Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jakkass' views on homosexuality

Options
  • 05-10-2009 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi Jakkass,

As per Thaedydal's suggestion, I'd love for you to elaborate on your views, so thought I'd oblige and give you a platform of your own from where to enlighten us about your opinions on the morality of homosexuality.

As per my request in the other thread:

Would you expand on your moral interpretation of homosexuality please? Why do you care? How can sex between two consenting adults ever be immoral?

You must have a very well defined perception of morality to be able to hold these opinions. I am genuinely fascinated by people like you, please elaborate on how you have reached these conclusions with the certainty which is so evident in all your posts. It really baffles me.

I am not being sarcastic, by the way, I genuinely am intrigued.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

people like you,
    That sentence segment on it's own makes this thread invaid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

*subscribes*

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cabbage Brained

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    That sentence segment on it's own makes this thread invaid.

Could you please take your bad grammar and childish vitriolic outbursts somewhere else please, this has the potential to be quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Could you please take your bad grammar and childish vitriolic outbursts somewhere else please, this has the potential to be quite interesting.
    In what way was my post vitriolic ? I am simply saying that the OP's use of language hides a hidden agenda.
    If he dose want an adult discussion the least he can do is be polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Hi Jakkass,

As per Thaedydal's suggestion, I'd love for you to elaborate on your views, so thought I'd oblige and give you a platform of your own from where to enlighten us about your opinions on the morality of homosexuality.

Jakkass is a regular on the Christianity forum and is a devout Christian as far as I know. His views on homosexuality are a reflection of mainstream Christian position on homosexuality, based on common interpretation of the Bible.

I have certainly had my debates/arguments with him the past (I'm an atheist) but it seems a bit unfair to single him out as if he just made up his own views on homosexuality. His views on homosexual seem to be the standard Christian ones, hate the sin love the sinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

*grabs a big bowl of popcorn :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wicknight wrote: »
    Jakkass is a regular on the Christianity forum and is a devout Christian as far as I know. His views on homosexuality are a reflection of mainstream Christian position on homosexuality, based on common interpretation of the Bible.

I have certainly had my debates/arguments with him the past (I'm an atheist) but it seems a bit unfair to single him out as if he just made up his own views on homosexuality. His views on homosexual seem to be the standard Christian ones, hate the sin love the sinner.

I suspect he's being singled out due to spending rather a lot of time in this forum compared to other people holding those same views on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Just saw this thread on the main page and I thought I'd give my opinion, since it is an issue that I have given a lot of thought on numerous occasions.
    I'd like to make it clear that I have no intention of entering into a debate on this as I have found in the past that homosexuals and those who strongly defend the homosexual lifestyle tend to take offence very easily to the topic and I have no wish to get into an argument over it.

My stance on homosexual behaviour being immoral behaviour comes from two main trains of thought.

The first is my Catholic upbringing in which I was taught (and firmly believe) that sex should only take place between a man and a woman and only if they are married. I'd like to make it perfectly clear that from this perspective, I consider sex between unmarried heterosexuals to be almost exactly the same as sex between homosexuals from a moral standpoint.

My second reason for considering homosexual behaviour to be immoral is very similar to the first but it is based on my own experience, both direct and observed. I consider homosexual behaviour to be one of my symptoms of an ever-increasingly sexualised society and a culture of acceptance of promiscuity. Once again, I'd like to stress that I do not blame homosexuals exclusively for this. Heterosexuals are just as guilty.

I believe that sex should be between a man and a woman in a monogamous long-term relationship, marriage ideally. I consider all other forms of sex to be purely for self-gratification and I consider this to be detrimental to society as a whole. Sex serves two purposes in my opinion: 1. procreation and 2. to nurture a loving relationship between two adults so that they stay together for the benefit of their offspring.
    As homosexuals cannot have children (naturally), these purposes don't apply so so I consider any sex between homosexuals to be purely for self-gratification. Once again, the same would apply to heterosexual couples who choose not to have children.

At this point, since my explanation has been largely focused on sex, I feel I should point out that I have no issue with people being homosexual. Where the issue arises is when they start performing homosexual acts, for the reasons outlined above.

On a point not directly related to sex but related to the reasons for sex I mentioned above, I find it extremely immoral and selfish for homosexuals to seek to adopt children or bring children into the world via artificial insemination, circumventing the obvious fact of nature that homosexuals cannot have children. Once again, I do not want to get into an argument over this but how anyone can justify this is beyond me.

With regards adoption, I accept that a loving home for a child is better than no home at all (or one without love) but the fact is that there is already a very long waiting list for approved heterosexual couples to adopt children. A child deserves the oppertunity to have a father and a mother and it is extremely selfish and immoral to deny a child this in the name of political correctness.

Similarly, using artificial insemination to allow a homosexual couple to give birth "naturally" to a child is also immoral because essentially what is happening is the child is intentionally being brought into a broken family, since the father and mother are not (and in all probability never will be) together. Now I'm well aware that this happens amoung heterosexuals too. I consider that immoral also but that isn't the issue being discussed.

I'm aware I've gone for quite a bit there so I'm going to leave it at that. I'm going to try to avoid contributing further to this thread because I don't want to get into an argument I've had many times before. If anyone feels I've insulted them, I apologise. It was not my intention to insult anyone but since the OP said he/she wanted to hear from "people like [Jakkass]" I assume I'm welcome to illustrate my view.

Take care. God bless.
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Nothing good can come of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cabbage Brained

Thanks John, I appreciate the detailed and candid response. I'm heading to bed now so I'm too tired to reply, but I'll try to after work tomorrow. And the 'people like jakkass' was precisely meant in that context, not in any way that was supposed to be offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This thread has the potential to go all the wrong ways... I'll be watching...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's also against the Charter for good reasons. You can't argue against dogma and there's a Christianity forum for discussions of the Bible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement