Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else gettin in trouble over facebook?

• 05-10-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions on facebookers and non users. Dont want this in tech as i want some varied replies (im sure ill be slated anyway:D)

I use FB quite a bit and upload the usual pics to albums. Mainly for myself to store and easy access but also to share easily with other mates who are on it and want to swap pics. Anyway..theres a few mates who arent too happy with this and i seem to be getting the brunt of it. Say within a group of 10 or so, half might post similar pics of events and nights out but because i was the first to start it, the "facebooker" rep has kind of stuck with me. Ive p!ssed off a few friends recently and although i can see their point of view its gotten to the stage where i have to censor any pics with them in it. I love it, they dont. Opinions? I dont care what pics are up of me but i do respect peoples right to privacy so just seeing where everyone stands.

Facebook friend or foe? 105 votes

Yes, ill post what i want when i want
    0% 0 votes
    No, i hate it and dont want any pic of me on the net
    36% 38 votes
    Within reason but depends how good i look
    32% 34 votes
    Crap poll and should be in tech
    31% 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

You know there was a tsunami in South East Asia last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think it all boils down to common courtesy and manners. If you want to post pics of persons, at least have the decency to ask them if they mind or not. I wouldn't be impressed with my mates if they simply were plastering pics or info on me without even asking first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I don't mind my friends uploading photos of me, so long as they only tag the 'pretty' ones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

honestly I don't care if mates upload pics which happen to have me in them, I know a few people who will start moanin about a pic their in for whatever reason.If they have a gd reason for the pic to be removed then you should but if their just been moany bastids for no real reason leave them up :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

if they didnt want to be in it they should of stopped you taking it in the first place

• Advertisement

It's hardly your fault your friends are ugly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I've gotten in trouble on Facebook for different reasons. Mainly because I compulsively sarcastically comment on my friend's status' whenever they update them, not unlike how I post on Boards. This has pissed a few people off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If I went to an event with a camera proclaiming loudly 'this'll be on facebook next week!' and people pose happily, I'd put them up. I will however, edit red-eyes because it makes people look EVIL and won't put up embarrassing pics of people totally drunk/snogging someone they wish they hadn't etc..
    If you put photos in your album, don't tag them for a week or so, so if anyone doesn't like a photo you can delete it and not have it on their profile page and the 'news-feed' for everyone to see.

Why are your friends p*ssed off? Did they not know you'd snapped them? Were they throwing up in a bin in the photos? I haven't posted huge amounts of pictures because I don't like bringing a camera on a night out but there's never been any repercussions of any photos I did post..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

blow69 wrote: »
    Yes and whats your point?This is AH not the Serious World Affairs forum :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

"Within reason but depends how good i look"

I hate this world.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I can't be photographed by conventional cameras so it doesnt make much of a difference to me

I'm not allowed outside after 7pm :(
    I can't be photographed by conventional cameras so it doesnt make much of a difference to me

Are you a vampire, Turd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Never got in trouble for photos. Usually, if someone doesn't want their picture posted, then they don't want it taken in the first place, in which case I will ask if they want it on facebook or not and if they don't, I honor that.
    I did get a very nasty message from someone's mother once but it wasn't regarding a picture I posted.

Are you a vampire, Turd?

No, but you're close

Posy wrote: »
    Why are your friends p*ssed off? Did they not know you'd snapped them? Were they throwing up in a bin in the photos? .
    All my friends are fab looking..well to me anyway and ive never posted anything that i think to be dodgy drunken or stupid looking. The main issue is with a friends new boyfriend. He just doesnt get it and cant understand why when everyone knows what happened on a night out it needs to be posted. Hes a good lookin fella so its not that he takes a crap photo or anythin so i dont know...just private i suppose which i can understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

anniehoo wrote: »
    Yes and whats your point? This is AH not the Serious World Affairs forum :rolleyes:

Forum request +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

No, but you're close

A Cheeky Girl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

I hate facebook, no issues about pics of me being on the net but i still hate it

FB is a breeding ground for needlers who like to stir up **** and make a nuisance of themselves from the comfort of their own screen.

Because every profile is private there is a amount of incriminating information on there since people are lulled into a false sense of security. it only takes one out of 500 friends to spill the beans if they decide they have somethign against you.

it also facilitates some of the more nasty traits in people such as being 2 faced (lots of photos that mom cant see), the fact that only "good" news appears - no alert if you have been unfriended and such. lots of pretentious ****wits who want to let on that their life is better than everyone elses.

there would be far less trouble if everything was out in the open and not private. at least stupid people would be more careful posting stuff then.

Dankoozy wrote: »
    I hate facebook, no issues about pics of me being on the net but i still hate it

FB is a breeding ground for needlers who like to stir up **** and make a nuisance of themselves from the comfort of their own screen.

Because every profile is private there is a amount of incriminating information on there since people are lulled into a false sense of security. it only takes one out of 500 friends to spill the beans if they decide they have somethign against you.

it also facilitates some of the more nasty traits in people such as being 2 faced (lots of photos that mom cant see), the fact that only "good" news appears - no alert if you have been unfriended and such. lots of pretentious ****wits who want to let on that their life is better than everyone elses.

there would be far less trouble if everything was out in the open and not private. at least stupid people would be more careful posting stuff then.

Does someone need a hug?

Does someone need a hug?

that depends. are you hawt? pm n00ds pls. kthxb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i hate facebook and other social networking sites.

it would really piss me off if someone posted pics of me there.

no doubt it has been done, but i just dont know about it because i dont go near the site.
    certainly noone has ever asked my permission to post a pic of me.

i just dont want any pictures of me appearing on teh internet. ive never posted my photo in any forum here and never intend to.

Dankoozy wrote: »
    that depends. are you hawt? pm n00ds pls. kthxb

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

All my friends are fab looking..well to me anyway and ive never posted anything that i think to be dodgy drunken or stupid looking. The main issue is with a friends new boyfriend. He just doesnt get it and cant understand why when everyone knows what happened on a night out it needs to be posted. Hes a good lookin fella so its not that he takes a crap photo or anythin so i dont know...just private i suppose which i can understand.

Why do you need to post everything that happened on a night out?

Personally i can't stand social networking websites such as bebo, facebook, etc. I also prefer not to have my picture put on the internet.

no

fairy nuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I hate public comments and that photo tagging shít on facebook. It's a cockblocking bastárd. While traveling as a single fella you obviously meet different girls in different places. Some you see now and then over a few weeks or months and others are just a night or two type of thing. They all tend to end up on facebook whether you add them or they find you. Then the one who you were only with for a day posts publically that she misses you or had a great time last night or whatever. Or even worse, posts a picture up of us kissing that her mate took on her camera. In turn a girl you planned to meet up with again sees it and gets p1ssed off. I swear that facebook has been nothing but a cock block for me on a few occasions.

Also can someone explaining facebook tagging?

Someone was waffling about this in work but i started to day dream instead of listening. I remember them saying pictures aren't private if someone tags them or something.

00112984 wrote: »
    A Cheeky Girl?

Warmer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Also can someone explaining facebook tagging?

Someone was waffling about this in work but i started to day dream instead of listening. I remember them saying pictures aren't private if someone tags them or something.

Someone uploads a picture with you in it and they can add your name to the photo. So people can hoover over your face and see who you are and it also pops up on your page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Warmer...

Two Cheeky Girls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

blow69 wrote: »

Is that actually true Blow69?!
    I think the best course of action is to close all non tsunami related threads, or at minimum, mention it in every thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Someone uploads a picture with you in it and they can add your name to the photo. So people can hoover over your face and see who you are and it also pops up on your page.

This made me lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Looking for opinions on facebookers and non users. Dont want this in tech as i want some varied replies (im sure ill be slated anyway:D)

I use FB quite a bit and upload the usual pics to albums. Mainly for myself to store and easy access but also to share easily with other mates who are on it and want to swap pics. Anyway..theres a few mates who arent too happy with this and i seem to be getting the brunt of it. Say within a group of 10 or so, half might post similar pics of events and nights out but because i was the first to start it, the "facebooker" rep has kind of stuck with me. Ive p!ssed off a few friends recently and although i can see their point of view its gotten to the stage where i have to censor any pics with them in it. I love it, they dont. Opinions? I dont care what pics are up of me but i do respect peoples right to privacy so just seeing where everyone stands.

Online privacy is actually a pretty big issue. You should obviously respect your friends enough not to go against their will and put pics online that they don't want. When you're out, just try not to take pics of them. Is your profile on private? If not, I can see why they would be more annoyed.

I don't mind what pics are up of myself, but I'll untag really stupid ones and if any were very bad I'd ask for them to be taken down. There are 347 pics with me tagged in. I don't think thats a huge amount.

ps. you're the normal one and they're the odd ones :p Facebook is the largest photo sharing site on the web.

mental07 wrote: »
    Me too :D but i didnt want to be pedantic and ask whether they meant "hover" or not seein as i started the thread and all. Either word is funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

mental07 wrote: »

Ha me too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

All my friends are fab looking.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Aha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Heh! Heh! Heh! Heh! Heh!

Aahhoooohhhoooohoooohoooohoooo!

No. No they're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Are you a vampire, Turd?

I lol'd :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

There are 347 pics with me tagged in. I don't think thats a huge amount.

:eek: that seems like a huge amount to me. i wouldnt be comfortable with that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I love it, they dont. Opinions?

Have you asked them why? Surely they aren't pissed off at you just because one of their boyfriend's doesn't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

People who bring cameras on a night out and then post the pictures online are spawns of the devil. Why do they do it? To show everyone how many friends they have and how good a time they are having? Tis very very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I got in trouble over bebo back in 06/07.

Under the school page i became a member of a "hate club" for the vice principle and posted a few comments.

I figured that if everyone else was doing it he couldn't suspend the whole school. Still got called into the office for a talking to, though.

Never did hear what happened to the kid who set it up...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Its cool putting up decent pics from events or stuff you did.

I'd put them up myself.

I know some people though who'll take 3million photos in one night of their shoes, a straw, someone giving a funny look or just in a bad pose or like mid conversation or movement so they look stupid and feel the need to post EVERY single one of them thinking its funny.

To be honest its not, because it can be embarrassing sometimes and people don't always want loads of stupid pictures up for everyone to see of them.

Throw up a few decent ones if people posed or smiled... leave out the 300 other ones I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

And why do you feel the need to justify your existence through facebook? 'Look at me, I went out and got drunk on saturday night'.. So what? Some people don't feel the need to plaster pictures of themselves all over the internet to show how interesting their lives are.. maybe you should respect that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

90% of facebook is just fukwits with no life pretending they have. All the photos are pretty much "ooo look how much fun i have when i drink". I signed up to facebook 2 weeks ago to contact a friend who's number i'd lost. Now i have cnuts who i mostly ignored for the last decade or more wanting to be my friend.

No.
    Fuk off.

I dont care if you've somehow gotten an equally ugly spouse and spawned a few gobsh1te gimps with your cover of the National Geographic features. I dont care if you just iced a level 91 hitman. I dont give 2 flying fuks if you baked an imaginary cake or dug up your pretend carrots. I dont want to know about the mundane tripe that you think is important enough to broadcast to the world. "Elaine has a spot...ouch". WELL JUST BRUISE IT AND FUK OFF ELAINE.

There are people who i was actually friends with up until recently but when i saw how they spend their time living in fukking fantasy faceland with their make believe parsnips and mafias and incessant approval seeking i just removed them from my real friend list. They're more than welcome to remain on my fake friends list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

And why do you feel the need to justify your existence through facebook? 'Look at me, I went out and got drunk on saturday night'.. So what? Some people don't feel the need to plaster pictures of themselves all over the internet to show how interesting their lives are.. maybe you should respect that

What about photos from other events? The people who take photos and share them seem to be the people who just love photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭bacon?

didn't vote, as there's no option for, "i'm not stupid enough to put up dumb pics of myself"

there's a girl i know who works in my company... anytime i log into face book, she's got an oul update there... thing is, her pics are pretty... well i'm not a prude... but, if you're in the working world... do you really want your profile pic of you grabbing another girls boobs... not sure if it's worse if your a guy or a girl grabbing the boobs...

and what about the boob grabbie?

anyway, i think it's a bit stupid... this could seriouslly come back and bite her on the a$$... maybe that's her next profile pic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

A lot of ugly nerds here have serious chips on the shoulder about being in photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

A lot of ugly nerds here have serious chips on the shoulder about being in photos

you're not following the arguments. I have plenty of photos of myself on t'internet which I authorise, by putting them up there. Flickr. And many more like it. Used to be on dating sites. There are private pictures - for which people need passwords, or to be friends ( and flickr does this and I dont open it up to most people) - which are riskque.

Mooning the camera ftw.

Heres a story from a long time ago. In internet years. The last world cup.

Went on tour with the lads. Lads took photos. Photos were put onto DVD and were for "our eyes only". There was s good reason for that, some of the photos would be controversial in the wrong hands - nothing much happened, but over 5 days of drinking there is always going to be pictures of guys with girls ( even if nothing happened), some goofy picture of someone lying in vomit, etc. etc.

The general lads consensus on these things *was* - all of 3-4 years ago - that what went on on tour, stayed on tour.

It wasnt even discussed with other lads who normally went on on tour, but werent on that specific tour.

As for normal nights out, same thing as far as I care. I want to be free to live a private life without worrying what my feckin sister, ex, other ex, potential future gf, girls at works, guys at work, or bosses at work think about anything. I want to be sh*tfaced on Friday, and professional on Monday. I want to be high on saturday, all bugeyed and crazy looking - if I choose - and normal on the meeting with the district manager on Tuesday. He's on Facebook. I want my feckin private life back without worrying about cameras.

F*ck off and join the paperazzi. Morons.

Turd Ferguson is Wilson from Home Improvement?

How do you know they're ugly?

Did you see their pic on facebook?

• Advertisement
Advertisement