Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my chances of getting into medical school?

Options
  • 05-10-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Just want some peoples veiws on the situation I am in.

I am just finished a 4 year B.Sc HONS degree got a 2.1, and for the last few years it has always be bugging me that I should have done medicine. I got a good LC back in 2005 (500+ LC points) but I only did biology for LC. I got most of my points from 'points subjects' whereby the ability to memorise data is of most importance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭flerb22

if you can sit the GAMSAT you can get in with a 2.1 science degree

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

It doesn't have to be a science degree from what I've read. A 2.1 honours/level 8 degree in any discipline with GAMSAT is sufficient. From the RCSI website: http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=99&3nID=1439&pID=1439&nID=1427
    Applicants must have completed or expect to complete by the summer 2009 an honours degree (level 8) with a minimum grade second class honours (2.1).

The degree can be in any discipline and all applicants will be required to submit a current GAMSAT score.

And OP, have a read of some threads relating to GAMSAT, very useful information on this forum. Go for it I say, I work in marketing (god help me) but I'm planning to sit the GAMSAT next year. It just takes commitment to practicing the exam and studying.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055415394

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pleo

I have already sat the gamsat uk three weeks ago, only as a practice run fpr march, but I am sure I didnt get on great, I only did about three weeks revision which mainly comprised of organic chem for S3, S1 went ok though, but my essays for S2 weren't great and only a page and a half long. Would anyone here recommend GRADMED courses? Also how intense is GEM, I am just finished a Science degree and I was no means the top of the class, would I be able to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

There are three ways you could get in:

1)Traditional CAO route. You're obviously a sciency person so could sit the HPAT nad probably do very well. If you do a very good HPAT you could get in with your 500+ points

2)Graduate entry. As you've a science degree the GAMSAT shouldn't be too bad (the science part anyway) I suppose wait and see how you got on in the English GAMSAT.

3)Mature student. Honestly I'm not sure what the requirements are except that you must be over 23. I think it's up to the college who they take in. There are 15 mature students in my year and I think all of them have science degrees. They either didn't get a 2.1 in their degree or wanted to do 5 years instead of 6. I'd ring around the colleges and ask.

To maximise your chances of getting in I'd say try applying all three ways.

Piste wrote: »
    There are three ways you could get in:

1)Traditional CAO route. You're obviously a sciency person so could sit the HPAT nad probably do very well. If you do a very good HPAT you could get in with your 500+ points

Not an option as I dont meet the mastrication requirements for under-graduate entry (lack of a third language)
    2)Graduate entry. As you've a science degree the GAMSAT shouldn't be too bad (the science part anyway) I suppose wait and see how you got on in the English GAMSAT.

My main option, I did the gamsat uk with only three weeks prep so not expecting much, I really need to practice on my essay skills and physics and inorganic chem for march, but sure at least I have nothing else to do in the meantime.
    2)
    3)Mature student. Honestly I'm not sure what the requirements are except that you must be over 23. I think it's up to the college who they take in. There are 15 mature students in my year and I think all of them have science degrees. They either didn't get a 2.1 in their degree or wanted to do 5 years instead of 6. I'd ring around the colleges and ask.
    Hadn't really though about this option, but since I havent any work experience in a hospital setting apart from the laboratories I don't think I'd be that successful, but I should definately research this option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Pleo wrote: »
    Not an option as I dont meet the mastrication requirements for under-graduate entry (lack of a third language)

My main option, I did the gamsat uk with only three weeks prep so not expecting much, I really need to practice on my essay skills and physics and inorganic chem for march, but sure at least I have nothing else to do in the meantime.

Hadn't really though about this option, but since I havent any work experience in a hospital setting apart from the laboratories I don't think I'd be that successful, but I should definately research this option.
    You don't need a third language in Trinity, just english plus one other language. However you do need 2 lab sciences, one of which must be chemistry.

However, this all depends on your lc points. Your best bet would probably be the GEM programme if you have a 2.1 degree. GAMSAT is probably easier and more relevent than doing the LC again.

HQvhs wrote: »
    You don't need a third language in Trinity, just english plus one other language. However you do need 2 lab sciences, one of which must be chemistry.

Only had biology in my LC and I dont think I could do another lab science subject in the LC this year and present my LC from 2005 with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah you need to meet points and matriculation in the same year for medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Yeah you need to meet points and matriculation in the same year for medicine.
    Yep. Anyway, personally I'd focus on GAMSAT tbh. At the very least the experience with organic chemistry and the sciences will give you a far better grounding for actually doing medicine than repeating the LC.

In my opinion repeating the LC and doing the GAMSAT arent event comparable, if you work consistantly you should get the gamsat while working full-time aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement