Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maxtor external disaster

• 06-10-2009 3:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

OK My 500gb maxtor has a i/o problem, it reads a couple of folders in but by the time it gets to the files a pop up reads i/o error. . its had 2 memorable knocks the first it rattled after, the second knock repaired the rattle but now the i/o problem. . downloading testdisk software as recomended in another thread, any other ideas or knoweledge of the i/o errror.
    thanks in advance and if this thread bothers some people because its been discussed before and their not a mod, i'll PM them two words.
    Thanks guys, Backup backup backup!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

mr biazzi wrote: »
    any other ideas or knoweledge of the i/o errror.

Could be bad cable or bad case electronics, hard drive could be fine. Any possiblility of taking it out of the case and connecting directly to a motherboard?

Also, if you have lots of other USB devices connected, try removing them all except the external drive.

Can be lots of things. You might have better success with a linux boot disk like Knoppix for accessing and recovering the data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Are you using an extra long USB cable ? That can cause this problem sometimes

Advertisement