Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to soundproof an air vent

Options
  • 05-10-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an air vent in my sitting room that lets a lot of sound in through it. I can easily hear people talking outside and it's a bit annoying.
    Is there any way to add some sort of soundproofing to it to reduce the noise?

Thanks,
    Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

While probably not a fantastic idea, I was in a similar situation.
    Short answer was to stuff it with newspaper.

Long answer below.

We have an airvent in the sitting room on the front of the house. There are open fields with no cover out in front of us and winds can get quite high.
    The noise of the wind blowing through the vent was absolutely killing me.

I opened up the vent and stuffed it with newspaper.
    This stopped the wind noises from blowing through.

Now I should mention that while there is a gas fire in our front room, we do not use it. If there are any gas/open fires in use in your room, then blocking the vent may be an extremely bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have an air vent in my sitting room that lets a lot of sound in through it. I can easily hear people talking outside and it's a bit annoying.
    Is there any way to add some sort of soundproofing to it to reduce the noise?

Thanks,
    Neil.

Take off the inside cover of the vent - put in a strong plastic bag - fill it with shredded paper and push it in as hard as possible, take a blunt edge wedge and tap it in more so that it fills up the hole, tie end of bag and replace the vent cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

stuff the hole with some insulation from the attic.

Advertisement