Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you were you thought you would be 10 years ago?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Actually, I can't tell a lie.

I'm almost certain that at the age of 6 I wanted to be 'John' from Sclub 7.

I later found out he was a gay :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

At 19 I thought I'd be with the girlfriend forever, have a nice house, a great job etc etc...

10 years later, that gf turned into an ex, the current gf being far superior. No house, no job. I'm going to college as soon as practical after I get back from Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Well when I was ten years old, I doubt I envisaged myself being twenty and having absolutely no idea what I wanted from life, so no, I guess not but fcuk it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

When I was 15, I thought I was going to be a doctor. So no, I'm not where I thought I would be, and I'm sure 15 year old me would be deeply unimpressed at the fact that I'm still a student at 25!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

10 years ago, I was 12 and I thought by now I'd be in a career I loved. Where I actually am now is working part time in the worst job ever, studying from home and with a gorgeous 1 year old son to boast of. Not what I expected but happy none the less :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

10 years ago I was assuming I'd be in secondary school, I was 6 10 years ago, a 6 year olds world usually revolves around when school finished and nickelodeon. Hell I'm happy anyway, I've experienced more **** in the last 10 years than most people will probably experience within the same space at my age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Dudess wrote: »
    Nope. I thought I'd surely be inhabiting a Blade Runner type world by 2009. :mad:

Exactly... Or least some Back to the Future 2 style hover boards!

I'm pretty much in the same place I was 10 years ago.. which I suppose is impressive in and of itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

No. Thank Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Dudess wrote: »
    Nope. I thought I'd surely be inhabiting a Blade Runner type world by 2009. :mad:

Put on some noodles, crack open a Coca-cola and a Mars bar, and head on over to beastforum to watch a woman take the pleasure from the serpent.

It's a compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Well considering Ive never put any real thought into where Id be from week to week, I cant comment on whether I am where my 17 year old self would have liked me to be.
    But Im pretty sure if I could go back 10 years and ask that leaving cert student where he thought he'd be in 2009, my current situation would be a fair long way off the mark though.

Ah screw it, the big mortgage/house, trophy wife and brand new Audi/BMW doesnt do it for me. Im an anarchist at heart. At least thats what i tell meself to make me feel better! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

brummytom wrote: »

Why so sad? He can be your boyfriend now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ah feck off.I cant even remember 10 minutes ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I can - and I'm fairly paranoiacally sure there's a speelling mistake in here hsomewere.

But also that you were in on the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I can - and I'm fairly paranoiacally sure there's a speelling mistake in here hsomewere.

But also that you were in on the move.

Between this post and the recent thread you started I am compelled to ask you if you're on crack? :eek: :D

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Between this post and the recent thread you started I am compelled to ask you if you're on crack? :eek: :D

I know it's Monday Mizz. Crackday in the vernacular.

Can't tell you what an honour it is etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

im 23 now so i was 13 ten years ago(thanks to leaving cert maths for my calculations there).

Physically I thought i would have alot more facial hair and be more muscular. Of course im more muscular than back then but im still skinny! I am taller than i thought id be though!

Honestly I cant remember what i thought i would be doing but I didnt think at 23 id be just starting a degree course in business of all things! Ive taken a serious detour but i now am on the road to reaching my goal and for that im proud of myself!

Anyway i was a little messing gurrier when i was 13 so i think im a better person now.

agh time to sleep,

night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No, but I am more twitsted and intresting then I expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

There's always one...
    I also 10 years older.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    No, but I am more twitsted and intresting then I expected.

I feel your pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

brummytom wrote: »
    Actually, I can't tell a lie.

So now you just wanna do him...

12 year old me was an idealistic fool with heady hopes for himself, certain in the belief that he would at least make a good attempt of full-filling his potential, others also had high expectations....

it is currently 04:03 on a tuesday morning and i'm on the internet 'cause i couldn't be arsed walking upstairs to bed, how the mighty have fallen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

10 years ago, i wanted the car i have now and that's about it. unfortunately, i thought i'd be taller :( lol

me too...i stopped growing when I was 16, exactly 10 years ago

I had no clear idea of what 26 would be like when i was 16

all i know is that the 2000s sucked alot more than the 1990s, in personal terms, international politics, pop music and the state of the national football team.

heres to 2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

There are certain rules governing success as I see it.

(1) Everyone's view of success is different
    (2) Money does not mean or guarantee success.
    (3) Fulfilment is success not achievement
    (4) Success is always relative.
    (5) Success has little or nothing to do with educational achievement, Educational achievement means you can pass exams (like everyone else)

I hate that old interview question where do you see yourself in 5 years time. I dont know where i'll be in 20 minutes let alone 5 years. Theres a certain amount of planning you can do but after you just handle life as it happens.

I had no clear idea of what 26 would be like when i was 16

all i know is that the 2000s sucked alot more than the 1990s, in personal terms, international politics, pop music and the state of the national football team.

heres to 2019

Here's to today. We'll worry about 2019 if and when it happens

orourkeda wrote: »
    Here's to today. We'll worry about 2019 if and when it happens

2019 is in 10 years and it will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was actually made write down where I thought I'd be in 2009 (10 years ago I was 12) by my 6th class teacher...reckon I said I'd be finishing college (done) and maybe travelling (not done due to lack of funds) or working (kinda doing that now).

meh,I didn't have any mad ambitions, just wanted to party:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I thought i would be happier but sure don't we all think that.

Actually I had just started studying journalism and so I guess I was hoping to be a writer of some sort, I have ended up in PR which is close enough I suspose but lately I have been daydreaming about writing a book something which I was probably closer to when I was 17. At least I wrote something every day then. I live in a rented room and I am dying to get a place of my own, just want to rent a 1 bedroom because I am kind of feeling too old for sharing. Not bothered about buying a place, no interest in cars either. As for relationships, I am still making the same mistakes I made when I was 17 so hopefully by the time I am 37 I will have learned something about that. That's probably the one thing I wish I was better at it, making friends has gotten easier but I still can't open up to men properly. Other than that I suppose in my late teens I was always waiting for life to start and sometimes think I still am. I am thinking to myself 'is there all there is to it'? Is this all we get in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Yep little 12 year old computer addict....... now its a paid hobby!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

At 16 I hoped I'd still be in College at 26 but sadily I finished up and hit the real world... Now I'm used to having money and will have to suck it up when I finally do go back for a masters/ phd etc... other than that I though I'd still be fit and skinny but I'm unfit and chubby...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

10 years ago I was 20, in love (or so I thought!) and working in an office until I decided what I really wanted to do.

I am now 30, 3 long relationships later I am with someone who I hope to God is the one but I'm far too pesimistic to ever believe it. I still work in an office but a different one and I do enjoy it :)

When I was 20 I assumed when I was 30 I'd be married (Nope), have 1 or 2 kids (Nooope) and have a house (halfway there - I have an apartment)! Sometimes I miss the 20 year old me, all happy and fearless thinking nothing could hurt me. Then things did, blokes mainly, and for that I bleedin hate them! Not all blokes, just the ones who hurt me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I thought I'd be married with kids and living in a beautiful house; I'd also have a fabulous career in psychology. I thought I'd be thinner and that I'd magically become amazingly attractive. All this by the age of 24.

While I have become somewhat attractive, I still need to find someone to marry me. The career thing has gone down the drain and I live with my parents.

Success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Elphaba wrote: »
    Sometimes I miss the 20 year old me, all happy and fearless thinking nothing could hurt me.
    I'm the opposite - at 20 I still had all the insecurities and uncertainties of a teenager, or even adolescent. Now I'm much more confident, positive and philosophical about life.

2019 is in 10 years and it will happen

Thats my point. Worry about it when it happens. Not now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Yea more or less actually..

I thought I'd be earning a bit more money by now..
    But I blame Stephen (Aka: The R*******) for that.
    :mad:

loalae wrote: »
    I thought I'd be married with kids and living in a beautiful house; I'd also have a fabulous career in psychology. I thought I'd be thinner and that I'd magically become amazingly attractive. All this by the age of 24.

While I have become somewhat attractive, I still need to find someone to marry me. The career thing has gone down the drain and I live with my parents.

Success.

Marriage is for suckers

Maybe, but it could work out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

loalae wrote: »

Success.
    Don't worry. You've loads of time yet. :)

Ah yeah, getting married very young is probably not a very good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I didn't have much ambition at the age of 12.
    Don't have much now either come to think of it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Ten years ago, I was dreading turning 20, it felt so `grown - up`, now I`m 29, and dreading turning thirty and wondering where the hell the last decade of my life went, despite the fact that very little has changed. I`m still single, childless and living in a rented flat (but at least I`ve left home, unlike one person I know).

Millions of people across Europe rent for life, its the culture, and its not considered a shameful thing. Tens of thousands of people in Ireland today are wishing that they hadnt listened to the people that told them "...renting is dead money".... now they are stuck paying a mortgage on an overpriced house for the next 30 years, with no chance of selling it...wishing that they were in your position....free to leave the country to go and see the world, (more difficult to do with children btw)

Advertisement