Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calling all taxi/hackey drivers, your help please

• 06-10-2009 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hey guys/gals.

Just looking for a little help in my virgin attempt at becoming a hackey driver.

Hers the few Q's i have :

1. What exactly do i need to do to get a licence?
    2. How much will insurance cost?
    3. Whats the story with paying tax? To do it properly that is.
    4. Pitfalls to avoid?

Background info :

I'm 25, male. Full Irish Licence 4 years, 1 years no claim in my own name, 3 years driving as named driver (the other years driving were not complete years as i changed companies, cars etc etc)
    No penalty points at all.
    Car is (at the moment) a 2.0 petrol 2003 BMW 318 (leather interior cream :o )
    Living in rural ireland with 2 small-medium towns either side of me and a lot of small villages etc all around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm out of work now. I'm a qualified plumber, have been in sales also, so driving is not a problem. But cash is unfortunatly, so this is my plan, become a hackney driver and hopefully ease my woes some bit. Pro active at least! Might not be the best idea in the world, but it wont cost me (i hope) an arm and a leg to get started.

Heres hoping for a posotive response!

Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi brian

I can only comment on the insurance side of things as I'm a taxi driver for your details you would be lucky to get away with 3 k best thing to do is make a few calls. You do have the added benefit of been able to ring a broker. If not u will be robbed from Quinn on your first year
    I would seriously consider a diesel if that's possible as 2litre will eat into your profit.
    Tax wise totally depends on your earnings. All taxi drivers are going threw there end if year right now. You can use ros but if your not sure about that an accountant will cost 300 before you even start. If I can remember you don't pay your first year tax until the 2 nd year with a provision for the year after.
    You can bang if an email to the taxireg on her site and they will tell u everything within a day.
    Hope that helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kajo

I can't see you as a new driver making money as a hack... if taxi drivers are not making i doubt you will.
    I see 2 big problems for you (1) getting the driving licence and (2) finding customers.
    Petrol cars are out running cost will kill you before you get going.
    I think you should try rent a hack or taxi before you get in 2 deep.
    No 1 problem is the licence only 1 in a hundred are passing the new test... proves how stupid the old one was.
    With the old test you could buy the questions and the answers from the ads in the papers and without knowing anything.

Just something to keep in mind and its important... you will not get the dole so easy if you dont make the grade as a hack or taxi driver.
    You will never get your normal car insurance at the price it was before after you say you were a taxi or a hack driver.
    Keep in mind you may be out working/ looking for work for many hours but only get paid if you have a customer in the car (try explain that to the wife).
    This will cause you many problems! Think Hard and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 briansmurph

Quick update (and thanks for feedback)

Got quoted today for insurance, Quinn Direct : 2510

Considering my current insurance is 1300 im not too put off by it.

However, you mentioned i will never get insurance the same way as i do now due to previously being a taxi? Why is that?

RE: Test. Do hackey drivers have to pass a test to do hackney in rural ireland?????? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Quick update (and thanks for feedback)

Got quoted today for insurance, Quinn Direct : 2510

Considering my current insurance is 1300 im not too put off by it.

However, you mentioned i will never get insurance the same way as i do now due to previously being a taxi? Why is that?

RE: Test. Do hackey drivers have to pass a test to do hackney in rural ireland?????? :o

Insurance companies may not honour your time as a commercial driver and revert you back to being a new driver without a NCB.

And yes, you must have passed a PSV test to work as a "Hackney" driver; your insurance company will require a copy of your PSV licence before your policy becomes live.

Advertisement