Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily Mail's 50 Worst Premiership Strikers

• 06-10-2009 8:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

They're doing 10 strikers every day this week. This is the first lot from Monday -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1217725/THE-LIST-The-worst-strikers-played-Premier-League-Nos-50-41.html
    THE LIST: The worst strikers to have played in the Premier League, Nos 50-41

50 Eric Meijer
    After forming one of the most intimidating strike forces in the Bundesliga, the Dutchman bombed at Liverpool after moving in 1999. Such was his failure to make the grade at Anfield that Meijer was loaned out to Preston North End before eventually returning to Hamburg in December 2000. He did, though, make a lasting impact on the Liverpool faithful after famously drinking and singing with them in Dortmund prior to the 2001 Uefa Cup Final.
    article-1217725-06ACFE0E000005DC-256_468x451.jpg

49 Darko Kovacevic
    The Serb registered an astonishing 37 goals in just 47 games for Red Star Belgrade before moving to Sheffield Wednesday in 1996. His disastrous spell with the Owls lasted half a season before he moved onto Real Sociedad in Spain. From there he rediscovered his shooting boots and went on to thrive in La Liga and later in Serie A with Juventus.
    article-1217725-06ACFDF8000005DC-625_468x327.jpg

48 Jon Stead
    An Englishman with a burgeoning reputation for getting goals in the lower leagues, Stead moved from Huddersfield Town to Blackburn Rovers in 2004 but despite a promising start, he ultimately struggled with the step-up in class. In the years since he has become something of a journeyman playing for Sunderland, Derby, Sheffield U***d and Ipswich.
    article-1217725-06ACFDF2000005DC-436_468x317.jpg

47 Mikkel Beck
    The Dane's inability to score led to Middlesbrough being relegated from the Premier League in his first season with the club. Although he helped fire them back to the big time a year later, Beck once again failed to provide the goals in the top flight. He had loan spells at Nottingham Forest and QPR in a bid to rediscover his form before moving to Lille in 2000.
    article-1217725-06ACFE1E000005DC-677_468x401.jpg

46 Georgios Samaras
    A positive start to life at Manchester City counted little for Samaras, whose appearances came mostly for the bench. A woeful record was defended by Blues boss Stuart Pearce who insisted that, at 21, age was on the Greek's side. For all his backing, though, Pearce rarely started the front man and Samaras moved to Celtic in 2008.
    article-1217725-06ACFE0B000005DC-418_468x413.jpg

45 Savio
    The Ugandan born German arrived at Upton Park from Italian outfit Brescia with in a hail of publicity. Labelled one of Europe's most promising talents, and despite costing close to £10 million (a club record), Savio made just one start for West Ham and was moved on in the summer to Serie A side Fiorentina.
    article-1217725-06ACFDFB000005DC-587_468x371.jpg

44 Christopher Wreh
    Having played under Arsene Wenger at Monaco, Arsenal fans were excited by the prospect of the Liberian at Highbury. However, an explosive end to the 1997/98 season did little to help Wreh cement a place in the team. Thierry Henry's arrival spelt the end for Wreh and, after loan spells with AEK Athens and Den Bosc[/img]h, he slowly slipped down the League ladder before ending up in non-league.
    article-1217725-06ACFDE8000005DC-596_468x388.jpg

43 Walter Pandiani
    Steve Bruce is known for his shrewdness in the transfer market, and when Pandiani flourished on loan at Birmingham, the former U***d man thought he had picked up another gem. The player was duly signed on a permanent deal but never scaled the heights he had previously and jumped ship one year into the deal.
    article-1217725-06ACFDDA000005DC-896_468x383.jpg

42 Andriy Voronin
    Playing in the shadow of Fernando Torres was never going to be easy but Voronin stropped his way through a debut season at Anfield before moving on loan to Hertha Berlin. There he recaptured the form that had first alerted Rafa Benitez but since returning to Merseyside in the summer he has reverted to type and once again failed to make an impact.
    article-1217725-06ACFDA4000005DC-118_468x344.jpg

41 Kevin Kyle
    Kyle initially showed great promise by firing Sunderland up to the Premier league via the playoffs. However the Scot was injured for the majority of the initial top-flight season and his confidence ultimately took a knock. He scored just one goal in Sunderland's embarrassingly inept relegation season of 2006 before moving onto Coventry.
    article-1217725-06ACFE49000005DC-470_468x398.jpg

I'm expecting to see Marco Boogers very high up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

As a Blackburn fan i don't like seeing Stead on it, especially if Corrado Grabbi fails to make an appearance!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrado_Grabbi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm sure Ade Akinbyi will reach lofty heights in this list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Andrea Slienzi and Jason Lee will be in top 20 I am sure!
    Also why is United spelled as U****d in the Walter Pandiani part, is that some sort of an in joke with the newspaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

gucci wrote: »
    Also why is United spelled as U****d in the Walter Pandiani part, is that some sort of an in joke with the newspaper?

Lol that's actually an error on my part.

I copied and pasted a post from a City forum (easier to copy a post than an article formatting wise) where, as a bit of an in joke, United was added to the swear filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Xavi6 wrote: »

I copied and pasted a post from a City forum (easier to copy a post than an article formatting wise) where, as a bit of an in joke, United was added to the swear filter.
    LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

Sean Dundee must be in with a good shout of a top 5 finish here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm sure Morientes will grace it too, christ we've had some stinkers at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have a further question for you, how do they try to spell United?

U***d is a letter short....

I imagine we'll see Bellion and Forlan make an appearance too.

What position did Weah's cousin/nephew play? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

hahaha brilliant. Can we get the same done here? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats the criteria? Voronin was free and is actually quite decent, whereas Tomas "burger" Brolin (who I presume will make an appearence) cost a load (5 million) and played 19 games

mike65 wrote: »
    Whats the criteria? Voronin was free and is actually quite decent, whereas Tomas "burger" Brolin (who I presume will make an appearence) cost a load (5 million) and played 19 games

I'm sure its completely down to games, goals and over all play and nothing what so ever to do with cost.

Voronin regardless of cost was also rubbish and in no way what so ever "quite decent".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Was just going to mention Brolin, he has to be top ten and probably top 3! In fairness though he did score 4 goals in his 19 appearances.

Haha, I was wondering if it was just your new posting policy!

Haha, I had forgotten about Tammy Brolin with his moobs :pac::pac:
    I'm sure his Swedish cassanova Martin Dahlin will get in somewhere too!

*edit* was Dahlin a free transfer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

gucci wrote: »
    Haha, I was wondering if it was just your new posting policy!

Haha, I had forgotten about Tammy Brolin with his moobs :pac::pac:
    I'm sure his Swedish cassanova Martin Dahlin will get in somewhere too!

*edit* was Dahlin a free transfer?

I'm not sure if he was a free transfer,

I do remember Blackburn trying to sue their insurance company for £4 million after his injury, i don't know whether that was based on transfer fee paid, value or wages.

He was nowhere near as bad a signing as Grabbi though for Blackburn, see my link above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Stefan Guivarc'h (newcastle) should grace the top 10 i rekon , he was shocking (and to think he has a world cup winners medal) !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That Italian who Sven signed for Man City should also be in there at some stage. Cannot even remember his name, but he cost a decent sum as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

gimmick wrote: »
    That Italian who Sven signed for Man City should also be in there at some stage. Cannot even remember his name, but he cost a decent sum as well.

Bianchi wasn't it?

My first reaction was Michael Ricketts, but after a quick search I saw that he actually had a pretty decent season when Bolton were promoted.

gimmick wrote: »

The lad with the scarf -

BianchiAP0912_468x312.jpg

And there was also -

article-0-05E0599F0000044D-95_233x459.jpg

Though to be fair, it was worth having him around just for his missus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What position did Weah's cousin/nephew play? :D

Ali Dia played up front. He must be number one in that list
    http://www.laughfc.co.uk/stories/story.php?id=525

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Massimo Maccarone will probably be spared a top 10 place for his Uefa cup heroics alone. Sheva has got to win this though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Wonder where Andrea Silenzi will come on that list, pretty high up I would suspect ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Silenzi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Bosco Balaban. Surely top 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Massimo Maccarone will probably be spared a top 10 place for his Uefa cup heroics alone. Sheva has got to win this though

ali dia will win.

if they've any sense.

sheva will be top 10.

shout outs to...

Sean Dundee
    Dong Fungxiao (sp?)
    Rolando Bianchi
    Ade Akinbiyi
    Sergei Rebrov
    Bosko Balaban
    Iain Dowie

SlickRic wrote: »
    ali dia will win.

if they've any sense.

sheva will be top 10.

shout outs to...

Sean Dundee
    Dong Fungxiao (sp?)
    Rolando Bianchi
    Ade Akinbiyi
    Sergei Rebrov
    Bosko Balaban
    Iain Dowie

122 games, 30 goals for Southampton between 1991 and 1995 followed by 6 in 19 for Palace. Hardly disgraceful.

On the otherhand.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

but look at him...

fcd9d573-e392-48d3-b5a0-bd4de7e1c61f.jpg

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ali Dia played up front. He must be number one in that list
    http://www.laughfc.co.uk/stories/story.php?id=525

Is there any footage online of Ali Dia playing against Leeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Francis Jeffers was absolutely atrocious for the price paid for him...

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Is there any footage online of Ali Dia playing against Leeds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm sure Morientes will grace it too, christ we've had some stinkers at Liverpool.

Aboubacar Sidiki 'Titi' Camara

Going back a bit here but Paul Furlong & Claudio Pizaro for Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Francis Jeffers the Arsenal version - gave foxes a bad name in North London I can tell you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

lol, "Ali Dia - Southampton 8:17pm - 8:25pm"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Bosco Balaban. Surely top 5

Surely the winner!

We (Villa) paid 6million for him in 2001. He played 9 games and didn't score a goal, before leaving on a free!

8-10 wrote: »
    Aboubacar Sidiki 'Titi' Camara

Considering many of his games were as a sub or playing up front in a really isolated formation or stuck on the wing (where technically he cant be considered a bad striker) I cant see him making the top 50! Scored a few match winner goals (including one vs Arsenal @ Highbury if i remember correctly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I don't think Christopher Wreh should be on this list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Who was that Dutch fella West Ham signed back in the mid-9o's who ended up living in a caravan suffering from depresssion? Marco Boogers maybe?

Also David Nugent must be on this.

And Jordi Cruyff.

But in terms of outlay and sheer let-down, it HAS to be Shevchenko number one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

flahavaj wrote: »
    Who was that Dutch fella West Ham signed back in the mid-9o's who ended up living in a caravan suffering from depresssion? Marco Boogers maybe?

Also David Nugent must be on this.

And Jordi Cruyff.

But in terms of outlay and sheer let-down, it HAS to be Shevchenko number one.

That was Marco Boogers indeed.
    Played a few great seasons for a minor club in holland but the top clubs never dared to buy him. I guess he showed at West ham how right Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

It'll be interesting to see which team has the most players listed at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Liverpool gonna win this I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

flahavaj wrote: »
    Liverpool gonna win this I think.

They're a bit like the Beatles aren't they? There'll be lots of other candidates, but they'll end up having 4 of the top 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

Morientes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

£30.8 million for Andrei Shevchenko.

2006–2009 Chelsea 48 appearances 9 goals.

I cant find how much he went back to Dynamo Kiev for.

I think this makes him the worst. Although Chris Sutton to Chelsea used to win this competition all the time a few years ago.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Some not mentioned so far -

Hugo Porfirio
    Ysrael Zúñiga
    Ian Marshall
    Samassi Abou
    Steve Marlet
    Mario Jardel

Some not mentioned so far -

Hugo Porfirio
    Ysrael Zúñiga
    Ian Marshall
    Samassi Abou
    Steve Marlet
    Mario Jardel

Marlet was a big one - signed for a massive fee, completely flopped and there were court cases over some aspect to it all wasn't there?

Mario Jardel; another FM legend turned out poo, such as Ibrahim Bakayoko and Kennedy Baikerclogu (or something like that!)

Kennedy Baikerclogu (or something like that!)

Ah now, while he didnt turn into a World Player of the Year, Kennedy's done alright for himself.

Currently an integral part of the Ajax squad.

Always be a legend in my eyes anyway :D

Ah now, while he didnt turn into a World Player of the Year, Kennedy's done alright for himself.

Currently an integral part of the Ajax squad.

Always be a legend in my eyes anyway :D

He had a trial at Bolton and they turned him away a few years back i thought (maybe I have him mixed up and have done him a massive disservice....) Denilson also had a trial with them too i think.

He had a trial at Bolton and they turned him away a few years back i thought (maybe I have him mixed up and have done him a massive disservice....) Denilson also had a trial with them too i think.

Not sure about Bolton but he definitely had a trial with United in the late 90s.

Not sure about Bolton but he definitely had a trial with United in the late 90s.

Yeah - i was googling the bolton trial and read that about United.

Saw nothing about Bolton so it is increasingly likely that I am mistaken.

Second list is up -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1218267/THE-LIST-The-worst-strikers-played-Premier-League-Nos-40-31.html
    40 Mateja Kezman

What do you mean Chelsea threw loads of money at a striker and it didn't work out?

That has never happened before has it Sheva?

The club bought Kezman, a player who had shown great form in the Dutch Eredivisie but he failed to make the grade over here.

The former Serbia international (right) made just 14 starts in the Blue of Chelsea before disappearing out of the door.

article-1218267-06B5C604000005DC-27_310x311.jpg

39 Augustin Delgado

A remarkable story is the one of Southampton's Delgado - he managed to become a legend at Saint Mary's despite refusing to learn English and insisting on playing for Ecuador while injured.

His injury became chronic, his career went down the drain and he only managed 15 appearances and two goals in three years.

article-1218267-06B5C637000005DC-722_468x382.jpg

38 Rolando Bianchi

Back in the days before Manchester City had loads of money they would spend ... erm ... loads of money.

Whereas now they spend it on world-class talent such as Robinho and Carlos Tevez, they used to spend it on players such as Bianchi (right).

Just shy of £9million took him from Reggina but he was back on the plane home just six months later after Sven Goran Eriksson's attentions turned elsewhere.

article-1218267-06B5C5F4000005DC-599_308x324.jpg

37 Martin Dahlin

So good against England at the European Championships in 1992 (wasn't everyone during that era) but a thorough let-down on his arrival at Blackburn.

A training-ground injury meant the former Sweden international made just 29 appearances and found the six times for Rovers.

article-1218267-06B5C5FA000005DC-77_468x450.jpg

36 Gerald Sibon

There are some revisionists who believe that Sibon's time at Sheffield Wednesday wasn't as bad as people seem to remember.

He scored goals, yes, but they were at a frustratingly slow rate of one every four games - and he cost a fortune too.

A clearly talented player but his inability to shine on a regular basis was enough to render his time at Hillsborough a failure.

article-1218267-06B5C623000005DC-464_468x416.jpg

35 David Nugent

A 100 per cent scoring rate for England. But you're not going to get away with that argument - it was Jermain Defoe's goal he pinched on the line against Andorra.
    CHEEKY, CHEEKY, CHEEKY - WATCH THE VIDEO

Granted, he did well at Preston but, when put in front of decent opposition while at Portsmouth on a regular basis, his disintegration spoke volumes.

However, there is a glimmer of hope for Nugent who now has the chance of retribution at Burnley.

34 Jon Dahl Tomasson

What makes Tomasson a very, very annoying player is that he was brilliant for every other team he played for ... so what went wrong at Newcastle?

It's generally accepted that, despite having plenty of skill, he wasn't strong enough to prosper with all the nasty big bullies in the Premier League (do they not have a gym at St James' Park?) and so, after just one year, 34 appearances and four goals, he slipped off to Feyenoord.

article-1218267-06B5C607000005DC-258_224x290.jpg

33 Andreas Andersson

You may notice that there's quite a few Newcastle names in this list, the reason being they have a habit of buying shocking players.

Disliked by Magpies faithful, the only thing that saves Jon Dahl Tomasson from being further up this list is Andersson.

A couple of million was spent on a player that made 33 appearances and scored a measly four goals - not great business in anybody's book.

article-1218267-06B5C5E3000005DC-831_224x290.jpg

32 Andreas Lund

Wimbledon were in the final throes of the dream they had been living for 14 top-flight years when Egil Olsen spent £2.5m on the man from Molde.

In a year with the Dons he managed to impress no one.

What is remarkable is that Lund (right) won eight international caps for Norway.

article-1218267-06B5C645000005DC-38_310x232.jpg

31 Helder Postiga

The frustrating thing for Tottenham fans is that they have had the money but could never attract the classy players, not like their rivals Arsenal, anyway.

Supporters thought all that had changed when Postiga arrived but two one-on-one misses, in the space of about 15 minutes, against said rivals meant the Portuguese was thrown on to the ever-growing pile of strikers marked 'rubbish' at White Hart Lane.

Two goals in 24 games cost Spurs £6.25m. Nice.

article-1218267-06B5C611000005DC-1_468x503.jpg

Harsh on Jon-Dahl imo. He was very young at Newcastle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement