Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big and strong simple as..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Doesn't help in the slightest.

You should curl more and squat less.

true - squats benefit the whole body rather then just the arms but curling is an isolation exercise that only does biceps etc.

to build up the arms, you could try chin ups / pull ups / bench etc , the most important thing is that you do extra every single time you go to the gym. if you squat 100 kg and do 3 x8 sets on a tuesday night, if you do the same thing on thursday then its a waste of time. up the weight the next time or up the number of reps, its as simple as that.

if your dying doing an exercise, dont up the weight just do an extra rep but once you get to 8 reps, up the weight regardless. dont be afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Is 8reps recommended for increasing genetics aswell? I was taking this stuff to improve my genetics, but maybe I should squat.

Is 8reps recommended for increasing genetics aswell? I was taking this stuff to improve my genetics, but maybe I should squat.

increase genetics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

*sits back from own log and gets popcorn..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

mickman wrote: »
    increase genetics?

Ya, I dropped a plate on on my foot last week, I went to a PT and he said I bruised my hypertrophy. He recommend strengthening my genes but I dont know how... :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You need to get your genetics tested. The Irish Strength Institute can do that:

"ISI Genetic Testing: ISI Coach Eoin Lacey has just finished his training in genetic testing for weight management. From the 1st of March ISI clients will be able to test their specific genotypes to pinpoint optimal nutritional macronutrient relationship to maximize weight loss and muscular hypertrophy. These tests will be available only in conjunction with 1:1 initial consultations followed by an additional test result/interpretation sessions. ISI Setting, Hitting and Surpassing Your Health Goals!"

seems a bit crazy just cos you injured your foot

sarcasm :

When one says something, but usually means the opposite.
    Used sometimes in order to belittle someone and make them seem retarded... or equally to amuse and impress them with your mind. Indeed.

Betty: June hi! how are you today?
    June: Menstral cycle - it's like I got a fire and ice show going off in my lower regions. It's fantastic.
    Betty: Owh, doesn't sound it!
    June: Umm... sarcasm?
    Betty: No I'm not being sarcastic, it really doesn't sound it!
    June: *slaps head*

didnt train today..:(manflu,ear infection,vaginitus..etc.

Ima gonna try and do something functional tomorrow to get my modal domainz up.

This guy kills it.

Working on my functionality-ness.with rugby friend in beefcake gym..

Trap bar dead lift.-what does a trap bar weigh 20kg?
    bar + 80kgx4
    Bar + 110kgx3-with chalk..makes some difference.

barbell press-10 reps with 50kg.

BTN push press
    50kgx5,5,5
    60kgx5.
    70kgx1,1.think thats a pr.should have gone for a few more singles but not enough time.

db bench
    26kg bellsx5,4,3.

WOLFE pulldowns
    plate 50 x 15
    plate 60 x 12

machine flyes
    25 reps with a light weight for da pumpz.

Good craic.Saw a lad doing around 110kg on military presses on the smith machine for reps..some beast.

The btn pushpress's are magic.great laugh.

I may concentrate a bit more on upper back and rear delts.I'm all front delt and fcuk all side or rear.Its gonna get me injured in the long run.

• Advertisement

cg bench
    40kgx5
    60kgx5
    80kgx0:confused:
    70kgx3.

db bench
    22.5kg bellsx10,10.

seated rows
    60x15
    90x15,15,15.

db powercleans
    5kgbellsx15
    6kgbellsx15,15,15.

russian twists
    10kg plate x 15,15,15,15.

Since my strength is kinda stagnating and Im not gaining muvh from week to week Im going to start logging my food to keep me more accountable and see if there is anything major Im doing wrong.so...

7:30- 1pancake with maple syrup and a glass of milk.

10:00- a Pint of milk

1:00- a pint of milk

2:20- Chicken kiev in between two slices of bread with mayo and butter with
    a bottle of water.

4:00- Picnic bar.

6:00-2 hotdogs with ketchup and mustard with 2 plain buns.2 glasses of coke.6 potatoes.3 fish oil caps.3 glucosamine caps.

8:00- Big Meat stew with potatoes.

9:00-Pears and cream.

12:30-A glass of milk

Remmy wrote: »
    Since my strength is kinda stagnating and Im not gaining muvh from week to week Im going to start logging my food to keep me more accountable and see if there is anything major Im doing wrong.so...

a bottle of water.

your not eating anywhere near enough man

your not eating anywhere near enough man

Thanks for the input.That wasnt meant sarcastically btw.Thats half the day.I usually eat alot more when I get home from college.Its also the first day in over a year I have had breakfast:o.

I also notice there's fcuk all protein in there.Roughly how many calories would that be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

a bottle of water.

You're getting almost no food from 7.30 amd until 2.20..three glasses of milk and a pancake is nowhere near enough even for one meal.

You need to be taking in lots of fuel,especially at breakfast when your body is crying out for nutrients.

At 7.30 am get some porridge down you and make an omelette and have a glass of milk as well.

At 11 am Have a chicken breast and some potatoes

At 2pm have some meat (maybe a homemade burger) at least 1/3 lb.

At 5pm have another chicken breast and more potatoes.

At 8pm have more meat and rice or pasta

At 11.30pm have a meal of chicken or tuna and veg.

A lot of food,yes? Thats what you should be eating or as near to it as you can..if you dont have time for all teh cooking you can use protein shakes throughout the day but you must eat more!

Thanks for the input.That wasnt meant sarcastically btw.Thats half the day.I usually eat alot more when I get home from college.Its also the first day in over a year I have had breakfast:o.

I also notice there's fcuk all protein in there.Roughly how many calories would that be?

no idea. do the research on how many calories in there, ur the student with plenty of time on ur hands, dont expect it all done for you!

Degsy wrote: »
    You're getting almost no food from 7.30 amd until 2.20..three glasses of milk and a pancake is nowhere near enough even for one meal.

You need to be taking in lots of fuel,especially at breakfast when your body is crying out for nutrients.

At 7.30 am get some porridge down you and make an omelette and have a glass of milk as well.

At 11 am Have a chicken breast and some potatoes

At 2pm have some meat (maybe a homemade burger) at least 1/3 lb.

At 5pm have another chicken breast and more potatoes.

At 8pm have more meat and rice or pasta

At 11.30pm have a meal of chicken or tuna and veg.

A lot of food,yes? Thats what you should be eating or as near to it as you can..if you dont have time for all teh cooking you can use protein shakes throughout the day but you must eat more!

Thanks for the advice Degsy.I thought my diet was ok but when Its actually written down it actually is shocking alright.I would eat a good bit more from 6pm-12pm but sure Im playing catchup if I dont get the majority of my daily cals in beforehand.

no idea. do the research on how many calories in there, ur the student with plenty of time on ur hands, dont expect it all done for you!

Ha fair point.I think there is a calorie calculator thing online I'll hit that up when I'm done eating for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Ha fair point.I think there is a calorie calculator thing online I'll hit that up when I'm done eating for the day.

www.fitday.com is very good to calculate calories, carbs, fats and protein.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Thanks for the advice Degsy.I thought my diet was ok but when Its actually written down it actually is shocking alright.I would eat a good bit more from 6pm-12pm but sure Im playing catchup if I dont get the majority of my daily cals in beforehand.

You need to be shovelling down food ALL day..every three hours or so is suposed to be the best interval between meals.
    You'd never get bigger or stronger on your diet..more effort needs more grub,simple as!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Quickly perusing through your log, I'm where you were at, I have limited equipment and getting frustrated but can't let it stop me.

I'm trying to eat every 3 hours myself. Was doing ok but it is a lot of food to remember. I'm not sure if I'm eating enough either during the day. It's just having a schedule, sticking to it and making sure you have food with you and/or easy access to food. Nuts are great portable, nutrient dense foods too.

howtomake wrote: »
    Quickly perusing through your log, I'm where you were at, I have limited equipment and getting frustrated but can't let it stop me.

I'm trying to eat every 3 hours myself. Was doing ok but it is a lot of food to remember. I'm not sure if I'm eating enough either during the day. It's just having a schedule, sticking to it and making sure you have food with you and/or easy access to food. Nuts are great portable, nutrient dense foods too.

Yeah my natural tendency would be to have 2 really big meals during the day but I'm starting to realize that that not giving me nowhere enough calories that I need so I may change it up.Thanks for the food suggestion I'll try and eat more of them.

Talk about luck.I got food poisoning over the weekend which laid me out the past few days in agony.I kept throwing up and couldn't keep much food down aside from some tea and toast.With that in mind my weight went down a bit and I'm now 189 pounds.I'll throw up a picture tonight as a starting point after a week 'carb depleted' lolz.

So with that in mind and hearing some of the starting strength testimonials I'm gonna start that Monday and keep going until my lifts stall.

My lifts are something like this:

bench:75kgx3-ages back.
    deadlift 150kgx2.
    squat 100kgx5
    zercher squat 90kgx5.
    press 50kgx5.

A before picture incase I do something awesome in the next couple of months.6:1 and 193 pounds :o06072008362.jpg

scaled back all my lifts today so I can talk a running jump through my plateus.

zercher squat
    40kgx5
    60kg 3x5

bench press-no arch or leg drive just big chest.
    40kgx5
    60kg 3x5

deadlift-played around with my tech a bit.Im standing too far away to the bar and not getting my hips down so I tried to address this.

60kgx5
    100kgx5

Really trying to horse in the food to make sure none of my lifts stall.Im aiming to feel stuffed all through the day.weight is 197.3 pounds 3 days after recovering from the food food poisoning so hopefully I can keep driving it up.:)

Squat
    40kgx5
    60kg 3x5

press
    40kg 3x5

clean
    40kgx3
    50kg 5x3

a crapload of powercleans and powersnatches with 40kg working on my form.I think I did 30 reps for each lift.

Im changing routines like a proverbial sh'tstorm but Im doing a basic split now that I actually kinda figured out how I need to eat and why I kept stalling.Im gonna crack on with this for the next 6 weeks with no breaks from illness hopefully .Im shooting for 220 gram of protein a day along with the other stuff.Im not there yet..

ok so today 28th feb.

barx20
    40kgx10
    60kgx7x5x6.
    50kgx10

incline db bench
    20kg bellsx10,8,6.

machine press x just some lightish weight with lots of reps.

Diet
    hotcross bun with lots of butter
    half gallon of milk
    half a tub of peanut butter on two 4 slices of white bread
    big bowl of porridge with about 3 table spoons of maple syrup
    4 fish oil caps
    big steak with onions 2 slices of white bread and peppers
    3 glasses of milk

Im changing routines like a proverbial sh'tstorm but Im doing a basic split now that I actually kinda figured out how I need to eat and why I kept stalling.Im gonna crack on with this for the next 6 weeks with no breaks from illness hopefully .Im shooting for 220 gram of protein a day along with the other stuff.Im not there yet..

ok so today 28th feb.

barx20
    40kgx10
    60kgx7x5x6.
    50kgx10

incline db bench
    20kg bellsx10,8,6.

machine press x just some lightish weight with lots of reps.

Diet
    hotcross bun with lots of butter
    half gallon of milk
    half a tub of peanut butter on two 4 slices of white bread
    big bowl of porridge with about 3 table spoons of maple syrup
    4 fish oil caps
    big steak with onions 2 slices of white bread and peppers
    3 glasses of milk

remmy - you are making this way more complicated than it actually is. its really very simple. i have been making very good gains over past 6 weeks , even girlfriend was saying how big my shoulders have gotten

1. stop changing programs
    2. doing too many reps
    3. not doing hte correct exercises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

And don't forget to eat your veggies! I think I have to go on a "daily-servings-of-veggies" patrol on this forum, but I guess before I start preaching better put up my own diet :P

Advertisement