Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuition Fees

Options
  • 05-10-2009 8:25pm

Hi, so here is my problem!
    I did one year of a level 7 course in CIT in 2007 and then took a year out. I am now doing a level 8 course in UCC. Unfortunately I must now pay full EU tuition fees. If I had dropped out of my course before January 31st 2008 I would only have to pay half tuition fees and had I dropped out before October 31st 2007, I would not be liable for any tuition fees. These are the policies of the relevant colleges, the Higher Education Authority and the Department of Education. I was told they are black and white, there is no grey area. While I accept these policies, three people I know dropped out of college before January 31st (but after October 31st) and went back to another college the following September, they were liable for no tuition, when they should be liable to half tuition fees! Other people I know did two years of a degree and then got a National Certificate. They then applied for a totally different course and were not liable for tuition fees. Apparently because they are 'progressing'. Honestly I don't think you can tell me anything new as I have researched the matter thoroughly. But if anyone has had a somewhat similar experience where they commenced a new course after doing one previously, please tell me about it, when you dropped out and weather or not you had to pay tuition fees for your new course, etc. Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Hi, so here is my problem!
    I did one year of a level 7 course in CIT in 2007 and then took a year out. I am now doing a level 8 course in UCC. Unfortunately I must now pay full EU tuition fees. If I had dropped out of my course before January 31st 2008 I would only have to pay half tuition fees and had I dropped out before October 31st 2007, I would not be liable for any tuition fees. These are the policies of the relevant colleges, the Higher Education Authority and the Department of Education. I was told they are black and white, there is no grey area. While I accept these policies, three people I know dropped out of college before January 31st (but after October 31st) and went back to another college the following September, they were liable for no tuition, when they should be liable to half tuition fees! Other people I know did two years of a degree and then got a National Certificate. They then applied for a totally different course and were not liable for tuition fees. Apparently because they are 'progressing'. Honestly I don't think you can tell me anything new as I have researched the matter thoroughly. But if anyone has had a somewhat similar experience where they commenced a new course after doing one previously, please tell me about it, when you dropped out and weather or not you had to pay tuition fees for your new course, etc. Thank you for your time!
    bumped to top. im interested in hearing answers on this. might find meself in this situation next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Did 2 years of a level 7 course...failed exams in 2nd year and decided to finally drop out of it since i didnt really like it.....back doing a level 8 course now, in 2nd year and payed full fees for the 2 years of it....shouldnt have to pay next year

I actually enquired more about people who didn't have to pay fees after doing a course previously. Sometimes the college will not have claimed tuition fees from the HEA until after the October 31st deadline, so if you drop out mid-November as long as the college hasn't returned it's list of student numbers, you'd be fine! And the person I know who dropped out in January just doesn't know he will have to pay fees yet! So I guess I'll just have to pay full fees for the first year-oh well at least I got to the bottom of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I did a year of a Level 7 course in CIT, sat my exams both semesters but didn't go back that Sept as I didn't see myself enjoying the course. I took that year (Sept 08 - Sept 09) out and I went back to do a Level 8 course in CIT this year and I only had to pay the registration fees, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

Vinta81 wrote: »
    I did a year of a Level 7 course in CIT, sat my exams both semesters but didn't go back that Sept as I didn't see myself enjoying the course. I took that year (Sept 08 - Sept 09) out and I went back to do a Level 8 course in CIT this year and I only had to pay the registration fees, nothing else.
    Yeah that was a similar for me! I was in Trinity for technically a year and a half back in 2006/7 and worked for a year and went to UCD last year and I haven't got charged since! I'm now in my first semester of second year and still haven't got charged! I just hope it doesn't come back next to bite me in the ass! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

I also know of 2 girls in my class this year (first year) who are in this circumstances. One dropped out in 3rd year of a Level 8 and another dropped out in Semester 2 first year of a Level 7. The courses they done prior were all done in WIT which is the college we are in now.

The girl who dropped out in 3rd year had to pay 1500 and was excluded from a grant. No tuition fee's and she assumes her 1500 covers it.

Second girl who dropped out of the Level 7 didnt have to pay the 1500 and got a grant ...

Maybe some are just lucky

Ya the rules are definately different for the Institutes of Technology. I really cant believe the girl who dropped out in 3rd year doesnt have to pay tuition. I mean she more or less cost the government 3 years of fees and didn't obtain any qualification.....or maybe she got a cert or ordinary degree? Maybe the college will get on to her at a later stage as that happens alot. I presume because the other girl got the grant, that paid for her registration fee of €1,500, as know one can escape that.

Advertisement