Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter turn out rug

• 05-10-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have perused this forum for a while and can see the vast experience here and thought I could tap it.

I have a horse that will be out from Aug - March but may be stabled for the worst of winter. Thoroughbred, 4 year old lively mare.

Can someone please give me the benefit of their experience and recommend
    a good, durable and secure winter rug and source to purchase from.

Thanks,
    MAJJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

A Rambo Wug from Horseware Ireland: http://www.horseware.com/turnouts/rambo/turnoutswug.asp

We've been using these rugs for about 10 years now, having used a wide variety prior to that and I wouldn't dream of using anything else now. They are incredibly durable (we've a rug shredder who finally met his match with this), have great depth, barely move, even on the pony who rolls and rolls, easy to straighten, don't rub, great warmth, easy to clean, waterproofing is brilliant, last forever (think we still have our very first 10 year+ one as a spare rug)... They allow my 3/4 bred, not such a good doer, mare to winter out with no stabling.

And just to be clear, I have no connections with Horseware, I just think this is probably the best equestrian product I have ever used!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

If it is a good stable rug you are looking for I have used this rug:

http://www.holmesteadsaddlery.com/product.php?passsubcatid=310&maincatid=37&maincat=# (first one on the list)

on my mare for most of the wintertime, for turnout rug I will have to second on the rambo rug, or even a new zealand rug, both seem to be quite durable, very hard to rip and to tear and often keep the horse nice and warm, especially in those very cold winter days.

With the hippo rug that I have given you a link to, is quite popular, and very economic in price, I swear by it to be honest, my mare has even been turned out in it (not by me, someone did it for me, wasn't too impressed!) and it didn't rip, although it is NOT a turnout rug.

Horseware ireland do a lot of nice rugs as well, as I don't turn out my mare, I'm not too informed about winter turnout rugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Folks,

Thanks you both for the reponses, it kind of confirmed what I was thinking too re: Rambo being the way to go and worth the premium.

Cheers,
    MAJJ

Hi Folks,

Back to tap you again for more info. Am looking at this rug,

http://www.saddlery.biz/pp/Horse_Rugs/Turnout_Rugs/Rambo_Supreme_Turnout.html

What weight Rambo would you advise me to go for - medium or heavy?

The horse will likely be brought in for the worst weather, also when out has natural shelter. I reckon if too cold we can add another layer but if too warm then we are stuck.

Thanks,
    MAJJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

If you're able to bring your horse in during the worst of the weather, and if there's decent shelter in the field, then maybe the medium one would be best as you could use it when the weather starts to get milder. And as you say, you could always put a second rug on under the turn out rug if it got really cold. Only draw back with that is that the rugs are more inclined to move if there's more than one, so you may have to check them much more frequently and use a sursingle, too.

• Advertisement

I thought so too, that's great advice on the sursingle.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JustMe1982

Go on the horsewear website and call them. They do seconds! I just go a rambo heavy weight with 90 off and i can see nothing wrong with it at all other than a hanging thread

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Do you think you need the supreme if you are going to be bringing her in for the worst of the winter? The neck piece (actually, have had some rubbing from those, just a warning) seems to be the only difference but it is £40 dearer than the Wug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 smudge09

Anyone had any experience with these rugs - I like the concept of a rug wihc can take 3, if not 4 seasons in a day, especially if you are away during the day. They are not cheap however - too expensive to "experiment", hence feedback would be good. It would be used on ISH.

I did just that and they are to call me back on Monday.

I didn't know they had a factory shop! Factory closes at 1pm on a Friday hence the call back on Monday.

Thanks very much,
    MAJJ
    JustMe1982 wrote: »
    Go on the horsewear website and call them. They do seconds! I just go a rambo heavy weight with 90 off and i can see nothing wrong with it at all other than a hanging thread

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd feedback here for others. Got a Rambo sumpreme medium from Old Mill Saddelry in NI.

http://www.saddlery.biz/pp/Horse_Rugs/Turnout_Rugs/Rambo_Supreme_Turnout.html

Got in delivered, shipped direct from Horseware, for 205GBP. Horseware themselves were looking for 330EUR + 14 EUR delivery.

Haven't used it yet but am very happy with the service and prices from Old Mill.

Also, dissapointed but not surprised that Irish companies are still trying to overcharge consumers.

Cheers,
    Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Thanks for the heads up - didn't think there'd be that much different in the costs between here and the North.... And it was the exact same rug? That's a huge difference.

Hi Convert,

Yes exact same rug. I checked this upfront as didn't want a false economy!

I was actually coming back to my thread to add some additions as I may have been a little harsh. Old Mill have the rug reduced from 252 -> 199 STG and there is all the fluctuating currency to consider.

Cheers,
    MAJJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Are they good?

There an offer of two rugs for €100.
    Worth getting??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

convert wrote: »
    If you're able to bring your horse in during the worst of the weather, and if there's decent shelter in the field, then maybe the medium one would be best as you could use it when the weather starts to get milder. And as you say, you could always put a second rug on under the turn out rug if it got really cold. Only draw back with that is that the rugs are more inclined to move if there's more than one, so you may have to check them much more frequently and use a sursingle, too.

If you get the horseware under-rugs then they attach to the fillet string loops at the rear of the rug - no slippage!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I have perused this forum for a while and can see the vast experience here and thought I could tap it.

I have a horse that will be out from Aug - March but may be stabled for the worst of winter. Thoroughbred, 4 year old lively mare.

Can someone please give me the benefit of their experience and recommend
    a good, durable and secure winter rug and source to purchase from.

Thanks,
    MAJJ
    Just joined and saw your enquiry...have two mad monsters of my own (anglo-arab with high withers and 12.2hh pony!) and over the years was a total rambo fan but came accross the Masta rug and i wouldnt swap the rugs for anything - they fit to perfection and more than do their job....got a guy in the uk who i buy from and i recommend to friends who is great with sizes and postage and vquick delivery......recently got a full neck, heavy turnout size 6ft that cost only (with conversion and postage) €79.98 and the same rug was in my local saddlers for almost €200......anyone who wants the website pm me, i fully recommend the MASTA turnout!
    Thanks

I don't usually drag up old threads. I started this with a question and thought after a long hard winter I'd post up to say the Rambo rug was excellent and survived intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sage4me

Hiya,

I use Celtic Equine Rugs.. never had a problem - very durable - Their bridles are good too ..

Here is a link to the shops they sell into as I don't know where you are :

http://www.celticequine.net/findretailer.html

Rgds

Caroline

Advertisement