Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flirty mare?

Options
  • 06-10-2009 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Couldn't think of an appropriate title to be honest!

But yea just wanna ask some of you experts out there.

I have had my mare, Hasna for a year and a bit now, and have absolutly no problems with her at all (except for some jumping confidence, but that's my problem haha)when riding or on the ground, except for one.

She is quite, shall we say, found of the fellas?

She is constantly flirting, and hassling the boys, and has been in season for about 3 weeks out of every month at a time, starting since around February this year and is still at it to this day. The even odder thing is, is when she's even not in season she will still flirt with the boys, and will often almost come into season there and then, ie. urinating, 'winking'. If turned out with any male horse she will push her bottom towards them lets say and will give them quite a show. And she will get quite narky if they don't do anything about it. She often comes in covered in bite marks and scratches which can be a pain.

Now she has had a foal before, who is now a 4 year old, she is only 8 herself, and I have (mostly) no problems, like I said, riding her or groundwork. It's just quite odd, and I wonder if anyone has any idea to stop this behaviour.

Now I'm all for her getting her kicks, but it sometimes comes to a stage where she will nap while out hacking when she sees a stallion or even a gelding and will misbehave when her 'flavour of the month' is in the arena with her. Just wondering if there was a way to calm her down.

Now the stabling that she is in has bars as the dividers, so she is in constant contact with other horses. Moving her might be the solution, but in a livery yard with only a few stables it's hard.

I could put a mare beside her, but get this, she will flirt with mares too. :pac:

At the yard I am at there are only 3 mares, counting her, and around 20 geldings, no stallions (thanks god) so she is always surrounded by them.

So has anyone had a mare so 'sexually active' shall we say, and how did you counteract that?

Comments

If a mare tends to stay in season for more then a week or so, it could be that she has a mineral deficiency.

Perhaps talk to a vet/nutritionist or maybe get some bloods?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I was considering that to be honest, as I have never met a mar ein my life who was this bad. Luckilly she is due her vaccs so I will get talking to the vet.

The oddest thing, which I actually forgot to mention was that last summer (I got her juno 08) she was almost never in season, although she had no direct contact with other horses, as I had her at a different yard.

Which makes it a bit more stranger, but I will get it looked at, I think I may have made a mistake by just assuming she was a bit of a sl*t haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Get her bloods done, talk to the vet, could well be a hormone imbalance that could be put under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

MDFM wrote: »
    Get her bloods done, talk to the vet, could well be a hormone imbalance that could be put under control.

Best thing to do alright

Maybe (after speaking to the vet!) you could try this.
    I had to laugh when I saw the name
    Slut Mix

http://www.tri-ireland.ie/ecom/description.php?II=88&UID=2009100910571486.43.58.68&CatID=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Haha slut mix, fitting alright.

I'm going to get the vet up. It may take a while however, but It's not exactly somthing to really worry about is it? In all fairness, I don't have that much knowledge when it comes to internal problems and such, like hormone inbalances.

So untill I can get the vet up, what else can I do about it? Problem is, is that I'm really sick at the moment so I cannot get up to her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement