Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bus service

Options
  • 05-10-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi folks, heading to galway next weekend by train. we are staying in salthill, just wondering if there is a public bus service from train station to salthill, or are we better off getting a taxi.

last time we were in galway (years ago) we went to a restaurant just across the road from the Quays, cant remember it, but it was fab. is that still there, or can anyone else recommend a nice restaurant not too expensive.

thanks for your replies.

ev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah there is a bus service. The stop is in eyre square in front of the bank near the enterence to Corbett Court.(I think it's bus number 7 or 7A). Have used it twice myself and it's not too bad...not a short spin by any means but certainly a lot cheaper than a taxi! Although if you have bags and that craic, it'll be more comfortable in a taxt, trust me!

Couldn't help ya with the restaurant though. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

You might have meant Ard Bia, or one of the previous incarnations in that spot (River God..too late to remember! :) ). Right next to Neachtains? If so it (Ard Bia) is moved down to Spanish Arch and a different Restaurant is in it's old spot. There are a few restaurants opp the Quays tho..could be any of them.

Staff at Rodeo are lovely, it is cheap(ish) and cheerful Tex Mex/Steak.
    Milanos (the chain) on Middle St is nice (Pizza/Pasta)
    Ard Bid good, but pricier.
    I like Tamarind too.
    Busker Brownes Menu not to be sniffed at - pub grub+
    Usually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

evie08 wrote: »
    Hi folks, heading to galway next weekend by train. we are staying in salthill, just wondering if there is a public bus service from train station to salthill, or are we better off getting a taxi.

The bus eireann bus #1 leaves the corner of eyre square just south of the Meyrick Hotel beside the AIB bank. It goes out to Salthill and back. Costs €1.60 a pop.

I think there is about 30 or 35 buses on this route each day

However, these buses are unreliable and youre better off getting a taxi if you have a schedule to keep

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

fairly off topic, but does anyone know if the eyre square - newcastle - rahoon bus follows the same route going into town as going out? ...as in, we went by the Westwood when I was on it today, then past Dunnes and the Hanley Oaks, exactly the route I don't want to have to walk tomorrow evening, except in reverse. If that makes sense? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bus services with maps etc
    www.galwaytransport.info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 evie08

Hi folks, thanks a mill for your replies, might try the no 1 bus for the craic, also milanos might be worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Magnus wrote: »
    Bus services with maps etc
    www.galwaytransport.info

hmmm... took a look there, brilliant site definitely, but the route I went yesterday didn't seem to be on it, up to the Westwood, then back down to roundabout at back of UCHG, over towards the Hanley Oaks, is this just a once off bus during the evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

As far as I know/remember the number 4 and 5 routes merge on Sundays

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202229971-Galway5Sun.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah, there is an odd route that some of the number 5's take..I remember it being evening, not sure if it was Sunday...went around the world a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup, evenings (after 7pm I think) and Sundays, 4W and 5W merge into 4x5W.

(Ditto for 2e and 4e, which turn into 2x4E)

I haven't yet managed to ride the merged route, so haven't tried to draw the map of where it goes.

Will do it as soon as I can. Or if anyone else can describe the route in detail, please do ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

The 2EX4E: usual Merlin Park route except instead of returning to town via the Dublin Road it cuts in at Dawn Dairies and takes the Lisbeg Lawn route from there on in. Comes out at the Duggan's traffic lights and back into town.

Advertisement