Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the most farfetched episode?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

About the film, how the hell the Neros ship take out 47 Klingon Ships, I know its big and that but surely they could have done some very serious damage to it

drop out of warp, launch all those Borg adapted missiles, job done. Especially if they were BOP, which tend to last all of 10 seconds in most combat with Dominion of Federation ships even 80-100 years later

there are so many other things wrong with that film though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

drop out of warp, launch all those Borg adapted missiles, job done. Especially if they were BOP, which tend to last all of 10 seconds in most combat with Dominion of Federation ships even 80-100 years later

there are so many other things wrong with that film though

We could dedicate an entire forum to far fetchedness(possibly not a word) in Star Trek(the 2009 movie).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

syklops wrote: »
    We could dedicate an entire forum to far fetchedness(possibly not a word) in Star Trek(the 2009 movie).

I'll start:
    Why does the Enterprise (2009 version) contain an industrial-scale brewery?
    :(

I'll start:

cos in that timeline the designer was Irish:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

I'll start:

A wizard put it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

How does Spock see Vulcan being destroyed? For that to be possible, that ice-planet can only be a previously-unknown moon or double-planet of Vulcan, in which case the Enterprise hadn't moved at all between rescuing Sarek and dumping Kirk. Some hurry they were in.

What's more, you'd think Scotty would have noticed that the planet his concrete-block-built space outpost was orbiting had turned into a black hole.

And then there's transwarp beaming across at least a few lightyears to a ship whose precise course, position and speed cannot be known to the beamers, which broadens Kirk's famous question out to "why does anyone need a starship?".

I'll start:

That really annoyed me in the film. It looked like a bottling plant.

Delta Vega - A remote, uninhabited planet, site of an abandoned lithium cracking facility where Captain Kirk attempted to maroon Lt. Cmdr. Gary Mitchell after he developed dangerous psychic powers and threathened the Enterprise.[68] Delta Vega also appears in the 2009 Star Trek movie. Both the elder Spock and Kirk are marooned there in an arctic region. Spock was left on the planet by the Romulan Nero so he could watch his home world of Vulcan be destroyed. Vulcan and Delta Vega appear very close to each other and are possibly in the same star system. (However, the Wikipedia entry for Vulcan says it is in the 40 Eridani A system.) After Kirk disrupts the Enterprise mission, he is marooned on Delta Vega by the younger Spock on star date 2252.48. Kirk eventually encounters the older Spock and the two find Montgomery Scott working in a Federation research facility on the planet. Star Trek writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, however, have stated that, while the similar name is intentional, the Delta Vega in the episode and the film are not the same planet.

remote, eh even though its next door to Vulcan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'll start:

Because a lot of films use breweries, as industrial settings?

That planet was supposed to Delta Vega?!? The one near the Great Barrier at the edge of the galaxy, but it had a moon-sized view of Vulcan, whicj is less than twenty light years form Earth? Dear me.

This nit-picking isn't to say I didn't enjoy the film hugely, 'cos I did.

EDIT: Ah, I see, just a huge coincidence of names.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

Spocks POV for the destruction of Vulcan was shown in a mind-meld, so it could be said it was not an accurate representation of what happened. The writers said in an interview that Nero probably left a telescope, or some such device, with Spock so he could see what had happened.

The author Christopher L. Bennet who was going to write one of the books based on the 2009 film suggested that maybe there was a 'Delta Vega' corporation who had a numbe rof dilithium mines around the quadrant to explain the name.

CSaber wrote: »
    Spocks POV for the destruction of Vulcan was shown in a mind-meld, so it could be said it was not an accurate representation of what happened. The writers said in an interview that Nero probably left a telescope, or some such device, with Spock so he could see what had happened.

eh?

Its seen in the sky of the planet by the viewer themselves...

Yes but it was shown during the mind-meld sequence which could be analogous to a dream sequence. It was a representation of what had happened and could then be interpreted as not a 100% accurate recreation of events. Like most things, a use of imagination is required.

Yes but it was shown during the mind-meld sequence which could be analogous to a dream sequence. It was a representation of what had happened and could then be interpreted as not a 100% accurate recreation of events. Like most things, a use of imagination is required.

Or they could have had him looking through a telescope??

Seems to me to be writers trying to cover up a bit of an erros

Clever get-outs - I wish as much thought had been put into the film itself!. Any reason they wouldn't have taken Spock with them if he was going to be viewing Vulcan remotely anyway? Then Nero could have observed his suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It has to be the borg episode from enterpise. Probably the only episode to make me cringe and angry at the same time.

When writer's get tired and go 'hey I know. everyone loves the borg. Lets crowbar it into a sub kirk episode.' damage done.

nothing made sense and it was a really solid nail in the coffin of an otherwise really good show and excellant cast.

Isn't there anybody to say no to these things???? I mean otherwise we'd just be getting a phantom menace every other week.

Lantus wrote: »
    It has to be the borg episode from enterpise. Probably the only episode to make me cringe and angry at the same time.

When writer's get tired and go 'hey I know. everyone loves the borg. Lets crowbar it into a sub kirk episode.' damage done.

nothing made sense and it was a really solid nail in the coffin of an otherwise really good show and excellant cast.

Isn't there anybody to say no to these things???? I mean otherwise we'd just be getting a phantom menace every other week.

Part of me sort of liked the Borg episode in ENT as it made some logical sense following on from FC. In some respects it also explains the actions of 7 of 9s parents who were chasing the Borg in the 2350s, but then it is also a case of one bad series explaining the errors of another!

Anyway, I thought the Borg episode was much better than the Ferengi one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

What about the episode where Spock's dad, Sarek cries?... Pfffthh... A man crying.

Seriously though, "The Chase", wherein we discover that earthers, klingons, romulans, et al. are all descended from one "first-one" type race... To explain why we all look so similar.

To the defence of the Voyager Irish holodeck programme, it is a holodeck programme, they aren't saying this is an accurate representation of Ireland, just that in the future holodeck programme writers are no better than modern-day hollywood TV/movie writers... ;)

Once upon a time

You can close this thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

'Parallels' in TNG was awful rubbish.
    Got so complicated at the end, that you didn't know who was who.

• Advertisement

komodosp wrote: »
    What about the episode where Spock's dad, Sarek cries?... Pfffthh... A man crying.

Seriously though, "The Chase", wherein we discover that earthers, klingons, romulans, et al. are all descended from one "first-one" type race... To explain why we all look so similar.

To the defence of the Voyager Irish holodeck programme, it is a holodeck programme, they aren't saying this is an accurate representation of Ireland, just that in the future holodeck programme writers are no better than modern-day hollywood TV/movie writers... ;)

Nope. The doctor is explicit in stating that captian janeway was an irish history buff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭AndrewS

As a life long trekkie, and always will be regardless of the tripe that gets produced nowadays, Im going to have to say there are quite a few very bad episodes.

The one where Picard is chased down by Daemon Bok and introduced to his "son".

Janeway and her "warp particles".

Janeway saying "theres coffee in that nebula"

Any episode with Dr Pulaski.

Any episode where Wesley Crusher demonstrated cringe worthy intelligence and saves the ship.

Star Trek Generations. For the simple reason that Geordi totally forgot about ejecting the warp core when he says "we are 5 minuts from a warp core breach, theres nothing I can do". And dont tell me that the warp core ejection systems were off line!!!

The episode with Crusher and the first Trill.

Any episode of DS9 where Kira cried.

The "Mirror Universe" episode of Enterprise.

Need I go on???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

KenSwee wrote: »
    'Parallels' in TNG was awful rubbish.
    Got so complicated at the end, that you didn't know who was who.

i quite liked that one.

The dishevelled Riker shouting into the viewscreen that they wouldn't go back cos the Borg were everywhere....

The kinda touching scene where the Riker on the ship Work eventually ended up on says to Picard from the series timeline ship that it's good to see him, and Picard not quite knowing how to react, stuff like that.

One thing i didn't like in it though was that it sowed the seeds of the Worf/Troi relationship.

AndrewS wrote: »

The "Mirror Universe" episode of Enterprise.

:eek::eek:
    That's one of the best from any Trek series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Gonna go for "Where noone has gone before" (6th ep of TNG)

uJprz.jpg

They make a whoopsie and end up 2.7 million light years away. Then the traveller touches the console and they end up God knows where. Then they all start manifesting visions from their imagination on command before returning home just in time for the reset button.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think it's a great ep, very sci-fi, but it is pretty far-fetched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I'm resisting the urge to comment on the ST 2009 comments as I'd run over the character limit pointing out all the flaws :)

Edit: The flaws in the movie obviously, not th eflaws in the comments.
    Anyway I'm off to build a starship on the ground...in Iowa, later.

gatecrash wrote: »
    The dishevelled Riker shouting into the viewscreen that they wouldn't go back cos the Borg were everywhere....

"I WONT GO!!!!"

Brilliant.

Goldstein wrote: »
    Gonna go for "Where noone has gone before" (6th ep of TNG)

uJprz.jpg

They make a whoopsie and end up 2.7 million light years away. Then the traveller touches the console and they end up God knows where. Then they all start manifesting visions from their imagination on command before returning home just in time for the reset button.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think it's a great ep, very sci-fi, but it is pretty far-fetched.

IMHO that was the first actual good ep of TNG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

One thing that is a pity about 'Parallels' is that the writers could have left room for a Mirror Universe ep of TNG.

When all the different Enterprise's were appearing in the sector it would've been fun to see a meaner looking Galaxy Class ship, and the ISS prefix to the name.

Then go to a mirror episode a few weeks later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

"I WONT GO!!!!"

Brilliant.

There was alawys mad double entendres and innuendo in a lot of episodes.

I remember one where the Cardassians had Picard captured at one stage. He was naked throughout the whole show and the cheeky Cardassian chappy was pressing a remote control which made Picard squirm in pain. It was funny as the dialogue implyed the device was attached to Big Jim and the Twins :eek:

Picard getting his nads electroded, far fetched but halarious at the same time.

Also in the TNG Irish episode, they was to repopulate the whole planet so each Paddy had to take 3 or 4 wives. Magnificent. The IMF should bring that rule in :D

Advertisement