Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice (IRL) - Season 2 Week 3 Discussion

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Wahey! More accents!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

Aoifes eyes are freaking me out, I think she's trying some Derren Brown trick on Bill Cullen.

The show is a bit stupid but very entertaining and really shows what a horrible place the world of business is and I thank god I'm not involved in it.

podge018 wrote: »
    Wahey! More accents!

I'm here to slag yer man Breffne about his posh accent because I can't slag northside accents because that is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

There's just as little funny about that if you just quote him verbatim.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Arrrggh!!! I can't stand that Geraldine "i GOT NOTHING EASY" one. Everybody on the show seems to have the same conclusion; she has nothing to add.
    All I can see is that she sits back, lets everybody else do the work and come up with ideas, then near the end critisces everybody else when she came up with SFA herself! She needs to be made leader one week soon to show her up ;)

• Advertisement

podge018 wrote: »
    Why do posters in this thread quote Bill and Geraldine using a 'Dubb-ah-lin' accent as if that's funny on its own? I haven't seen anyone having pops at anyone's culchie accent. Pretty childish behaviour really.

I would argue that this slagging of accents has been fairly split: -

The ginger guy with his ridiculous blackrock college accent even though he hails from Tuam.
    Breffni and his mid-atlantic accent, the origin of which sociologists are still trying to fathom.

vs

Geraldine
    other northside girl blonde

The reason that the Geraldine girl has come in for commment is not her accent per se but the way in that she has on a couple of occasions explicitly played the social class card with the comment about trinity education and the fact that the reason that she wasn't being listened to was down to her social origins. She also tries to curry favour with Dr. Bill in this way.

This makes her come across as a whinger with a chip on her shoulder. If she wants to prove herself, let her take on the proj mgr job and prove herself and more power to her if she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Dr Bill has milked the "penny apples" thing waaay too much. We got it from day one. Fair play, now get over it. Geraldine has been doing the "university of life" bit too. If they're going to use their lack of a silver spoon as an excuse for their success and failure, and put themselves in the public eye, they deserve ribbing for it.

(Don't Trinity students receive free education too, by the by?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

mfitzy wrote: »
    Arrrggh!!! I can't stand that Geraldine "i GOT NOTHING EASY" one. Everybody on the show seems to have the same conclusion; she has nothing to add.
    All I can see is that she sits back, lets everybody else do the work and come up with ideas, then near the end critisces everybody else when she came up with SFA herself! She needs to be made leader one week soon to show her up ;)

Aoiffe, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Geraldine has been plugging this whinge on several occasions now and frankly it is complete BS imo. It is up to everybody to get up off their asses and achieve for themselsves.
    And on the show she seems to have been getting away with it as well. We need to see her manage one of the teams and see how wonderful she is then ;)

I'm sorry if i'm coming across as personal towrds her but her victim attidude really annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Yip, your Aoiffe!

Only messing, I agree with you 100% there, hopefully she is team leader next time, and we'll see how she gets on. No way mfitzy Aoiffe will be able to take orders from her though or vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

deadwood wrote: »
    Dr Bill has milked the "penny apples" thing waaay too much. We got it from day one. Fair play, now get over it. Geraldine has been doing the "university of life" bit too. If they're going to use their lack of a silver spoon as an excuse for their success and failure, and put themselves in the public eye, they deserve ribbing for it.

(Don't Trinity students receive free education too, by the by?)
    Nail on head my friend.

He got lucky with Renault 20 years ago and made a few bob from selling it back to them. He's trying to hire someone and he cant even manage his own business in the current climate, Id say he did the show as he needed the money :p

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5683880.ece

glasso wrote: »
    I'm here to slag yer man Breffne about his posh accent because I can't slag northside accents because that is not allowed.
    He sounds drunk :confused: In fact if he was stopped at a Garda checkpoint Id say the lads would be tripping over themselves to get the breathalyser out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

glasso wrote: »
    other northside girl blonde

I presume you mean Jennifer? If so, she's actually from Quarryvale near Liffey Valley Shopping Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Sizzler wrote: »
    He sounds drunk :confused: In fact if he was stopped at a Garda checkpoint Id say the lads would be tripping over themselves to get the breathalyser out :D

Breffeny He sounds like Enda Kenny after smoking a bong.

The BBC version also has its muppets and hate figures and has the odd crappy task thrown in but the TV3 version is just so amateur and an extremely poor copy of what is a great show format. Fur coat no knickers springs to mind. You just know when you tune in that its going to be a shambles and thats not even the contestants :eek:

The BBC version is taken seriously as the boss has credibility and an enviable suite of business interests, TV3 have enlisted Cullen who has two Renault franchises and a hotel in Kerry :confused: Nobody in business would take him seriously and in todays market he has no standing. Hes an after dinner speaker at best.

The show is on a similar standing as the initial weeks of X Factor where its pure cringe and people are just put their to be laughed at, the difference with the apprentice is, there really is no prize or lauding at the end, if the winner actually takes it seriously then you have to wonder what their career ambitions really are!

Can you imagine going for a job in a big 4 accountancy firm or commercial role in an established blue chip company and telling them your last job was working for Bill, they would be like - "OK....and what exactly did you do there? This means nothing in todays market. NEXT."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Saw in the paper there the other day that the Harvard Grad got down with one the ladies in the house?? Wonder was it his first Kiss?:p

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Saw in the paper there the other day that the Harvard Grad got down with one the ladies in the house?? Wonder was it his first Kiss?:p
    At least the viewers werent made watch it!

The house they are staying in is for sale for €1.8m.....good luck with that!

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/search/brochure/brannock-skerries-dublin-co&-city/KOXTX397629

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

Sizzler wrote: »
    The house they are staying in is for sale for 1.8m.....good luck with that!

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/search/brochure/brannock-skerries-dublin-co&-city/KOXTX397629
    LOL. Surely the ultimate product placement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Lads, this is probably a stupid question but:
    Why do they hold the mobile phones the way they do?
    Is it a 3g video-phone and they're looking at each other (looks a bit like an n97).
    Even if it is, it still looks a bit ridiculous, something really pretentious/affected about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Bit in the sunday world today saying tomorrows Boardroom will be shocking!!! One them reveals that a secret relationship has been going on in a bid to try save herself!!

tech77 wrote: »
    Is it a 3g video-phone and they're looking at each other (looks a bit like an n97).
    Even if it is, it still looks a bit ridiculous, something really pretentious/affected about it.
    Short answer they are copying the UK version! Adrian Chilles has taken the pi$$ out of contestants about it on You're Fired and its nothing more than the mics picking up what the other person is saying on the phone. Agreed, it looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

tech77 wrote: »

I think they are using, wait for it, the Samsung Jét. No product placement there eh? :rolleyes:

As for holding it that way, it's infuriating. You see drivers holding it like that too. It's as if they want to disguise the fact they're on the phone by holding it differently.
    I feel "the rage" returning....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sayseeboots

They have to hold it like that for speakerphone for the camera's sake, also these people are heavily edited to get the viewing public talking (successfully).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

The muppets must have a great time staying in that house on the complete doss! Sure how many weeks is the show on for?

And it seems they only actually do any 'work' for 2 days out of the week?

They get their brief in the morning, then the next day they are back in the boardroom by 4pm. When Bill foires someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

rsta wrote: »
    The muppets must have a great time staying in that house on the complete doss! Sure how many weeks is the show on for?

And it seems they only actually do any 'work' for 2 days out of the week?

They get their brief in the morning, then the next day they are back in the boardroom by 4pm. When Bill foires someone.

I doubt each episode is based on a real week. They portray it that way but I'd say each episode is taken from 2-4 days filming, and then they start the new "week" when that's done. Similar to America's Next Top Model....they say that it's shot over 14 or so weeks, when in fact the filming of the entire cycle usually only takes about half that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The Bog Red Book are using a rubix cube in their advertising!!

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=theapprentice&tv3_preview=&imageGalleryPanel=1

Advertisement