Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

indoor cat

Options
  • 05-10-2009 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

hi, our cat is 1 year old and has always been indoors, will it be ok to start letting him go outside

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lian81

hi I got an indoor cat 2 years ago and and for the first 6 months i kept her indoors. i let her out shortly afterwards and she loved it but then she started staying away days and nights but would always come back. so i think that you should let him/her out. after all they are known for roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 loopy83

My cat is indoors only also as we live in an apartment on a busy road. Hoping to buy a house soon and trying to figure out the best way to introduce her to going out into the garden without wandering off and getting lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There is no way to ensure your cat always returns unless you restrict their outside access using a cat run or cat-proof fencing.

If you let your cat out, you just have to be prepared to lose them and wonder always what happened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

it is a worry for us, but since we got planning permission to build our own home, we will be living in a mobile home and it would be to small for our cat to run around it, we have thought about the idea of a cat run, a biggish one with a wooden hut/shelter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

CamperMan wrote: »
    it is a worry for us, but since we got planning permission to build our own home, we will be living in a mobile home and it would be to small for our cat to run around it, we have thought about the idea of a cat run, a biggish one with a wooden hut/shelter

I think a cat run would be a great idea. That will ensure she is safe, whilst also giving her the chance to experience the outside world. I believe they can be built very cheaply and there are loads of websites out there with photos and blueprints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

CamperMan wrote: »

Just found this and thought it might be helpful for you:
    http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf58255307.tip.html

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Our cat is mainly an indoor cat - but we let her go out into the back garden every day on a lead.

She wears a small cat harness and we tied the lead to a 20ft piece of washing line. (the plastic coating on the line prevents a lot of snagging on things.)
    The other end is tied to a small brick (weight). This can be easily repositioned to allow her access to another part of the garden.

We supervised her always to start with during her outings. And over time she follows similar patterns out there and generally has an idea how not to get tied up.

We keep a good eye / ear on her to ensure she doesn't get stuck.

She does get snagged now and then around a bush etc - but we're soon out to have her back on track.

This approach works for us and gives her a good deal of freedom outside.

I thought of cat proof fences etc - but to be honest there is no such thing.
    A wire cat run would be fairly unsightly and not that much fun - it would restrict her contact with grass / trees / wildlife etc.

Hope some of the above is of interest....

The key to it is good supervision - you can't leave them and forget - to avoid any wire related accidents etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

We had a beautiful half persian pure white cat, yrs ago. Because of the interest in her and also was scared she would get killed on the rd we decided to keep her inside. One day a window was left open and she decided to go for a wander. Well the worst happened and she went straight under a car. We heard a noise and went out to see her very badly injured. Had to get her PTS. We think as she was not used to been outside she hadnt got a clue what traffic was.

Advertisement