Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Dont Want To Do Religious Education In School

• 05-10-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Well What the title says i guess!!
    i dont believe in god(s) or any of that stuff i think in my own opinion it is a load of *****. no offence to anyone else but i just dont see how there could be a god. Well since i dont believe in it and all is there anyway i dont have to do it in school??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go to a non-religious school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭the lil man

nah i want to stay in the same school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

As an atheist I know more about Christianity than most Christians. Whether you believe in any of the various religions of the world or not is not important, they're a part of our society and it is good to understand them, even if you don't believe in them.

Now, if your Religion Education class is little more than an informal Catholic mass then you have grounds to object. Be polite about it and drop in words like "diversity" and "tolerance" and they'd probably be willing to arrange something.

They don't do RE exams or anything, do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Just tell them you don't wish to partake in the class.

Zillah wrote: »
    As an atheist I know more about Christianity than most Christians. Whether you believe in any of the various religions of the world or not is not important, they're a part of our society and it is good to understand them, even if you don't believe in them.

Now, if your Religion Education class is little more than an informal Catholic mass then you have grounds to object. Be polite about it and drop in words like "diversity" and "tolerance" and they'd probably be willing to arrange something.

They don't do RE exams or anything, do they?

They do:eek:
    alright but even it is just a normal class she would talk about all that stuff could i get out

• Advertisement

The purpose of a religious education class is to teach you about religion. Like it or not, religion is a big part of the world, understanding it is important.

If we let students gain exemptions from classes because they found the material boring then I think the system would break down rather rapidly.

The purpose of a religious education class is to teach you about religion. Like it or not, religion is a big part of the world, understanding it is important.

If we let students gain exemptions from classes because they found the material boring then I think the system would break down rather rapidly.

its not that i find it boring. i find every class boring Ha
    but i just dont see it having any relevance in my life and it is a waste of time

Well you're wrong about that. When you're older maybe you'll understand why.

For now we're going to force you :D

Being a teenager sucks :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If you don't want to attend, you could talk (privately, calmly and politely ;)) to your teacher and explain that as you don't subscribe to such beliefs, you'd like to be excused from religion class. It might help if you parents supported you on this.

Of course, it's entirely down to the school - they'll have an ethos of some sort that you're basically agreeing to put up with by enrolling in the school.

Failing that, you could try finding a school that better accommodates your beliefs - but that's a pretty big step to take over something like this, IMHO.

Another thing you could do is view the religion class not as "instruction", but as "information". You don't have to believe it to find it interesting. You'll find that some of the posters here (while being atheists) know a lot about various religions and their theologies and beliefs. You could even speak up in class and question the information being put you you.

This is pretty much what I did going to school. I really enjoyed religion class, despite being a total non-believer. It also helped that for one year I had a Christian Brother teaching religion who was definitely not a theist. He didn't give too much away (he may have been deist, agnostic or atheist), but I remember one class - where I was the only one paying attention - were he explained each of Jesus' "miracles" in terms of the society and symbolism of the time and region. If the rest of the kids had been listening and went home and told their parents what he was saying, there would have been a lynch mob at the school looking for heathen blood.

alright unfortunately i couldn't just sit in listening to the teacher about that stuff..maybe its the teacher she has one of those really boring ways on talking that just makes you want to go to sleep:D
    well i will see what happeneds tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

but i just dont see it having any relevance in my life and it is a waste of time

I aways said the same thing about Irish class... still had to sit through it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Dont kick up a fuss without exhausting all your other options, great you're an atheist and all, but if you think arguing with teachers in front of a class will get you anywhere, you're (probably) wrong. Calmly ask the teacher, after class, would dropping the subject be in anyway possible.

I do agree that learning about religion is not really a bad thing. Many would say Irish has no relevance, so they dont want to learn it (I do not agree), I dont see the point in learning differentiation/complex numbers/etc if you have no intention of keeping up maths once you leave school, but does that mean you should be able to drop it? No......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

You are better off just going and keeping head down you will cause more trouble by saying you find it boring!!!

Believe me I had a NUN as my religion teacher she did not like been told her class was boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm an atheist, but I actually liked religion class. But if it's not your cup of tea, explain to the principal that you are an atheist and don't wish to partake in the class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Keep the head down, listen very carefully, learn all you can. Find their weakness and then strangle them with it when they least expect it. Know your enemy!!!! ;)

(figuratively speaking of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

OP, are you being thought mainly one religion?

Religious Studies, is a really interesting topic, imo, when I did it, I had one Gawd awful religious teacher for one year who definitely disagreed with me, but I loved the class because of that:).
    The other years were awesome, one of our teachers was a staunch theist, but he knew so much about stuff..I feel like I owe him alot. We discussed everything from buddhism, to Islam,Sophies World, Ying and Yang and loads of various other cultural things..it was quite simply awesome. Quite possibly my best educational experiences from school ever!
    Then I had another teacher who loved to argue that science couldn't explain stuff and was kinda eccentric in what she believed..fun debates:)

Stick to it, unless it's dogmatic of one religion as you may be surprised what you learn.:)
    If only to become an informed critic;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The purpose of a religious education class is to teach you about religion.
    Must have been diffr'nt where you were -- where I was, we learned religion as Truth (and look at how successful that was...) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

LilMan,

Alas you are in a weak position as if you attend a religious school you have to follow the curriculum. However you could take another approach and make it interesting for yourself. Use this forum too for it if you like.

Basically anything they teach, come here, discuss it with us, research it yourself too and write a counter argument / essay in your own time. Show up at each weeks class with this rebuttal and hand it out to the students.

You will come out of the class knowing a lot more about the world, the counter positions to the tripe the class was selling the students, and maybe you will liberate a few other student minds along the way.

If the teachers challenge you on your points it will force you to learn more, strengthen your arguments, or even learn the small, and admittedly rare points, where they are right about something and you were wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm relatively just out of secondary school (about four years now) and from the class I had, how religion is taught is not the same as it used to be. It's more a class about multiculturalism now rather than simply about having catholic doctrine driven into your head. As Zillah says, religion has a prominent part in society. It wouldn't hurt you to have a better understanding of what you up against so to speak.

Be polite about it

No offence man but my irony scale just went off the chart. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Do what I would have done if my school taught religion: Challenge at every turn!

Who knows, you might do some good and turn some of your classmates around to your way of thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I was very pleased to disvocer that my daughter's religious studies teacher is an atheist.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm fairly certain that religion is now an obligatory course, with a properly structured syllabus and examination at junior cert (though I'm not sure about leaving cert). So as far as I'm aware there's no way out of it. Sorry.

If it's any consolation, the version of religion you're doing - basically comparative religion - sounds a lot more interesting than our asinine meditation classes and long lectures on why abortion is evil.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

OP the only way out is a letter from your folks, I'd imagine.

Though by the sound of it I'm not sure you're quite ready to articulate your reasons to them. That RE is "boring" isn't likely to earn you green card to the library.

MrPudding wrote: »
    I was very pleased to disvocer that my daughter's religious studies teacher is an atheist.

MrP

How does that work?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    How does that work?

Well s/he's obviously the most impartial option. Imagine if you had a creationist teaching them!:eek:

Malty_T wrote: »
    Well s/he's obviously the most impartial option. Imagine if you had a creationist teaching them!:eek:

Debatable to be honest. What I mean is that just because this person is an atheist, that doesn't guarantee impartiality in how they deliver the subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Debatable to be honest. What I mean is that just because this person is an atheist, that doesn't guarantee impartiality in how they deliver the subject matter.
    So how would a theist teaching be more impartial?

As for the op, I did religion in secondary school and it was the best class. It wasn't taught as 'truth', it was taught as history and information. We had comfy chairs, didn't have to do anything, and I got to practice my debating skills to later help me in flame wars on forums.

You're being silly. Unless it's taught as 'truth', there's no real reason why you shouldn't do it. You could argue that some bits of history are boring, but you won't be exempt from doing it. Gods may not be real, but the events happening as a result of religion sure are (I can only think of negative ones right now, but that's all part of being a grumpy atheist).

Basically, suck it up and stop complaining.

It's fairer to knock all the religions than to side with one. Besides, if these folks can refute the atheist, then the atheist is making their faith stronger and helping to nurture them into devout religious folk:)

Wins all around..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Antbert wrote: »

You're either impartial or you're not. If they are impartial then it doesn't matter if they're a theist, atheist or vegetarian.

• Advertisement

I don't think that I suggested that a theist would be more impartial. You potentially have two extremes really, one being a theist determined to drive religious doctrine into students and the other being an atheist determined to portray religion as a cancer on society.

So I think it comes down to what kind of person the teacher is. Personally my religion teacher was a religious woman, however our class was more an exploration of multiculturalism than anything else. She respected her students right to make up their own minds without influencing them.

How does that work?
    Well, as she is not trying to indoctrinate the children in any particular religion she is capable of delivering a frank on honest explanation of all the religions the kids have to cover.
    An atheist, IMO, is far more like to deliver an impartial view of all religions than a theist is. A theist is obviously going to have a bias towards their particular religion and this is bound to have an effect on the teaching.

As an atheist has no religion they are unlikely to be biased towards one or other. This particular teacher is simply atheist, she is not an anti-theist. I had a really interesting chat with her and I genuinely believe she is giving a very balanced and informative view of the worlds religions, which is what religious studies should be. It is simply here is christianity this is what they believe, here is islam...

MrP

I don't think that I suggested that a theist would be more impartial. You potentially have two extremes really, one being a theist determined to drive religious doctrine into students and the other being an atheist determined to portray religion as a cancer on society.
    You are portraying and anti-theist rather than an atheist, I believe. This teacher is definitely not an anti-theist.
    So I think it comes down to what kind of person the teacher is. Personally my religion teacher was a religious woman, however our class was more an exploration of multiculturalism than anything else. She respected her students right to make up their own minds without influencing them.
    Agreed, to an extent. Bearing in mind that as a christian, for example, you have a requirement to attempt to pass on your belief to others. Quite a number of the regular christian poster has stated that this is the duty of a "proper" christian. Where does this leave impartiality in the classroom?

MrP

You are portraying and anti-theist rather than an atheist, I believe. This teacher is definitely not an anti-theist.

What would you describe yourself as out of interest?
    Agreed, to an extent. Bearing in mind that as a christian, for example, you have a requirement to attempt to pass on your belief to others. Quite a number of the regular christian poster has stated that this is the duty of a "proper" christian. Where does this leave impartiality in the classroom?

MrP

Well, it's a matter of what overrides what isn't it? I think in the classroom it is the duty of the teacher to present the subject material in an unbiased manner.

What would you describe yourself as out of interest?
    Anti-theist.

Well, it's a matter of what overrides what isn't it? I think in the classroom it is the duty of the teacher to present the subject material in an unbiased manner.
    Surely the teachers primary responsibility must be to their lord and saviour and the duties that come with that? We are talking about the persons eternal salvation here. Not only that but this person is likely to believe that the eternal salvation of all the pupils is also potentially in their hands. Believing this, how could any reasonable person not be biased?

MrP

Anti-theist.

I agree you are very much an anti-theist, and in turn, I guess I'll have to take your word for it and trust your judgement on your son's teacher..
    Surely the teachers primary responsibility must be to their lord and saviour and the duties that come with that? We are talking about the persons eternal salvation here.

One could still teach their class and ensure that they aren't ignoring their "duties" without resorting to underhanded tactics in attempting to influence people around to their line of thinking. Surely their god would be pissed that they tricked someone into believing by presenting a one sided argument.
    Not only that but this person is likely to believe that the eternal salvation of all the pupils is also potentially in their hands. Believing this, how could any reasonable person not be biased?

I would suspect that any teacher who took the same line in thinking as you are suggesting here would be well aware that it would be a one way ticket to the dole office.

• Advertisement

No offence man but my irony scale just went off the chart. :pac:

That's funny, I usually blow up people's sarcasm detectors.

Anyway, you'd be amazed how polite I can be when I have something to gain. That is to say, I reccommend that he be polite about it because of pragmatism, not a sense of social decorum :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Religion was one of my favourite classes in school, we had quite a young teacher (could be the difference?) and our classes were full of debates and informal discussion.

OP, it's just religion, you learn about many, it's not like you're being dragged to church, I think you should just suck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

As an atheist I totally agree that we should learn facts about each of the major religions, especially the prodominant religion in our society. However I was at a school run by the religous orders in the 90's. Only one brother taught in the school. I also had a young religion teacher who in third year showed us a picture of an aborted fetus. This imo is disgraceful propaganda. At the time I didn't understand it for what it was. Im a teacher now myself and I try not to impose my own belief's on the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I've been in religion classes since first year and am an atheist. Its grand, most of the time its topical debates. So can always argue why euthenasia isn't so bad etc. :D
    No harm in doing the class even if your an atheist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

That's funny, I usually blow up people's sarcasm detectors.

Anyway, you'd be amazed how polite I can be when I have something to gain. That is to say, I reccommend that he be polite about it because of pragmatism, not a sense of social decorum :)

Same thing, ultimately, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

its not that i find it boring. i find every class boring Ha

Algebra dosnt have any relevance in my life but I still had to learn it so stop bitching and get on with it. In the immortal words of Gil Grissom "It's good to know what you don't know"

Algebra dosnt have any relevance in my life

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Burn the heretic!

I agree you are very much an anti-theist, and in turn, I guess I'll have to take your word for it and trust your judgement on your son's teacher..
    Ah, you are making me blush.

One could still teach their class and ensure that they aren't ignoring their "duties" without resorting to underhanded tactics in attempting to influence people around to their line of thinking. Surely their god would be pissed that they tricked someone into believing by presenting a one sided argument.
    I never mentioned underhanded tactics…That said, did you see the documentary about the Alpha Course? The thing is, if you have a proper Christian teaching religious studies this person will genuinely believe that unless the children accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour they will spend an eternity in hell. How could a proper Christian not be biased when delivering their class?

I would suspect that any teacher who took the same line in thinking as you are suggesting here would be well aware that it would be a one way ticket to the dole office.
    It would not need to be outright and obvious, it could and most likely would be very subtle.

MrP

no no i dont want to get out of it because it is boring..(what class isnt). But i feel it doesn't have much relevance in my life, i dont believe any of it and as a atheist there is no god.(to me).
    There is a jehovah's withness in my class and he doesn't do religion??

no no i dont want to get out of it because it is boring..(what class isnt). But i feel it doesn't have much relevance in my life, i dont believe any of it and as a atheist there is no god.(to me).

At the times we're in today religion has more of a baring than ever. You need to understand it because you need to know who believe's what. If you don't know who believes what then you can't pick allies for really important issues such as the teachings of science, because rest assured the more science discovers, the more some religion get's eroded. There are some theories being developed today that people will deny based on their present worldviews. So you need to know who you can first present the evidence to and who is most likely to accept it and how you're going far you're willing to go to compromise. Sad, but that's the way life has become.

It looks like you've ignored every point here but anyway...

What does your class entail? To answer your original question, in my school you were allowed to not do religion. Of course I didn't pick that option though, because religion class was way more fun than sitting in silent study hall. So if you insist on taking this silly stand then just ask the headmaster and you'll be exempt.

Also, you should learn about religion so that you may argue well on forum debates.

Also, when I was in school we learned a bit about Ancient Greece and their gods etc. It was interesting. And obviously not taught as if it was the truth.

Who would you suggest as a religion teacher?

Who would you suggest as a religion teacher?

Didn't I pretty much answer you already on this?

Didn't I pretty much answer you already on this?
    If the purpose of the class is to teach children about all religions without bias then an atheist would seem like the obvious candidate.

If the purpose of the class is to indoctrinate the children into a particular cult, then a believer from that particular cult would be best.

If the purpose of the class is to ridicule all religions then an anti-theist would be the best option. I am not even sure anti-theist is a recognised term, but I think it is quite appropriate.

Several christian posters have told us that it is an absolute requirement of their belief to evangelise. I don’t see how a person who’s belief requires them to try to convert people to that belief can, or indeed should, be expected to teach children about other religions without bias.

Christians are supposed to be good and caring people, and for the most part I think this is true. So here they are teaching people about religions other than christianity, they know that christianity is the true religion and following other religions will cost you your soul, how could they not be biased in their teaching. They are standing in front of a class full of kids with their eternal souls in their hands. I don’t think that is particularly fair to expect a person to go against their beliefs like this.

The religious studies class is to teach children about religion. It is not to judge the merits of each or to give an opinion of which is correct. It seems quite obvious that a person that has nothing invested in any of them would be the best person to give an unbiased view of all of them.

MrP

i see what you are saying. it doesn't matter really if i dont want to do it but i need to understand all other religions aswel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement