Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People say enough

Options
  • 06-10-2009 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Over last few days, I have been battling with people to get them to see that a Yes for Lisbon is not a yes for the present government, their spending habits, and support for the banks! So I was disgusted this morning to see Brian Cowen’s face all over the papers gleaming like a cat that got the cream.
    I think it is finally time to show this government that we are not happy with the way they are running our country. For the last 10 years, we have let Fianna Fail loose on our country, we allowed them to run our country as they saw fit, but now we need accountability, we need to show them that they work for us, the ordinary workers, and not the fat cats who have brought this country to its knees.
    We finally have to say WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!!! we need to stand up and be counted.

What do people think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No argument from me! I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Over last few days, I have been battling with people to get them to see that a Yes for Lisbon is not a yes for the present government, their spending habits, and support for the banks!

That still doesn't mean that a "yes" vote was a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peoplesayenough

Thanks Biggins,

I just read another post there and it kinda sums me up at the minute

"I'm mad as hell,
    and I'm not going to take it anymore"

That still doesn't mean that a "yes" vote was a good idea.

I didnt say that, just that being angry at the govt wasnt a reason to vote no-Thats a different discussion altogether!!! :D

It actually gotten to the stage now that for the first time - in a long time - ordinary folk, every day hard workers are themselves saying "Feck this - the shower we have up to now is not good enough. None of them. I'm gonna do something about it."
    So far in the last three months I've learned of three new organisations setup to try and make a change.
    Granted that most at the end of the day will fail, small or big time but the fact that its happening should be a wake-up call for the shower of complacent, useless **** currently sitting in the Dail.

To use the saying "Let sleeping dogs lie" - well some of the dogs are waking up and are ready for once to bite back!
    Its about god-damn time!

• Advertisement

Yeah, like is it too much to ask for a bit of accountabilty from our elected reps?
    I'd love to do something constructive to make things better, but have no interest in politics or publicity. Could you pm me the names of those organisations if you know them pls biggins?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I didnt say that, just that being angry at the govt wasnt a reason to vote no-Thats a different discussion altogether!!! :D

I suppose, that if that had have been a reason to vote "no", we'd have have a different result altogether.... anyway, apologies for being off topic.. carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I'd love to do something constructive to make things better...

"Something constructive" is a vague term.

What do you think might make things better? If the Taoiseach called an election, it seems certain that we would get a Fine Gael/Labour coalition. Apart from giving people some satisfaction that the present lot were gone, can you see how that alternative government would improve our situation?

I suspect that the main opposition parties don't really want an election just yet. They would have to take on cutting government expenditure, increasing taxes, and putting in a scheme to give us a working banking system (possibly with NAMA pretty well in place). My guess is that they would prefer the present government to be forced to take on the first round(s) of corrective action and then they could take over in marginally easier conditions.

I suspect that the main opposition parties don't really want an election just yet. They would have to take on cutting government expenditure, increasing taxes, and putting in a scheme to give us a working banking system (possibly with NAMA pretty well in place). My guess is that they would prefer the present government to be forced to take on the first round(s) of corrective action and then they could take over in marginally easier conditions.

Again, well said too.

Like the clearly previously astute poster, I too suspect the same.
    AFTER the next budget in December - thats when I expect to see the bang or collapse, the gloves REALLY come off.

Till then, I think they are biding their time. Maybe thats why they don't want also to rock the boat too much with O'Donaghue issue too (besides exposure of their own expenses!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Yeah, like is it too much to ask for a bit of accountabilty from our elected reps?
    I'd love to do something constructive to make things better, but have no interest in politics or publicity. Could you pm me the names of those organisations if you know them pls biggins?

Thanks
    Join Amhrán Nua, we're working together to make things better (see sig).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

My main concern is less that a new government would have to "face the tough decisions," as there are alternatives to the hardline, by-the-neoliberal-textbook approach the sitting government is currently taking that a new administration could explore. These plans could easily be spun as the better and more reasonable options. The difficulty lies in seeing how a Labour/Fine Gael coalition would be able to come to some sort of compromise given that FG's strategy is effectively Fianna Fáil Lite while Labour are advocating an approach that is more left leaning and moderate, in complete contradiction with one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Amhran Nua wrote: »

Please don't canvass for new members in threads on here please. If you want to advertise you can pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah we do after all want some of your party's great proposals such as bus lanes between urban centres where we barely have dual carriageways as it is.
    Better still we could do with the ten new third level institutions you want to sprout up all over the country.
    Why do the words "another quango" and de-centralisation come to mind :rolleyes:

Oh yes I can see hard hit rural dwellers enjoying your one off housing tax as well .
    Oh and if you do bother reply it would be the first time a member of your party has bothered to either answer my questions or counter my valid critisisms. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I've decided that nothing can be done.

Fianna Fail are corrupt beyond belief.
    A FG/Labour coalition probably wouldn't cut the PS wages (FG by themselves might but Labour won't)
    I see Fine Gael as the only realistic alternative right now, but how long before they descend into corruption too.
    There are no political alternatives in this country.
    Short of the EU actually enforcing some reform, I don't see any hope.

I would like government to become as small as possible and have as little to do with me as possible, and thats the only solution I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah we do after all want some of your party's great proposals such as bus lanes between urban centres where we barely have dual carriageways as it is.
    We have had the most incompetent governments in the history of the state for the last ten years, who squandered utterly the record tax returns of that period. Could a better managed government not do better?
    Better still we could do with the ten new third level institutions you want to sprout up all over the country.
    Why do the words "another quango" and de-centralisation come to mind :rolleyes:
    I have no idea. I do know why the words "we have no other choice if we want something resembling a real economy" spring to mind.
    Oh yes I can see hard hit rural dwellers enjoying your one off housing tax as well .
    What are you referring to here?
    Oh and if you do bother reply it would be the first time a member of your party has bothered to either answer my questions or counter my valid critisisms. :rolleyes:
    If you have valid questions I'll do my best to answer them. If you're one of the copious peanut gallery in these parts, I won't waste my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JohnnyMobile

I just saw this thread after opening my own here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055702823

I agree totally about the government and their lack of accountability.

I have set up a petition please send it to your friends and family and ask them to sign it. I dont believe that there is nothing we can do about our government. I believe the people need to speak out.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sickire/petition.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

signed but online petitions don't do anything :(

thanks mate.
    They may not do anything but they can be a baby step towards something bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I just saw this thread after opening my own here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055702823

I agree totally about the government and their lack of accountability.

I have set up a petition please send it to your friends and family and ask them to sign it. I dont believe that there is nothing we can do about our government. I believe the people need to speak out.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sickire/petition.html

That petition is too vague. You need to define what you believe is accountability and than ask for that.

I have purposely kept it short and without pages of detail. The initial draft was too rambling for the intended audience - i.e. anyone that feels the government answers to nobody.

I understand where you are coming from and appreciate the feedback but I think there is simply a general lack of accountability across the board. The petition was initially posted on www.sickireland.com with an accompanying memo.

Thanks again for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

If you're one of the copious peanut gallery in these parts, I won't waste my time.

Amhran Nua, how you expect to attract votes by resorting to personal abuse is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Amhran Nua, how you expect to attract votes by resorting to personal abuse is beyond me.

I don't see what was so offensive about it, he said if and if, besides I'd give him a vote just for honesty alone.
    It'd be nice to hear a politician tell the truth sometimes, (no matter how politically incorrect) instead of the usual bile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think a new government would probably boost morale and probably consumer convidence at least until their first budget :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I don't see what was so offensive about it, he said if and if, besides I'd give him a vote just for honesty alone.
    It'd be nice to hear a politician tell the truth sometimes, (no matter how politically incorrect) instead of the usual bile.

I point you towards this thread for examples of how 'honest' Amhran Nua are.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055684305&page=19

There is nothing honest about question dodging.

There is nothing honest about question dodging.

I have to agree.
    I had hopes. I honestly did.
    Not now. What I read was coming across as arrogance, disdain, illusiveness, insulting and in-decisiveness just to begin with.

When he won't answer a question and ducks it at least 8 times - then asks for the thread to be closed - giving the appearance that he no longer wants to give a direct answer, Amhran Nua then goes to this thread and states "If you have valid questions I'll do my best to answer them. If you're one of the copious peanut gallery in these parts, I won't waste my time."
    (Just a pity he wouldn't do it in the other thread!)

I have a question.
    Why should we now bother asking questions when if Amhran Nua likes the questions - he will answer them
    ...and if he don't - he will duck and dive like all before - and then possibly ask for the thread to be closed too!!!

I must now also be one of "the copious peanut gallery in these parts!" - for I too now question the methodology of his mannerisms and ways.
    Talk about broad insulting across the board! I'm sorry but that type of behaviour is just inexcusable and reprehensible.
    No decent organisation if it wishes to be further aboveboard and better than what has gone before will revert to such behaviour.

Advertisement