Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going back to through cao???

Options
  • 05-10-2009 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

hi everyone, i was just wondering i am in 1st year in college at the moment and im not happy in my course would i be able to go back and apply through the cao again in February while still being in my current course? any other info on this subject would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

No, while you could re apply to the CAO, it is not necessary. Tell the College you are in that you are not happy and request a transfer to another course or get them to set the wheels in motion for a transfer to another college. Don't leave it too late because if you drop out after christmas you will have to pay fees next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

ok thanks but i was going to go back and apply through access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 electriks

Ya u could do that but be careful because there are so many appling to access compared to before that they're making it a lot harder to get the grant. A load in my year last year applied and should have got it as some had 2 parents out of work and had medical cards........that alone should have been enough to get it........
    Nobody got it because our school lost it's status of being eligible.:mad:

Yes you actually have until late July to apply to the CAO if you are a current third level student. If you are certain you want to do a different course next year I would advise you to withdraw from your course immediately. Under the current free fees scheme, if you leave it until after October 31st to withdraw, you will be liable to pay half tuition fees for the first year of your new course, and any later than January 31st, you will be liable to pay full tuition fees. But who knows what might happen if fees are re-introduced next September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

ok thanks everyone, i was thinking about leaving my current course roberrt but im afraid without college to go to that i will get lazy and end up not going back next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 thannever

This is far too important a decision to take lightly.

Go to see the student advisors and explain your situation. It is a very common phenomenon. They are well qualified to address your concerns and point you in the right direction. Why don't you like your course? Do you know what you want to do instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aisk

hi im also in first year doing a four year course and i am thinking about reapplying to the cao because i need to be closer to home for family reasons.i have looked getting a transfer into second year in the other college but that wont be possible. my only option is to reapply and first year again in the other college. have a wasted a year of my life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bloodmager

aisk wrote: »
    hi im also in first year doing a four year course and i am thinking about reapplying to the cao because i need to be closer to home for family reasons.i have looked getting a transfer into second year in the other college but that wont be possible. my only option is to reapply and first year again in the other college. have a wasted a year of my life?

You can't say that You have wasted a year. First, you have learnt something from the course you are doing. Second, you have had experienced college life. Third, you know what you want to be after you've graduated.

I'm in the same situation here, but I am even worser than you....I'm doing a course which I don't like it in UCD and I want to do Physio....but I don't have enough points and I have to repeat my leavin cert....If I drop now,I only have 5 months to study for the leavin.

Advertisement