Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the most farfetched episode?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

EnterNow wrote: »
    Great episdoe, very well done I thought - if certainly far fecthed :p

At least the writers and producers admitted that episode was far-fetched by having Kira laugh about it at the beginning. But it was great fun, unlike some of the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

The Big Goodbye.

Virgin were showing the 5 best trek episodes voted by the fans the other day i think, and this was one of them.

Its a seeason 1 episode of TNG where piccard gets stuck in a Dixon hill holodeck program.
    1) Everyone acts like this is the first time they'd ever seen a holodeck; but the holodeck is in the first episode Encounter at Farpoint.
    2) "Ensign crusher"
    3) Holodeck lipstick stays on piccards face (until cleaned by crusher)
    4) The holodeck characters can see the arch
    5) Shutting down the holodeck might make the real people on it "vanish"
    6) Dixon Hill was Piccards child hood hero, but he doesnt know any of the characters or lingo
    7) Their whole mission was to go to a planet, say hello, and then leave. Once they say hello, they break orbit and leave! That was the mission of vital importance?!
    8) Whats going to happen to this world when you leave? "I honestly dont know". I do. Its a computer program you're about to shut off.

I dont know whether this is a good thing or bad thing. But there is some very obvious, and well played sexual tension between Piccard and Crusher; much stronger than anything that ever came in later episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The new movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Voyager's Threshold:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Any episode of Voyager where they relied on Neelix for anything .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

The Big Goodbye.

Virgin were showing the 5 best trek episodes voted by the fans the other day i think, and this was one of them.

Its a seeason 1 episode of TNG where piccard gets stuck in a Dixon hill holodeck program.
    1) Everyone acts like this is the first time they'd ever seen a holodeck; but the holodeck is in the first episode Encounter at Farpoint.
    2) "Ensign crusher"
    3) Holodeck lipstick stays on piccards face (until cleaned by crusher)
    4) The holodeck characters can see the arch
    5) Shutting down the holodeck might make the real people on it "vanish"
    6) Dixon Hill was Piccards child hood hero, but he doesnt know any of the characters or lingo
    7) Their whole mission was to go to a planet, say hello, and then leave. Once they say hello, they break orbit and leave! That was the mission of vital importance?!
    8) Whats going to happen to this world when you leave? "I honestly dont know". I do. Its a computer program you're about to shut off.

I dont know whether this is a good thing or bad thing. But there is some very obvious, and well played sexual tension between Piccard and Crusher; much stronger than anything that ever came in later episodes.

Very good points.
    It's actually kind of amazing that they ever got to make a season 2 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

So I personally think I've narrowed it down to either the episode of DS9 where they save the universe from a smaller universe, or the one of Voyager where they break warp ten and Janeway and Paris turn into lizards and mate, then go back to normal.

Any other candidates?

Whatever episode showing seven of nine nudeicon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

SarahBM wrote: »
    I dont remember RTE ever showing TNG.

It used to be on on a Saturday night at around 8pm. And it was followed by Secrets hosted by Gerry Ryan. This was early 90's.

How is it I remember crap like this, but ask me what I did on Wednesday evening and I look at you blankly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

I've no problem with the freaky future science that appears at odds with our present ideas about physics, or the strangely familiar cultures (Nazis, Chicago mobsters, cowboys and indians) that seem to populate the galaxy. What I'd call 'far-fetched' are those things that make no sense in terms of existing history or plain cold logic...

For example of the latter, the most far-fetched single thing has to be the way the internal communicators work in the TNG era. Apparently Picard can say "Brdge to Commander Riker", and Riker will simultaneously hear his personal comm badge say "Bridge to Commander..." before Picard has had time to address the message to him. Psychic ship's computer = spooky.

Other than that, TNG: Genesis does indeed take the biscuit. Characters 'de-evolve' (what does that even mean?) into species that are not and never have been ancestors of humanity. We have spider DNA in our genome? HOW? Humans are vertebates, spiders are arthropods. Vertebrates split off from invertebrates 525 million years ago, the earliest spiders evolved about 350 million years ago. So whatever amazing stuff happens in the 25th century, there will be no leftover spider DNA in our genome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tordelback wrote: »
    Other than that, TNG: Genesis does indeed take the biscuit. Characters 'de-evolve' (what does that even mean?) into species that are not and never have been ancestors of humanity. We have spider DNA in our genome? HOW? Humans are vertebates, spiders are arthropods. Vertebrates split off from invertebrates 525 million years ago, the earliest spiders evolved about 350 million years ago. So whatever amazing stuff happens in the 25th century, there will be no leftover spider DNA in our genome.

everything on earth shares a lot of the same gene code though. Chimps are 95%+ the same, I'm sure we have at least 10% or so in common with spiders

• Advertisement

everything on earth shares a lot of the same gene code though. Chimps are 95%+ the same, I'm sure we have at least 10% or so in common with spiders

I did read somewhere that the DNA of a bat is more similar to Humans than Chimpanzees are. Ill try to find a source for that. Could a man de-evolve into a bat? Doubtful.

That said with all the Genetic manipulation that went on in the Star Trek Universes past, and which, lets face it, could easily happen here in the near future, who is to say animal DNA didn't get added to the Human DNA structure, sometime in the 21st or 22nd centuries?

I always thought the Moriarty storylines, where he is a hologram who becomes sentient, was a bit much for me.

syklops wrote: »
    I did read somewhere that the DNA of a bat is more similar to Humans than Chimpanzees are. Ill try to find a source for that. Could a man de-evolve into a bat? Doubtful.

That said with all the Genetic manipulation that went on in the Star Trek Universes past, and which, lets face it, could easily happen here in the near future, who is to say animal DNA didn't get added to the Human DNA structure, sometime in the 21st or 22nd centuries?

I always thought the Moriarty storylines, where he is a hologram who becomes sentient, was a bit much for me.

There also could have been some alien species interbreeding going on.
    That is what i assumed.
    One of Barkley's ancestors could have had arachnid ancestory?? Who knows.

Ah, good one! That's a neat explanation.

Leaving that cleverness to one side I can assure you, gentle readers, that since the common ancestor we share with spiders dates to maybe 560 million years ago, it was closer to a flatworm than it is to either species, and certainly didn't have compound eyes or nasty pedipalps like SpiderBarclay. The evolutionary paths of spiders and people are about as far apart as two animals can get without invoking sponges...
    I did read somewhere that the DNA of a bat is more similar to Humans than Chimpanzees are. Ill try to find a source for that.

The thing about bats is nuts, but it's a canard regularly trotted out by creationists so you'll find it all over the web. Humans and chimps share a common ancestor only about 5 or 6 million years ago, that's why their DNA (and biology) shares so many similarities. The common ancestor of bats and humans (and most other mammals, including hedgehogs, horses, rhinos and whales) lived about 80 million years ago, in the Cretaceous, and was probably a shrewlike thing.

Another option to consider is that business of humanoid life in Star Trek being seeded across the galaxy by 'the progenitors' or whatever they were called, so who knows what genetic fun'n'games that entailed.

Ah, good one! That's a neat explanation.

However I can assure you, gentle readers, that since the common ancestor we share with spiders dates to maybe 560 million years ago, it was closer to a flatworm than it is to either species, and certainly didn't have compound eyes or nasty pedipalps like SpiderBarclay. The evolutionary paths of spiders and people are about as far apart as two animals can get without invoking sponges...

(The thing about bats is nuts, and a canard regularly trotted out by creationists. Humans and chimps share a common ancestor only about 5 or 6 million years ago, that's why their DNA (and biology) shares so many similarities. The common ancestor of bats and humans (and most other mammals, including hedgehogs, horses, rhinos and whales) lived about 80 million years ago, and was probably a shrewlike thing).

Who said that all their genetic information came from Earth though?

Yeah, sorry wires got crossed when I was over-editing that post. You're quite right, if we assume there's alien DNA mixed into the human population all bets are off. I was just trying to correct the 'real world' science angle!

Exactly, I mean imagine First Contact was made with a humanoid extra-terrestrial species next week. Imagine the amount of cross-species bredding that would happen in a very short time. Cross-species brothels would shoot up in places like Amsterdam.

5 centuries later, the Human Genome would become more of a Humanoid gravy.

Yeah, sorry wires got crossed when I was over-editing that post. You're quite right, if we assume there's alien DNA mixed into the human population all bets are off. I was just trying to correct the 'real world' science angle!

When I saw it first I actually thought the same thing but then thinking of Troi as a hybrid made me think that there only needed to be 1 non-human distant ancestor, to throw things way out

Sarek and Amanda aside (is Spock the very first hybrid?), mixing species is never going to be easy or automatic. Presumably some sort of treatment or ex-vitrio meddling is required to make the inhabitants of different planets compatible parents.

Exactly, I mean imagine First Contact was made with a humanoid extra-terrestrial species next week. Imagine the amount of cross-species bredding that would happen in a very short time. Cross-species brothels would shoot up in places like Amsterdam.

5 centuries later, the Human Genome would become more of a Humanoid gravy.

Only if they were hot Orion slave girls, or something

Sarek and Amanda aside (is Spock the very first hybrid?), mixing species is never going to be easy or automatic. Presumably some sort of treatment or ex-vitrio meddling is required to make the inhabitants of different planets compatible parents.

First Human/Vulcan hybrid
    Look at the TNG timeline; Deanna, Kaylar and her son Alexander, B'Elanna Torres and her daughter. All examples of interspecies breeding.
    Kaylar, Alexander and Torres would seem to indicate that Klingon/Human breeding was not that hard to do.
    Vulcans, having a different blood base could be the harder one to do

Trip and T'Pol had one in the "real" last epoisode of Enterprise. The child died but was viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

First Human/Vulcan hybrid

Wasn't T'pol and Tucker's kid the first, not that it lasted long...

Was rewriting that post and added that in. Almost forgot about that one.
    I think that the science was not correctly applied in that case but let Phlox see that it was possible

Also the Klingon/Human interbreeding abilities could also be attributed to the Human Augment DNA, present in a large proportion of the Klingon population

Hmm, never saw the end of Enterprise. Don't think I want to if it had that kind of misery in it!

Hmm, never saw the end of Enterprise. Don't think I want to if it had that kid of misery in it!

Also, there could be viral inserts of alien DNA, into the human genome by that time.

Would mean that you would not even have to have the ancestor, to display genetic characteristics of something else

That didnt happen. In fact most of the goings on in Enterprise did not happen.

At least as far as i am concerned they didnt. How can you compare a quality show like TNG, or even a so-bad its good show like Voyager with the PoS that is Enterprise.

A missed opportunity IMO.

on screen, it happened. You have to get over this. Anyway season 3 and 4 are not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Also the Klingon/Human interbreeding abilities could also be attributed to the Human Augment DNA, present in a large proportion of the Klingon population

FWIW K'heylar specifically states in TNG ep "The Emisary" that she is the result of artificial combining of human and Klingon DNA rather than nasty ol' mating.

FWIW K'heylar specifically states in TNG ep "The Emisary" that she is the result of artificial combining of human and Klingon DNA rather than nasty ol' mating.

Well it's easier for her to say that then "I was drunk and vulnerable at the time..."

still it shows that once it is done it can enter the population. Look at alexander. All that happened here was some good old fashioned nasty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

About the film, how the hell the Neros ship take out 47 Klingon Ships, I know its big and that but surely they could have done some very serious damage to it

Advertisement