Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tier listing for SF IV

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Hush :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Liamario wrote: »
    I don't understand why Ken is rated lower than Ryu when they are almost identical.

They're far from identical, Ken is much worse in this game compared to his old 3s self. & he's much worse than ryu in this. Ryu was mid tier in 3s, the roles have reversed. But imo 3s ryu was still better than SFIV ken. He's just so slow, tatsu leaves him open , his target combo is useless/pointless in this game. Overheads have been nerfed, they removed his 3s 'crazy legs' but the forward medium kick is nice. Where the feck is his knee bash etc etc etc. Ryu isnt just rated better then ken in this game due to his ultra set ups, ryu is just better over all.

animaX wrote: »
    You know lads, sometimes I get the feeling you dont like me much :p

What, is it my hair?

rofl:pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ken has a lot of weakness compared to Ryu.

His fireball game is slower and not as effective.
    His light and medium punch shoryuken is slower than Ryu's.
    While his shoryuken hit multi pal times you won't score all the hits if you shoryuken an opponent jumping in. Only his ex.shoryuken does better damage than Ryu's.
    Less ultra set ups and his shoryuken fadc ultra requires stricter timing than Ryu's one.
    His Tatsu's are generally unsafe even when they hit, even his ex version which doesn't knock down.
    Target combo can be ducked and leaves him exposed on block.

On the bright side is he still has lots of very damage combos and his kara throw is good.

Solid mid tier character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I have to say Azza that with my style of play (keeping it to the basics) it really doesn't make any difference if I was to choose ryu or ken. Thats not to say I don't know how to play, just that I am just as likely to win with Ken as I am with Ryu

Thats fine Liamario if your just keeping it to the basics, Ken and Ryu fundamentally play the same anyway. Throw a fireball and then dragon punch the opponent as he jumps in on you.

Not saying you don't know how to play the game, just I don't think you grasp what the subtle difference's are and how they can make a big difference to characters than on paper seem extremely similar. There is a vast amount of depth to Street Fighter and knowing these difference is as important as knowing how to perform a dragon punch.

I fear Ryu much more than Ken and that comes from actual experience not just reading up on theory.

• Advertisement

Perhaps Azza my fellow westmeathian we should have duel at some point. My PSN ID and Live Gamertag is Liamario. I fear that you have it on the 360 though.
    Getting back to what you are saying though. I understand that each character has a different moveset and different combos, but for the vast majority of players this makes little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Ken is the Urien of SFIV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

not at all, kens handicapped in SFIV, urien was making his way up to top tier, some amazing games of urien. Aegis reflector was genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Aegis Reflector was broke in a way Dhalsim's Ultra WISHES it was!

Also, Ken < Ryu. I would seriously advise a switch to Ryu, or Akuma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I say if you like ken stick with him. A really good ken can be hard to fight cos nobody is used to fighting one.
    Ryu is so overused it makes the majority of them piss easy to beat cos you know everything he can do. Using low tier characters has its advantages especially as low tier isnt even that bad in this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

everythings broken

I have SF IV on PS3 Liamario, sent you a friends invite. Hope to play you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Placebo wrote: »
    not at all, kens handicapped in SFIV, urien was making his way up to top tier, some amazing games of urien. Aegis reflector was genius

You've missed the point.
    Ken plays a lot better online than he does in real life, just like Urien in 3rd strike.

I can't think of anyone else who benefits from small bits of lag as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Liamario wrote: »
    Perhaps Azza my fellow westmeathian we should have duel at some point. My PSN ID and Live Gamertag is Liamario. I fear that you have it on the 360 though.
    Getting back to what you are saying though. I understand that each character has a different moveset and different combos, but for the vast majority of players this makes little difference.

As he already answered he's on the PS3 alright but here you got it on the PC too do you? I have it on both ps3 and pc but I'm generally not arsed wipping out the ps3 anymore.

Don't think this the wrong way, I'm not saying I know what skill level you are or whatever. But I remember the original massive SF4 thread we had going before we got our own section. There was this poster on there who kept insisting he was extremely good at the game (not saying you are) he kept saying things like "All you people saying seth is hard are crazy, he's easy I beat him all the time etc etc" and we'd be all, "do you play online" and he was like "not that often cause its too easy online" and all that ****.

I added him and played the guy one night, now I'm not a fantastic player but I have online experience and I generally just play for fun. I beat him 20 - 0 and I was just messin around I wasnt trying to destroy the guy, he was just a basic flow chart ken. I used my weakest characters. Anyway the guy totally flipped out, and from what I gather never played the game again or posted on here about it. Which sucks as I was just trying to give the guy some ggs, he took offense that I played characters like sakura and dan, I did that to try and give the guy a GG , I didnt wanna pwn the guy, last thing I wanna do is turn people off the game :(

Theres legions and legions of really bad players online in this game that can give a false sense of how good you are as a player. Also playing bad players hurts your game. Azza is the best bison I've played so far. Before the other day I thought I had gief down, turned out I was just playing **** giefs all this time, dreddys gief had me for breakfast and shat me back out again.

All I'm saying if your insisting Ken is not as bad as people are saying it just comes off like you haven't enough experience to know the differences. If you totally wipe Azza out with your ken, nice work, I look forward to seeing your ken. Just don't ragequit street fighter if Azza beats you like that guy I fought though :p hehe

(I mean all this in a lighthearted way, not trying to piss you off or judge you :p )

I can assure you Mr Funt I am under no illusions as to my slightly above average abilities. I too play for fun and I am certainly not in the business of trash talking even if I do win. I am pretty good at COD4 though :D
    I don't have a particular character and have no doubt that Azza or any one of you gentlemen (or ladies) will wipe the floor with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

So who officially does these tier lists?

Advertisement