Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why i dont shop at gamestop

• 06-10-2009 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

so we all know gamestop are robbers

So I emailed looking for trade in prices for my stuff as i had a lot I didnt want to bring it all in.

Hey Sean,
    (These prices may change)

xbox 360 arcade, hdmi model. - (75 credit/65 cash)
    4 controllers. - (8 credit/6 cash each)
    60GB hard drive. - (30 credit/25 cash)
    xbox 360 communicator keypad - (12 credit/8 cash)

Command and conquer 3 tiberium wars - (2.80credit/1.80 cash)
    Grand Theft Auto 4 - (7 credit/6 cash)
    Burnout paradise ultimate box - (8 credit/7 cash)
    Call of duty 4 - (20 credit/16 cash)
    Skate 2 - (15 credit/12 cash)
    Mirrors Edge - (2 credit/1 cash)
    Halo 3 - (4 credit/3 cash)
    Mercenaries 2 - (5 credit/4 cash)
    Project gotham 3 - (1 credit/.30 cash)
    Perfect Dark Zero - (1 credit/.10 cash)
    Madden 08 - (6 credit/4 cash)
    Street fighter 4 - (10 credit/7.50 cash)
    The Godfather - (5 credit/4 cash)
    Splinter cell double agent - (2.50 credit/1.50 cash)
    civilization revolution - (11 credit/8 cash)
    Saints Row - (7 credit/5 cash)
    Project Gotham 4 - (1 credit/.30 cash)
    XBLA unplugged (.30 credit/.20 cash)
    xbox live arcade compilation disc bundled with console - Sealed (couldnt find on system)

Total: 233.60 credit/179.70 cash

Regards,
    Jamie

now whilst some prices for the hardware (except the controllers) are decent the software prices are utter ****e and lolworthy. then they have the cheek to quote this

Well i dont know why you would go to ps3 , xbox has some good games coming out on it, but its your choice.
    There's a few types of ps3 consoles,
    There's the 40gb , 60gb (plays most ps2 games) and the 80gb.
    Then there's the slim ps3's they come with 120gb and 250gb.

40gb - 299.99 new/259.99 used.
    60gb - 299.99 new/269.99 used. (dont make em anymore)
    80gb - 299.99 new/279.99 used.
    120gb - 299.99 new/269.99 used.
    250gb - 349.99 new/299.99 used.

We have a few deals on in store at the moment , it would be best to come in and check em out cause they do change weekly.
    If you have anymore questions i'd be happy to answer them for you :)

Regards,
    Jamie

now how in ****s name does a console with a good few accessories and about 20 games not even get me a used console, madness altogether :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Sell em on ebay buddy, they offered me a euro yes 1 poxy euro for sonic superstar tennis, sold it on for a fiver on geebay, not exactly a huge increase of money but i'd rather they didn't sell it on for 20 squid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Gamestop have never been known for decent trade ins outside of their "2 games for a brand new release" thingy that they do from time to time and even that has it's limitations.

Most of your games apart from Mirrors Edge, Street Fighter 4 and Skate 2 are old, you're not going to get much for them anywhere tbh.

You'll make double what they're offering your hardware on www.adverts.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

have u tried gamesnash's list of trade in values? found their prices slightly better when i was looking to trade stuff last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

This kills me, they will put it on the shelf for 44 at the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Its a rip off alright in there.I find smiths or xtravision are better on the trade ins.
    On a different note I tried trading in a few dvds in a gamestop a while back, got offered 2 euro's for the complete x files collection which I paid 250 for at the time it came out, lol.In fairness to the lad working there though he told me before even he checked that they were terrible on the trade ins.(obvioussly didn't trade in in the end)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

I only ever trade in gamestop if they have a 30euro deal on. Other than that ive found them to give the worst trade in and are the most expensive to buy in. Going to xtravision usually saves me over 10 euro per game.

But in regard to the old games its very unlikely that they will ever sell a good few of those games so its a balancing act. they have to make a load from COD4 cos they will loose money on most of the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Say they buy cod4 off someone for €10 and sell it for €40 how much do they actually get out of the leftover €30? Is there tax involved?

In fairness theyre only tring to run a business theres no point in paying top dollar for games they they have loads in stock that they probably wont sell (pgr3, perfect dark zero etc).

Is there anywhere that gives better value trade ins?

You would make way more selling them yourself on ebay or adverts.ie etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Smyths used to be very good with their 2 for 1 deal. but i have found that they are amoung the worst now, and Game who used to be the worst are about the best.

Xtravision have allways been good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Game are pretty good on trade ins, most newish (within the last month) will nab ya 25bucks which is nice.

I traded in mass effect a month or two ago to gamestop, it was my second time ownnig it and 20something play through so wanted rid of it before I loose anymore time into the time vampire that it is... wanna know how much gamestop gave me for it.......€1.80 lol lol lol I traded it in for the sheer novelty of it!

In hindsight I should have just turned to the customer beside me and say "hey buddy , play mass effect yet? ... here".
    I thought it was so funny I had to do it. Poor people working there must feel like crap having to offer trade in values that wouldnt buy you a box of cereal though. Its not thier fault its all a standardised list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gamestop are by far the worst of the big chain game shops. GAME, Xtra-Vision, HMV and Smyths are routinely €5 to €10 cheaper on new games and offer more/charge less for pre-owned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

Sigh. We get dreadful trade in payouts and the video game developers themselves get even less. Nothing in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

hightower1 wrote: »
    In hindsight I should have just turned to the customer beside me and say "hey buddy , play mass effect yet? ... here".
    I thought it was so funny I had to do it.

Be careful with that, I was asked to leave Gamestop in Henry Street when the guy in front of me was offered €44 for three Xbox 360 games and two PSP games. I offered him €60 there and then, he accepted and we were both thrown out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think you could really make a packed by setting up a little stand outside the stores who rip shoppers off with their trade in deals, and start one up of your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Simeadrach

Used to work inna gameshop meself, and its the worst thing in the whole job seeing a really low price come up on the till and then have to keep a positive spin on things while ye know the customers getting ripped.

But in defence of the shops the reason that they offer so little, generally, is because there is too much of that particular title in circulation and it aint sellin, generally :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

10c for Perfect Dark, a ha....they'll sell it for, at the very least, 4.99. Fifty times more then what they offered you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Can you email your list to the other shops aswell to see what they offer? It would be interesting to see who comes out better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

weeder wrote: »
    so we all know gamestop are robbers

So I emailed looking for trade in prices for my stuff as i had a lot I didnt want to bring it all in.

Hey Sean,
    (These prices may change)

xbox 360 arcade, hdmi model. - (75 credit/65 cash)
    4 controllers. - (8 credit/6 cash each)
    60GB hard drive. - (30 credit/25 cash)
    xbox 360 communicator keypad - (12 credit/8 cash)

Command and conquer 3 tiberium wars - (2.80credit/1.80 cash)
    Grand Theft Auto 4 - (7 credit/6 cash)
    Burnout paradise ultimate box - (8 credit/7 cash)
    Skate 2 - (15 credit/12 cash)
    Mirrors Edge - (2 credit/1 cash)
    Halo 3 - (4 credit/3 cash)
    Mercenaries 2 - (5 credit/4 cash)
    Project gotham 3 - (1 credit/.30 cash)
    Perfect Dark Zero - (1 credit/.10 cash)
    Madden 08 - (6 credit/4 cash)
    Street fighter 4 - (10 credit/7.50 cash)
    The Godfather - (5 credit/4 cash)
    Splinter cell double agent - (2.50 credit/1.50 cash)
    civilization revolution - (11 credit/8 cash)
    Saints Row - (7 credit/5 cash)
    Project Gotham 4 - (1 credit/.30 cash)
    XBLA unplugged (.30 credit/.20 cash)
    xbox live arcade compilation disc bundled with console - Sealed (couldnt find on system)

1. Copy above list, delete Gamestop prices
    2. Paste onto adverts.ie
    3. Roll around in your newly found monies

TBH many of your games wont get you more than a fiver, but there are many that will get you way more. SF4 for example will get you 20 at least and teh controllers about 15ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

its madness what there trade in prices are! seen an article a few months ago stating how well gamestop, game are doing and the recession apparently doesnt effect them at all! its a disgrace!

also the mark up prices on new games is huge the staff get a 25 percent discount i believe!

a guy i know works in gamestop and got me a game for 46 euro that was 60 all because i got stiffed with a game! gave me a discount over getting screwed instore as i lost my receipt and only got trade in price on a brand new game so he used his staff discount to give me a dig out!

is there really no way of supplying games at a reasonable price?

PS3 and XBOX360 games generally have a terrible trade-in value, due to so many of those games being on the market - this could be wrong. Nintendo DS games, however, hold on to their trade-in value for a lot longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Be careful with that, I was asked to leave Gamestop in Henry Street when the guy in front of me was offered €44 for three Xbox 360 games and two PSP games. I offered him €60 there and then, he accepted and we were both thrown out :D
    lol brilliant!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I went into them with 3 games:

NFS shift (xbox)
    zelda (wii)
    NFS most wanted(xbox)

I was offered 45 for the lot, and i wanted modern warfare to trade against (used €44!!!!!!!!!!!)

Thought about it and aggreed. Then I went over to HMV accross the way and seen MW new for €35!! WTF???

I went straight back and got a refund and my games back. traded into HMV and got €62 for the games. in the end of my spree i was left with my new game and a few other deals they had, i also prebooked MW2 with them with is €8 cheaper for the hardend edition, and i still had over €15 left on a voucher.....

I will never return to Gamerape again. HMV all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

FutureGuy wrote: »
    1. Copy above list, delete Gamestop prices
    2. Paste onto adverts.ie
    3. Roll around in your newly found monies

TBH many of your games wont get you more than a fiver, but there are many that will get you way more. SF4 for example will get you 20 at least and teh controllers about 15ish.

game.ie and gamesnash got the same email

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Where is this?

Coz in Wexford there never this bad.
    I got 5euro for Mass Effect lyk.

Extravision are alot better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

€16 for COD4 is a crime against humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

i never got the whole trade in thing, i love collecting games and consoles and have everything since i bought a sega megadrive with batman when i 7 -ish and have every console since, guess im a hoarder of things but i like that i can go back and play them all on the original consoles and not use emulators or wat have ya..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

gamesnash: Command And Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars Xbox 360 €5.00
    Grand Theft Auto 4 Xbox 360 €8.00
    Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box Xbox 360 €8.00
    Call Of Duty 4 Xbox 360 €20.00
    Skate 2 Xbox 360 €11.00
    Mirrors Edge Xbox 360 €7.00
    Halo 3 Xbox 360 €7.00
    Mercenaries 2 Xbox 360 €7.00
    Project Gotham Racing 3 Xbox 360 €4.00
    Perfect Dark Zero Xbox 360 €2.00
    Madden 08 Xbox 360 €2.00
    Street Fighter IV Xbox 360 €10.00
    The Godfather Xbox 360 €5.00
    Splinter Cell Double Agent Xbox 360 €2.50
    Sid Meiers Civillization Revolution Xbox 360 €8.00
    Saints Row Xbox 360 €5.00
    Project Gotham Racing 4 Xbox 360 €6.00
    XBLA Unplugged I Xbox 360 €4.00
    Xbox Live Arcade Compilation Xbox 360 €2.00
    Postal Allowance
    €9.50

€133.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

If you think game stop are bad try Game. I don't even bother asking them for trade in prices anymore as I know I'll be ripped off. HMV and XtraVision give the best value,Smyths can be good sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Simeadrach

weeder wrote: »
    gamesnash: Command And Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars Xbox 360 €5.00
    Grand Theft Auto 4 Xbox 360 €8.00
    Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box Xbox 360 €8.00
    Call Of Duty 4 Xbox 360 €20.00
    Skate 2 Xbox 360 €11.00
    Mirrors Edge Xbox 360 €7.00
    Halo 3 Xbox 360 €7.00
    Mercenaries 2 Xbox 360 €7.00
    Project Gotham Racing 3 Xbox 360 €4.00
    Perfect Dark Zero Xbox 360 €2.00
    Madden 08 Xbox 360 €2.00
    Street Fighter IV Xbox 360 €10.00
    The Godfather Xbox 360 €5.00
    Splinter Cell Double Agent Xbox 360 €2.50
    Sid Meiers Civillization Revolution Xbox 360 €8.00
    Saints Row Xbox 360 €5.00
    Project Gotham Racing 4 Xbox 360 €6.00
    XBLA Unplugged I Xbox 360 €4.00
    Xbox Live Arcade Compilation Xbox 360 €2.00
    Postal Allowance
    €9.50

€133.00

and for the same trade ins in GAME

C&C 3 Tiberium Wars Xbox 360 €4
    Grand Theft Auto 4 Xbox 360 €11
    Burnout Paradise Ultimate Xbox 360 €8
    Call Of Duty 4 Xbox 360 €19
    Skate 2 Xbox 360 €13
    Mirrors Edge Xbox 360 €5
    Halo 3 Xbox 360 €9
    Mercenaries 2 Xbox 360 €8
    Project Gotham Racing 3 Xbox 360 €3
    Perfect Dark Zero Xbox 360 €1
    Madden 08 Xbox 360 €4
    Street Fighter IV Xbox 360 €13
    The Godfather Xbox 360 €10
    Splinter Cell Double Agent Xbox 360 €5
    Sid Meiers Civillization Rev Xbox 360 €5
    Saints Row Xbox 360 €4
    Project Gotham Racing 4 Xbox 360 €4
    XBLA Unplugged I Xbox 360 €4
    Xbox Live Arcade Comp Xbox 360 €4
    Total €134

about the same trade in value but if ye trade in against any chart game ye get 25% extra which comes to €167.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

TBH, I have no sympathy for people complaining about trade in prices on Boards.ie when they know that they'll make more money on adverts which is literally a click away as well as saving someone else some money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

25% extra on trade ins in Gamestop until november 1st I

Advertisement