Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it weird ?

Options
  • 05-10-2009 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

To be very attached to a goldfish ?

I realise that many people feel that they are simply ornaments. They dont have the same human characteristics as a dog, cat etc. It doesnt know my name, and im not too sureit really recognises me. However, I have had him for two years, and love him to bits. I never gave him a name of any kind, but I look after him as best I can.

Should a goldfish be capable of taking as much of ones attention as a cat/dog ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Any animal can mean anything to anyone.
    Some people don't get how you can love a cat or dog, some people don't get how you could love a fish.

Personally, if it's someone (as such) that you care for, what does it matter to anyone else?
    I love my dogs dearly and would be lost without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sure why not, the wee goldfish we had would come over to the side of the tank to get closer to us when we approached.
    They ain't as stupid as people think either and aren't as forgetful as people thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Jackob

My goldfish is 25 years old now and he definitly knows me!! He comes over to the side of the tank when I go to feed him and I can actually pop the food in his mouth! When I clean out his tank every couple of weeks he doesnt bat a fin when I lift him out!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

We have ours between 6 months and 10 years (though our eldest was a rescue), they are not stupid and do have their own individual traits, they do mean a lot to us. Our fish can also tell the difference between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

I concur with everyone above. We sadly lost Samson, our oldest one last month, he was nearly five years old. We spent days doing everything we could find online to try and save him. He knew who we were, when it was feeding time, would play with you when you were cleaning the tank. Our other two fish went into mourning after he was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Of course its not weird. Fish are cool.:D I went scuba diving awhile back and seriously...had fun with a dodging contest with a fish underwater.It actually was playing with me. It was hilarious. So, yeh they arent as cute and cuddly as dogs/cats but i can well understand why and how someone would get attached to a goldfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

I had 2 fish for a while and they really were comforting. I was in a pretty stressful job at the time,watching the pair of them playing and chilling out was so relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

We got ten, had two for 4 years since i moved here from the UK Greedy and Tiddler, and then got two black mollys Bruce (he got swimbladder and mainly floated upside down for 3 months - i.e. Australian therefore Bruce) and Sheila (Bruces mate), then we have Wriggler 3 more gold and two shamuncum (sp) all of which we love and would miss dearly - maybe not as much as our 9 dogs or 2 rabbits though - we are known as the Doolittle's - wether this is cos we Do Little or cos we have so many animals we are not sure ;o)

Advertisement