Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First car for 18 year old girl

• 05-10-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Looking for a 1st car for my 18 year old daughter
    Any suggestions?? Have about €2,500 to spend and nothing over a 1.4L.
    Thanks in Advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Plenty of choices out there.
    Ford Ka and Fiesta are great cars for a first timer.
    Nissan Micra and VW Polo are both fairly popular choices as well.

Plenty out there within your budget. have alook on Carzone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Yaris, Clio or Fiesta 1.25 are all raved about in here!

And also, can't forget the ultimate, The Micra!
    Bloody great starter cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The car sv posted does look bloody good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

have a fiat punto and i love it only learnig to drive and i find it very easy to drive, only thing id say is if you go for a polo get the eletrics checked my mum has an 01 polo and it has a major fault that means its only fit for scrap, she was told by several vw dealers they have a good few 01 ones wit the same problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

SV wrote: »

cant go wrong with this! make them an offer and see how much they'll come down, buying a car myself at the mo and as im not trading in i've been haggling them way down from the asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Ya, that clio looks well in fairness.
    Plenty of great value out there at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

Id steer clear of a Clio to be honest they can be troublesome. Id go with a polo they are the sturdiest of the small cars and being a VW whenever she is ready to move to a bigger car she won't have a problem selling it on.

$lash wrote: »
    Id steer clear of a Clio to be honest they can be troublesome. Id go with a polo they are the sturdiest of the small cars and being a VW whenever she is ready to move to a bigger car she won't have a problem selling it on.

What 'troubles' have you heard of with clios?
    They're one of the most reliable small cars that exist.

and a polo? lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

1.0L Toyota yaris. Very reliable, very easy on petrol. Timing chain instead of timing belt so doesn't need changing. Plenty around for small money if age isn't too important.
    Drive one and see what you and daughter think.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately they are are from the same stable as the Laguna and Megane so they share the same quality of electrics. Ive seen and heard of any amount of sensor failures, complete ecu failures and numerous other electrical gremlins elec window motors etc.

Polos aren't bullet proof either but I would have one in a heartbeat over a clio. And like I said residuals are far superior which is surely a factor.

746watts wrote: »
    1.0L Toyota yaris. Very reliable, very easy on petrol. Timing chain instead of timing belt so doesn't need changing. Plenty around for small money if age isn't too important.
    Drive one and see what you and daughter think.

Never even thought of a Yaris ... great little car.

Unfortunately they are are from the same stable as the Laguna and Megane so they share the same quality of electrics. Ive seen and heard of any amount of sensor failures, complete ecu failures and numerous other electrical gremlins elec window motors etc.

Polos aren't bullet proof either but I would have one in a heartbeat over a clio. And like I said residuals are far superior which is surely a factor.

They're a completely different car than the laguna and the megane.
    You cannot compare the laguna and megane with the clio just because they're from the same manufacturer..

really? and where have you 'heard' of these failures?
    It is odd however that the clio has a great reputation..despite all these failures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

and a polo? lol.

I had a clio. First car actually. And whilst it was a comfy car I could never rely on it. The battery failed me a few times and only for I had breakdown assist I would have been facing a long walk home. Other than that it caused no problems but it definitely had dodgy electrics. I had to get a speedo sensor and a flasher switch replaced. The front lights were like candles, very weak and in fact one of the dims didn't work for the best part of 6 months. Miraculously it came back on one day and worked after that. As I've said, a nice car bar the dodgy electrics.

stepbar wrote: »
    I had a clio. First car actually. And whilst it was a comfy car I could never rely on it. The battery failed me a few times and only for I had breakdown assist I would have been facing a long walk home. Other than that it caused no problems but it definitely had dodgy electrics.

If the battery was failing you it was probably the alternator..
    Out of curiosity(Seeing as it failed you a few times) what was the problem?

and what phase clio was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Looked up 2003 Clios. Many things they are but reliable they aint.

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/trends2.html?apc=3128339010848601

EDIT: as per BBC's Watchdog program weren't they were the ones with the plastic bonnet catches that, if not properly maintained, could break causing the bonnet to fly open an smash the windscreen?

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/renault-denies-clio-bonnet-faults/224478

JHMEG wrote: »
    Looked up 2003 Clios. Many things they are but reliable they aint.

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/trends2.html?apc=3128339010848601

EDIT: as per BBC's Watchdog program weren't they were the ones with the plastic bonnet catches that, if not properly maintained, could break causing the bonnet to fly open an smash the windscreen?

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/renault-denies-clio-bonnet-faults/224478

I can't find the year on that one weirdly enough..
    Although, seeing as it was posted in 2003 and is comparing to the 106, AX, rover 200 etc..I think it's a safe assumption they're not talking about the 2003 clio.#

EDIT: No, that was the previous generation and it wasn't a case of being properly maintained, it was a recall and the problem was fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I have a Clio. Pretty old now-2000. Got nothing but trouble with it since I got it about 1.5-2 years ago. I mean everything that can go wrong went wrong. Timing belt snapped, break pads worn to bits, battery problems, the list just goes on. It just constantly seems to be breaking down. I'll be lucky to get a few more months out of it.

Saying that, my bro has a 2000 Clio too and his is perfect. Never had a problem with it at all. He cant recommend them enough. It still runs like new.

I think my specific car is just a lemon. Regardless, I would recommend all other Clio's except mine. A 1.2L would be perfect for a first car. The 2003 Clio should be in good nick.

A Polo is a better car but would be more expensive.

They're a completely different car than the laguna and the megane.
    You cannot compare the laguna and megane with the clio just because they're from the same manufacturer..

really? and where have you 'heard' of these failures?
    It is odd however that the clio has a great reputation..despite all these failures.

Jeeez ! Im sorry for insulting Clio's :o Im going by personal experience having been involved in the motor trade for quite a while. I have nothing against them in fact I came close to buying a williams as a track car not so long back. Its just that given my experiences with Clio II's I wouldn't recommend one.

Now you offered your opinion and I offered mine ... no need to continue hijacking this thread.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    I have a Clio. Pretty old now-2000. Got nothing but trouble with it since I got it about 1.5-2 years ago. I mean everything that can go wrong went wrong. Timing belt snapped, break pads worn to bits, battery problems, the list just goes on. It just constantly seems to be breaking down. I'll be lucky to get a few more months out of it.

Saying that, my bro has a 2000 Clio too and his is perfect. Never had a problem with it at all. He cant recommend them enough. It still runs like new.
    Timing belt, brake pads, battery all have a service life...if you don't change em, they'll go in any car!

Your brother probably just changed his when needed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

If the battery was failing you it was probably the alternator..
    Out of curiosity(Seeing as it failed you a few times) what was the problem?

and what phase clio was it?

It was a 1999, so what ever phase that was.

To be honest I "think" the problem was that the person before me put in a different radio and perhaps the electrics weren't able to handle it. One particular day, the radio switch off suddently as I was pulling into a car park. I pulled up and turned off the car. When I came back the battery was dead. Anyhow, I got a guy from the AA to call out and fix it. Truth be told I didn't want to spend much money on it as I got stung for 500 eur of work shortly after I got it.

In the end I NCT'd the car, it passed and that very day I wheeled up to Brady's in Cavan and purchased a Golf. They gave a a grand for it so happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sorry but simply is not true, the Clio is probably the most reliable car Renault has produced for years. Whatever about a Megane or Laguna having issues, Clios generally give very little trouble.

I would have a Clio every time over a Polo. VW's reputation for reliability is as exagerated as Renaults reputation for being the opposite. And resale value is not a true reflection of how good or bad a car is but rather the perception of a particular brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

GiftofGab wrote: »

LoL. :D There's very little wrong with a car that gives these problems, I think the problem here is with the driver. On every single car the Brakes will wear out and on any car with a timing belt, it will need its timing belt replaced at a certain service interval. Look after your car ya big numpty :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would have a Clio every time over a Polo. VW's reputation for reliability is as exagerated as Renaults reputation for being the opposite. And resale value is not a true reflection of how good or bad a car is but rather the perception of a particular brand.

I'd agree about buying a Clio over a Polo, at least for cars before '04-'05. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that Renault really does deserve it's reputation for really crap electrics though. And watch out for the Clio's unique 'Flying Bonnet' trick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Whatever you buy make sure it has plenty of NCAP stars...

http://www.euroncap.com/home.aspx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Could you get a 1.0 Yaris for that budget?

p.s. Yes you could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Never even thought of a Yaris ... great little car.

Love the yaris, I learned to drive in one of these, and then later ended up with one after I met my OH. Excellent on petrol, never had a problem with it. Far easier to change, although this is compared with my first experience in a manual (1984 Honda City)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

stepbar wrote: »
    It was a 1999, so what ever phase that was.

To be honest I "think" the problem was that the person before me put in a different radio and perhaps the electrics weren't able to handle it.

Interesting, sounds familiar as my sister has a '99 Clio and flat batteries are a regular occurrence. Has me wondering now if the alternators get tired quickly or are underrated or some such.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sorry but simply is not true, the Clio is probably the most reliable car Renault has produced for years.

thats a bit like being asked to cut off your hand and using a consaw because its the most comfortable way to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

bbam wrote: »
    Whatever you buy make sure it has plenty of NCAP stars...

http://www.euroncap.com/home.aspx

+1
    Any car for an 18 year old needs a good safety rating. 5 stars if possible. Theres an episode of top gear where they crash cars with different safety ratings and my god if you see it you'd never by a car under a 4 star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra micra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

A Fiesta 1.25 will probably get more kit for the money (look out for a Ghia trim) and they are reliable with a modern engine. It is also probably the nicest car to drive amoung the supermini's of this era.

Bottom line when buying a car: only buy what you like. If you don't like a fiesta, don't buy it just because it's sensible. If a micra makes you sick (and it probably will) then don't buy that either. If you love the punto, 206 or clio, then buy a good one; it might not be a well built as the fiesta but it will probably be fine.

Ford puma is a nice buy if you can insure it; they have a 1.4 although the 1.7 is the one to buy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I have to agree with some of the other guys here and avoid Clio's.. my little sis had one for a few years and it had nothing but problems with it, all around the electricals..

Switches going, fuese blowing, stereo went, electric window motors went.. issues with power steering.. it was a complete nightmare..

Toyota/VW/Ford.. all good choices.. The fiestas are great little cars and so are the Yaris.. you will get a Polo but they tend to hold their value a little more and might be a bit more expensive for the equivalent year, plus VW tend to be stingy with the extras so it might not be as well equipped..

Had both a Polo and a Fiesta, put 96k miles on the Polo in 3.5 years from new and never had a days problem with it.. Fiesta was the same, 30k miles in 18 months and never an issue.. plus ran on a sniff of petrol.

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The Fiesta 1.25 is a great car but it is not in the lowest insurance bracket. The difference in premium may be quite small for a female driver but it may be a consideration .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Jeez guys, how dare you insult the mighty Clio when SV is around, you should know by now how much of a hardon he has for them :D

• Advertisement

+1
    Any car for an 18 year old needs a good safety rating. 5 stars if possible. Theres an episode of top gear where they crash cars with different safety ratings and my god if you see it you'd never by a car under a 4 star
    It was pretty scary alright, the mk2 Punto has 4 stars suprisingly.

I would like to have a safe car...but i'd rather a fast one so thats why I took the road I did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Seat Ibiza?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

and a polo? lol.
    I'd tend to agree with the lad you replied to. Polo is a better built car.

OP try a 1.25 fiesta or a 1.3 ford Ka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Plug wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree with the lad you replied to. Polo is a better built car.

Until it refuses to go into gear any more. Over-rated basic-mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Aha-shake

I also reccomend the 1.25 Fiesta.

My mother owns one, reliable, safe, good handling, nice revvy engine, good spec in "Steel" trim especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Thanks for advice guys the clio was sold last week ,so ended getting this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id agree, forgot a Renault! either go for the Ford or a Toyota! ford are extremely good all rounders for what you pay! the toyota will be frugal to run, reliable and easy enough to sell id imagine! Just took a look for you on car zone, you will get an 02 for the price you are looking for, if you buy from a dealer, it will probably have received a valet and service! 2.5k wil get you a 1999 yaris, pretty much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what car did you end up buying OP?

OP got a mitsubishi colt.
    Very good deal on it too it seems..

Well wear..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

and a polo? lol.

Older Clios 2001 and before were grand. Newer ones like 2002 were troublesome, well only going from my experience. Two Clios from new. 2001 was perfect but some idiot in a micra ran in to the back of it while looking at her friend and talking (saw it in my rear view mirror while stopped at traffic).:rolleyes:
    So I bought a new one in 2002 and got the full spec Dynamique version. Lovely car to drive but lots of electrical issues (more toys). One was downright dangerous, I could drive along and out of the blue the car acts like a slammed on the brakes and the engine warning lights start flashing, it then drives happily with the warning light flashing.
    I am not sure how the newer generations are though.

How about a suzuki swift? Fun car and pretty reliable from what I head. My first car was a 94 swift and it was brilliant.

Advertisement