Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broader discussion on grinds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Hillel wrote: »
    Thank you. It is refreshing to hear a working teacher acknowledge the very real problems that exist in the profession. Too many try to pretend that all is rosy, when it is patently clear that it is not.
    Are you serious? Teachers are as bad as farmers and environmentalists. Progress is made - their unions say more must be done. They need to take cutbacks - immediate strikes.

I am referring to classroom size by that. The problem with poor teachers is not acknowledged by the poor teachers themselves (why would one admit they're a poor teacher?) I have often heard of teachers complaining about poor ones in other schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Sorry, that was my fault. Thanks for starting the new thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

jumpguy wrote: »
    Are you serious? Teachers are as bad as farmers and environmentalists. Progress is made - their unions say more must be done. They need to take cutbacks - immediate strikes.

I am referring to classroom size by that. The problem with poor teachers is not acknowledged by the poor teachers themselves (why would one admit they're a poor teacher?) I have often heard of teachers complaining about poor ones in other schools.

Cmon, that's not fair comment. There has been open and honest debate on this thread. Let's not turn it into another teacher-bashing one.
    Teaching is an honorable and extremely important profession. All I'm trying to do is bring a different perspective to the issue. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 electriks

Yeah, some teachers are appaling and lazy but firstly, grinds aren't entirely necessary for most subjects, students can teach themselves most subject just by putting in a bit of effort. By doing all exam questions in the exam papers you can get yourself at least a B3 in honours.

Generally though, it's the laziness of students that account for the (well frankly, low) standards in Irish education.
    I'm repeating this year.
    For fifth and sixth year as in 2009, I slept through maths (honours) or talked or listened to music with my friend. Failed the Christmas test, failed the 2 maths pre's the teacher got for us and didn't even know how many questions were on the paper a month before the leaving.
    Honest to God-i'm even making it sound better than it was...dossing classes and..... etc.

In that month he (the teacher) brought us in on a bank holiday and 2 full saturdays, stayed after school a few days a week and took no lunch break for a month to help us (most of "the messers" had dropped down except one or two besides me and others just needed extra help)

He got me a C1 in hounours in that month. Same teacher got me a B3 in chem and i was much the same way with that subject.

Same story with physics except that was outright dossing. This teacher neva even reported it if i didn't turn up.
    Started doing physics for two hours a day 2 weeks before the leaving.... got me an A2.

NO CHARGE for any of it incase anyone's wondering.

Seriously Teachers are generally very dedicated!!!!
    That is why the majority become teachers...to help.
    Blame the students....honestly we're a bunch of lazy *****!!

Or maybe there's no incentive to work. Personally, i never realised until after all of it that i would be outa there some day and thats what you work towards... I guess it's just a case of "young head...old shoulders..."????:p:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

electriks wrote: »
    Yeah, some teachers are appaling and lazy but firstly, grinds aren't entirely necessary for most subjects, students can teach themselves most subject just by putting in a bit of effort.
    I've always thought it was strange that people got grinds in certain subjects,
    I can understand getting them for say maths and languages, but most of the time all the information you need is in the books and it's just a matter of learning it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I am currently getting grinds for Irish.... The majority of my friends are getting grinds to help them to push to a B1 or maybe an A. I get grinds in Irish because I want to get a B. Without grinds I would get a C.
    I don't get grinds because my teacher is a bad one, its just more beneficial to study with a grinds teacher than on your own, and ts easier to ask them questions too, as in class there are always scumbags who think people who want to learn should be laughed at. Its not the schools fault. Most teachers seem to spend about half the class giving out to a select few people and as a result the rest of the class suffer.

Advertisement