Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Office refused my money

Options
  • 05-10-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Ok, I went into the post office today to lodge some cash into my AIB account.
    250 eur in bagged and counted coin. The woman working in the post office told me she couldnt take it because her safe was full. Although quite shocked, being a reasonable person I said I would come back tomorrow. She said she would prefer if I went elsewhere with the change. Is this right? Surely the post office are obliged to take a cash deposit like this in line with their assocation with AIB. Im sure AIB dont want deposits refused, even small ones? Should I go back and ask for the money to be lodged to my account? Its not really my problem if there is no room in the safe.
    I should point out that I dont have any access to a bank during the day or I would simply do that to avoid the hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think they are legally a bank, so I don't think they have to take deposits like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I've looked on the AnPost website and Postbank.ie and can't see anywhere any restrictions on how you deposit your money.

For a definite answer it might be best to ask PostBank directly, thier Customer Services number is 1850 575 859 or 01 705 7600.

This information is from https://www.postbank.ie/portal/start.asp
    8 Lodgements
    8.1 Lodgements into your Account may be paid in euro by cash, paper clearing items (e.g. cheque, bank draft) or electronic funds transfers and other negotiable items payable to you as follows:
    (a) cash Lodgements can only be made through a Post Office. You cannot lodge cash through the Customer Care Centre.
    (b) paper clearing items to be paid into your Account can be lodged at a Post Office or sent by post to the Customer Care Centre. Please see section 9.2 for further details.
    (c) electronic funds transfers can be received from another bank or building society situated in the Republic of Ireland.
    8.2 If we credit the Account with an amount of a paper clearing item or other payment order which is subsequently dishonoured we will debit the Account with such amount and make any necessary adjustment.
    8.3 There are no minimum or maximum Lodgement amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Better suited to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

AFAIK - the only bank that is obliged to take all money is the Central Bank - but I'm open to correction on this one. Other banks can refuse to take currency, if they so wish.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think you're right, Dudara.

Also, I'm open to correction on this, but I'm fairly sure that a bank branch can refuse to take money, however they'd probably want to have a good reason (ie if it was very badly soiled). I'm aware of busy bank branches that will only take in coin lodgements on certain days of the week, and between certain times. Usually it's Thursday before 2pm. However, even on the busiest days, I wouldn't be inclined to turn away a personal customer with bagged coins. Just out of interest OP, was it all in coppers or something? If it was in €1 coins it'd only be 10 bags, which isn't really a big deal. Maybe give An Post's customer care a shout and see what their take is on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pubs often take that sort of change and give you notes for it , just so you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Thanks to everyone for your info.

Toots, It is a mixture, very little coppers, mostly 20c, 50c, 1e and 2e bags. About 12-14 bags in all.
    Ill get it changed to notes somewhere else. I just thought it odd and bad practise to turn away a customer. I understand that their safe was full (which I also thought was a bit too much information to give to someone who walked in off the street), but from a customer service point of view they could have helped me out when I offered to come back the next day. I don't think AIB would be too impressed.

Thanks again for all your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bandit197 wrote: »
    I just thought it odd and bad practise to turn away a customer.
    what did you buy?
    I understand that their safe was full (which I also thought was a bit too much information to give to someone who walked in off the street),
    You have no idea what it was full of - it could have been 1c coins, stamps, paper work ....

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Victor wrote: »
    what did you buy?
    You have no idea what it was full of - it could have been 1c coins, stamps, paper work ....

I didnt buy anything, I was lodging money. That makes me a customer.

You are right, Ive no idea what was in it....but I do know it was full.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

bandit197 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for your info.

Toots, It is a mixture, very little coppers, mostly 20c, 50c, 1e and 2e bags. About 12-14 bags in all.
    Ill get it changed to notes somewhere else. I just thought it odd and bad practise to turn away a customer. I understand that their safe was full (which I also thought was a bit too much information to give to someone who walked in off the street), but from a customer service point of view they could have helped me out when I offered to come back the next day. I don't think AIB would be too impressed.

Thanks again for all your replies.

"Safe is full" sounds to me like "I couldn't be arsed counting that coin." I know myself sometimes your heart just sinks when you see someone coming towards you with bags of coin :p but 12-14 bags requires minimal effort. In fact it would be more effort to come up with an excuse not to take the coin in. If the safe was genuinely was full, then it was incredibly stupid of the cashier to tell you so!! It could have been full of stamps or just paper, but if a potential robber heard that, they'd just see € signs, they're not going to ask what a safe is full of if they're robbing the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've looked on the AnPost website and Postbank.ie and can't see anywhere any restrictions on how you deposit your money.

For a definite answer it might be best to ask PostBank directly, thier Customer Services number is 1850 575 859 or 01 705 7600.

Postbank have nothing to do with An Post's AIB deal - completely seperate services. They can't help on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Found this from a quick google. Seems not obliged to take more then 50 coins. Answer was actually in consumer issues. Yay boards.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055474515

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

they can take it but banks charge a 'coinage' fee for counting it, usual fee is between 1 and 5 % depending on amounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

They are under no obligation to accept it by law :/

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0038/sec0010.html

Dudara is correct on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

As said, ring the post bank customer service. Explain the situation and if they can't help ring the AIB. Ask they if you brought the bagged coin to your local branch would they lodge it to your account.
    (not helpful but)I always use my coin's in tesco for my shopping. The machine is alway's friendly and does not mind taking them:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Thats a simple case of them not being arsed to do it. Simple.

Advertisement