? Or at the very least, a good idea?

Take away the controversies over added time (it's not like the Manchester derby is the only time that's been an issue) without turning the game into a game of 'plays' a la NFL (as would happen if you stopped the clock every time the ball left the field of play).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The argument that incorrect decisions etc shouldn't be irradicated because they add to the "drama" of the game seems to me to be only possible when the mind behind it is deranged beyond belief.

It is so retarded that it would be laughable if not for the fact that it seems to be genuinely used as a barrier to progress in a wide variety of issues the game has.

The mentality is almost frightening tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It works incredibly well in rugby.

Being fat & having cauliflower ears also works well in rugby.

• Advertisement
Advertisement