Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reactions to the Vote

Options
  • 05-10-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

It's rare I feel national embarassment but on the RTE news there was a bunch of blueshirts singing "Ole, Ole, Ole" when the Lisbon Treaty was passed.....well I found it cringe-worthy...like it's a ****ing treaty..you didn't .clowns

I was almost as embarrased to be irish (not quite) as the time the late late show had that drivel "no one as irish as barack obama" song on and the throng of slack jawed yolkels in the audience clapping and foot stamping through it.

jaysus I thought we were back in the dark ages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You didn't see Coir, Libertas and Sinn Fein's celebrations after Lisbon I I take it?

How about when their supporters were shouting abuse at people while they were being interviewed on the news/other programmes? Is that not more embarrassing, no?

Ole Ole Ole is cringeworthy, but at least they weren't acting like football hooligans verbally abusing their rivals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It would have been a bit more apt, although a lot less likely, if they were belting out the Ode To Joy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Rb wrote: »
    You didn't see Coir, Libertas and Sinn Fein's celebrations after Lisbon I I take it?

How about when their supporters were shouting abuse at people while they were being interviewed on the news/other programmes? Is that not more embarrassing, no?

i didn't see Coir at all in lisbon I, tbh....I don't recall them campaigning.
    you should get your facts right.

I am no fan of Coir or the Shinners( I hate shin fein with a passion) and I'm neutral on Libertas.

and to imply that their wrongs somehow justify the killnaskully behaviour of those clowns the other day is silly.
    Rb wrote: »
    Ole Ole Ole is cringeworthy, but at least they weren't acting like football hooligans verbally abusing their rivals.

perhaps, but I'm not here to justify the behaviour of others cos they don't represent me.

Btw I was a no voter but no group appeared to represent me.
    I am the polar opposite of our friend in the secret federalist thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Is there a political point to this thread? Or would it live equally happily in AH?

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

i didn't see Coir at all in lisbon I, tbh....I don't recall them campaigning.
    you should get your facts right.

I am no fan of Coir or the Shinners( I hate shin fein with a passion) and I'm neutral on Libertas.

and to imply that their wrongs somehow justify the killnaskully behaviour of those clowns the other day is silly.

perhaps, but I'm not here to justify the behaviour of others cos they don't represent me.

Btw I was a no voter but no group appeared to represent me.
    I am the polar opposite of our friend in the secret federalist thread.

I think he was referring to some of the No celebrations last year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

That reminds me of hearing some English man on the radio circa 1996 at the height of Ritchie Kavanagh's chart exploits, taking offence to the song "Aon Foacail Eile";" He's saying fvck he is, it's not right".
    The Irish language and Irish sir names are a complete mystery to the Brits it would seem. The likes of Richard Littlejohn etc might find that piece hilarious, but they are and always will be ignorant, so there's not much you can do to change that.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

I don't think there is a political point to this thread. Other than to vent some sour grapes maybe? Political sour grapes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Why would it be stupid? It's just a blog entry. What's wrong with saying Tá?

Broadened out the title a little.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Nothing to get too worked up over really.
    Final word (for now) on the Irish referendum...

While in Dublin, I learnt that the Irish word for NO is NIL (which I guess is what they feared they'd get if they voted No), while the Irish for YES is TA, which presumably is what they say each time a new wedge of dosh arrives from Brussels!

A pretty inept attempt to use the Irish for "Yes", which he managed to get wrong, along with getting níl wrong as well.

It's a little funny how badly he used it more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The sort of stuff published by certain parts of the British media (like Sky News and the Daily Fail) are pathetic at best and downright xenophobic at worst. Scratch that, actually, everything seems to have undertones of xenophobia. I'm looking forward to watch them rip themselves apart when they attempt a Lisbon "debate" of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

dlofnep wrote: »
    Why would it be stupid? It's just a blog entry. What's wrong with saying Tá?

Perhaps his ignorance of the fact that 'Tá' is pronounced taw and not ta :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Ye I think Tesco has a special offer on sour grapes at the moment

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/sour%20grapes2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

More like "thaw" really.

And it doesn't actually mean "yes" (a point that, I recognise, escapes a lot of Irish people as well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

And it doesn't actually mean "yes" (a point that, I recognise, escapes a lot of Irish people as well).

+ 1

Plus he didn't even use the fada. Why do some see these letters as optional extras?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

in fairness to him he couldnt exactly put in the fada because it would kind of defeat the purpose of his joke.

edit:just reading peoples posts again, I presume ye get his joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It's rare I feel national embarassment but on the RTE news there was a bunch of blueshirts singing "Ole, Ole, Ole" when the Lisbon Treaty was passed.....well I found it cringe-worthy...like it's a ****ing treaty..you didn't .clowns....

The irony. When you come out of the 1930's, they might come out of 1990.

I'm aware of the prounounciation of Tá - But he probably wasn't aware of the purpose of the fada, or even how to place it over a vowel. It was just a joke made in good faith. Nothing to get upset about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'm aware of the prounounciation of Tá - But he probably wasn't aware of the purpose of the fada, or even how to place it over a vowel. It was just a joke made in good faith. Nothing to get upset about.

All we need now is it to be funny in some way.

• Advertisement

wylo wrote: »
    in fairness to him he couldnt exactly put in the fada because it would kind of defeat the purpose of his joke.

edit:just reading peoples posts again, I presume ye get his joke?

I assumed it's a play on "ta" as in slang for thanks?

It just doesn't work all that well then the word doesn't really mean yes, and isn't pronounced correctly.

exactly , it just looks a little silly people getting in a hissy fit about the spelling of the word, when clearly it was intentional.

MikeC101 wrote: »

It just doesn't work all that well then the word doesn't really mean yes, and isn't pronounced correctly.
    well yea thats true, dont get me wrong , its still a sh1t joke.

wylo wrote: »
    well yea thats true, dont get me wrong , its still a sh1t joke.

:D

That's the only issue I'd have with it too, really.

meglome wrote: »
    All we need now is it to be funny in some way.

I'm not saying it's funny, just that it's not something to be getting upset about. Life is too short.

Malta is apparently happy with us - presumably they didn't hear how Lisbon would crush small countries out of existence:
    Malta has had cause to extend it thanks to Ireland on two occasions – once when its electorate voted against the Lisbon Treaty in 2008, and again for yesterday’s vote in favour of the treaty.

When Irish voters rejected the EU’s hard-fought treaty in a referendum the first time around in 2008, a thank-you to Irish voters would have been in poor taste, considering the mood prevailing in Brussels at the time.

But following the ensuing negotiations, the initial Irish ‘no’ vote actually turned out to be something of a blessing in disguise for Malta.

As a result of wrangling by the Irish government after the first referendum results, not only will Malta still be granted an additional sixth seat in the European Parliament, but it will also keep hold of a permanent commissioner in Brussels, which had been at stake in the version of the treaty rejected by Irish voters.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So much for Ganley's claim of cheering crowds welcoming the no vote and flowers arriving at embassies etc.
    When Irish voters rejected the landmark treaty in June 2008, the EU, Malta included, issued a collective sigh of dismay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/2009/10/03/01003-20091003ARTFIG00499-traite-de-lisbonne-le-oui-l-emporterait-en-irlande-.php?mode=commentaires

http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/2009/10/03/01003-20091003ARTFIG00152-apres-le-vote-irlandais-la-menace-tcheque-.php?mode=commentaires

For those of you that are so dismissive of the English commentary here's some french commentary for you to mull over.

The spin doctors will have to work hard to get back in the heart of this lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

rumour wrote: »
    http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/2009/10/03/01003-20091003ARTFIG00499-traite-de-lisbonne-le-oui-l-emporterait-en-irlande-.php?mode=commentaires

http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/2009/10/03/01003-20091003ARTFIG00152-apres-le-vote-irlandais-la-menace-tcheque-.php?mode=commentaires

For those of you that are so dismissive of the English commentary here's some french commentary for you to mull over.

The spin doctors will have to work hard to get back in the heart of this lot!!

The readership of Le Figaro? You can't get back into their hearts, because they are a heartless lot. Daily Mail types.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭truthisfree

Interesting to see what our European neighbours had to say about the referendum

"There are still major differences between the big and small countries, and between the new and old members -- and it will take years, if not decades, before the new European Union is as close-knit as the old, smaller one.
    "
    Süddeutsche Zeitung

"The strong 'yes' vote may have been heartening, but it was also clouded by the fact that it was the result of a fear campaign. The Irish were persuaded by their politicians that a 'no' to the treaty could result in being kicked out of the EU -- something that naturally is not true. The EU would still function without Lisbon. It would just have been less efficient and the expansion process would have come to a halt."
    Financial Times Deutschland

"The new treaty will never get over the blemish of how it came about. The people who said 'no' the first time, were either not asked a second time or were blackmailed with the threat of being marginalized in economically tough times."
    Die Tageszeitung

Nowadays, worries about tax increases (in Ireland) are a joke in a situation where government debt is a tenth of the gross national product, unemployment will soon rise to 20 percent and the IT and financial services sectors that made the boom possible are either migrating or threatened with collapse."
    Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung

A cry for help, well I guess that was what it must have seemed like to countries outside of here, was desperate enough anyway. I wonder how the Yes voters feel about seeing things like this written about the referendum?

Advertisement