Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily Mail's 50 Worst Premiership Strikers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

kenon wrote: »
    £30.8 million for Andrei Shevchenko.

2006–2009 Chelsea 48 appearances 9 goals.

I cant find how much he went back to Dynamo Kiev for.

I think this makes him the worst. Although Chris Sutton to Chelsea used to win this competition all the time a few years ago.

I think there is a bit of a difference though in a transfer flop that just a shockingly bad player.

Ok Sheva cost 30m and a return of 1 goal every 5 games isn't great but its still no where near Bosko Balaban return of 9 games no goals or Ali Dia's 15mins of fame.

I think transfer fee's should be left out of it and also prior to his Chelsea stint Chris Sutton was lethal in the prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

kenon wrote: »
    I think this makes him the worst. Although Chris Sutton to Chelsea used to win this competition all the time a few years ago.

Only formed part of one of best strike partnerships in hte history of the premiership :rolleyes:

The title of this is ''50 worst Premiership Strikers'' not worst transfers, biggest disapointments or anything else just the worst strikers how you could include Chris Sutton anywhere near that is astounding tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Only formed part of one of best strike partnerships in hte history of the premiership :rolleyes:

The title of this is ''50 worst Premiership Strikers'' not worst transfers, biggest disapointments or anything else just the worst strikers how you could include Chris Sutton anywhere near that is astounding tbh.

Ahh get over it. :rolleyes: I didn't really think it through. I am well aware of the SAS partnership, its just that Sutton is always thrown up because of his dismal performance for Chelsea.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair to Chelsea with Kezmen, they hardly "threw money at a striker", he was a bargain at the time considering his goals record (cost about 5mill i think), they made a profit selling him on after he flopped as i recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

A bit harsh on Voronin, no? He's far from the best striker, but didn't cost a dime compared to to the cash splashed on others. Plus he spent a year of his time at Liverpool out on loan..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    A bit harsh on Voronin, no? He's far from the best striker, but didn't cost a dime compared to to the cash splashed on others. Plus he spent a year of his time at Liverpool out on loan..

Exactly, that's how shit he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Exactly, that's how shit he is.
    Yeah, in the Bundesliga. Go make a shiittest Bundesliga strikers list :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

man, forgot about Postiga. the only thing he ever did was score against Liverpool in a 2-1 win at White Hart Lane; which i was at :mad:

Martin Dahlin's another one i couldn't believe i'd forgotten. i remember i had him in my FF when he arrived. not a good plan.

kezman. i can't believe he hadn't been mentioned.

and delgado, i only have vague memories of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Speaking of Shevshenko and his lack of impact on the Premiership....his buddy Rebrov didnt exactly terrorise defences when he moved to Spurs from what I recall either? (I'm sure therecklessone would have the facts!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

SlickRic wrote: »
    but look at him...

fcd9d573-e392-48d3-b5a0-bd4de7e1c61f.jpg

;)

Jesus christ it's Dirk Kuyt's twin brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I could see David Bellion getting a shout in this list.

50856bellion.jpg

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Kluivert mentioned yet?

Had a terrible time at Newcastle IIRC

Dancor wrote: »
    Kluivert mentioned yet?

Had a terrible time at Newcastle IIRC

Only played one season and got to double figures afaik, more would have expected because of he's reputation but still respectable hardly worst 50 ever material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How about Sergei Rebrov? Major Spurs flop.

Also Albert Luque. Signed for Newcastle for £9.5m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

gucci wrote: »
    Speaking of Shevshenko and his lack of impact on the Premiership....his buddy Rebrov didnt exactly terrorise defences when he moved to Spurs from what I recall either? (I'm sure therecklessone would have the facts!)

Yeah but isn't Sheva the most expensive striker brought to the Premiership

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Charlton had about 5 or 6 strikers around 2000 and they where all terrible!

Can't wait to see the top 10 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Ali Dia anyone? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Keeping on a Newcastle theme, how about Xisco?

While I'm at it Derby County's fake passport carying Argie Esteban Fuertes might be worth a shout (even though they turned a profit selling him after he got kicked out of the UK)

Then there was Andrea Silenzi... who wasn't very good at all when he turned up at Forest (or anywhere else after that, for that matter!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I think I remember your man Augustin Delgado threw a wobbler cos his team-mates didnt remember his birthday!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/2780531.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Jesus christ it's Dirk Kuyt's twin brother.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw it, made a pic to show the similarity, then I saw your post. :(

I'm posting it anyway. :P

Dowie-Kuyt.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1218559/THE-LIST-The-worst-strikers-played-Premier-League-Nos-30-21.html
    Only played one season and got to double figures afaik, more would have expected because of he's reputation but still respectable hardly worst 50 ever material

Hmmmm

In work cant access the link but I'm assuming young Patrick is in there :o still personally I dont agree that someone who scored 13 goals in 35 appearances is worthy of been rated in the 30 worst strikers to have played in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No way should Maccarone be that high, or even in there.

30. Dong-Gook Lee
    29. Massimo Maccarone
    28. Michele Padovano
    27. Daniel Cordone
    26. Francis Jeffers
    25. Titi Camara
    24. Milton Nunez
    23. Corrado Grabbi
    22. Patrick Kluivert
    21. David Bellion

Grabbi should be higher

In work cant access the link but I'm assuming young Patrick is in there :o still personally I dont agree that someone who scored 13 goals in 35 appearances is worthy of been rated in the 30 worst strikers to have played in the premiership.

Sorry should have listed the names, Thanks Xavi.

I actually agree with you. Didnt know he he scores that many. Thought it was about 5 or so. According to Wikipedia it was 6 in 25 league gmaes. Maybe they are only counting league games and goals.

I must say once again, the Titi Camara thing, the year he was at Liverpool, he was ok.

Done what was expected of him, I dont think he was ever brought in as a 20 goal a year striker.
    I'm not trying to make out he was a genius, but i dont think he deserves to be as high as he is.
    He was limited talented wise, but worked hard, and probably the injuries to Fowler and Owen meant he played more than he should have, but also meant he was a lone striker alot of the time.

I cant comment on his West Ham career but it sounds like it was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No way should Maccarone be that high, or even in there.

30. Dong-Gook Lee
    29. Massimo Maccarone
    28. Michele Padovano
    27. Daniel Cordone
    26. Francis Jeffers
    25. Titi Camara
    24. Milton Nunez
    23. Corrado Grabbi
    22. Patrick Kluivert
    21. David Bellion

Grabbi should be higher

Yes he should.

Kluivert shouldn't though.

EDIT:

Though I will never forget the pain of SSN's headline in the Rovers-Pool game a few years back of "Blackburn Grabbi a point" when he scored a late equaliser.

kluivert in there is ridiculous.

no way are there only 20 worse strikers than him in the history of the Premiership.

lazy pick to be honest.

Thought Reyes would have been mentioned already. I have a feeling he will be in here somewhere.

Thought Reyes would have been mentioned already. I have a feeling he will be in here somewhere.

never.

he was merely expensive.

if he's top 20, it'll be appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Johan Elmander? Cost £8.2 million

SlickRic wrote: »
    never.

he was merely expensive.

if he's top 20, it'll be appalling.

By that logic Schevchenko should be excluded too?

(he scored 14 in his first season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Just because Kluivert and Shevchenko were so prolific before they moved to the Premiership does not mean they shouldnt be included in the list. They were just horrible in the PL and very expensive ones at that. For this reason alone Shevchenko has to be the worst ever PL signing of a striker.

You could add Crespo and Asprilla to that list as well.

Warper wrote: »
    Just because Kluivert and Shevchenko were so prolific before they moved to the Premiership does not mean they shouldnt be included in the list. They were just horrible in the PL and very expensive ones at that. For this reason alone Shevchenko has to be the worst ever PL signing of a striker.

You're not listening.

Both got double figures in their first seasons.

noodler wrote: »
    By that logic Schevchenko should be excluded too?

(he scored 14 in his first season)

fair enough so.

i would say in addition though, that Reyes played more games, and tended to be more impressive.

i don't think he was a flop quite on the level of Shevchenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sheva (around 30m) also cost about 3 times more than Reyes.

None of which was re-couped.

Whereas with Reyes, 8.5m of so of the 10.5m was got back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

noodler wrote: »
    You're not listening.

Both got double figures in their first seasons.

£31m for Shevchenko. He only scored 9 PL goals in his first season, the rest were in the Charity Shield, Carling Cup and Europe. Did you see the PL goals he scored - 2 yard tap-ins when they were already 3-0 up and Lampard or whoever feeling sorry for him and squaring it rather than scoring himself. He has to be the worst striker in PL history (which is a shame for the one of the best strikers i have ever seen).

OK we can talk about Joe Bloggs who was bought for €3m and scored 3 goals in 50 appearances, half of them from the bench but then just look at Hull's sub bench or Bobby Zamora.

dubmick wrote: »
    Johan Elmander? Cost £8.2 million

This guy has been bloody awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

you're joking, right?

First year: 19 appearances, 10 goals
    Second Year: 30 appearances, 10 goals

a lot of those were as sub appearances as well

• Advertisement

Crespo never got a chance at Chelsea. Always liked him. Done the job before and after he was at Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

No mention of Collins "Fat Boy" Mbesuma?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collins_Mbesuma
    .....It was noted that he appeared overweight early in the season when playing for the reserve team. Collins never started a match for Portsmouth; he only came on for a total of 4 brief substitute appearances, all in the first half of the 2005/06 season. In July 2006 he began a season long loan with CS Marítimo where he appeared to be regaining his form - netting in vital goals early in the season and receiving the 'Swan d'Or', an auspicious monthly Portuguese football award. However his form soon dipped and his goal tally climaxed at a total of just seven goals. He returned to Portsmouth in June 2007 after playing 23 games for the Portuguese team.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bosko Balaban has to be in the top ten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Bosko Balaban has to be in the top ten.
    +1

Morientes, Voronin and Dundee for Liverpool perhaps, Mido, John Spencer when he signed for Everton, Bakayoko but Stuart Barlow takes the biscuit

£31m for Shevchenko. He only scored 9 PL goals in his first season, the rest were in the Charity Shield, Carling Cup and Europe. Did you see the PL goals he scored - 2 yard tap-ins when they were already 3-0 up and Lampard or whoever feeling sorry for him and squaring it rather than scoring himself. He has to be the worst striker in PL history (which is a shame for the one of the best strikers i have ever seen).

OK we can talk about Joe Bloggs who was bought for €3m and scored 3 goals in 50 appearances, half of them from the bench but then just look at Hull's sub bench or Bobby Zamora.

So he scored 14 goals. Thats what I said. If we are going to get into the types of goals and the competitions scored in then this is going to get beyond messy.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    Sheva (around 30m) also cost about 3 times more than Reyes.

None of which was re-couped.

Whereas with Reyes, 8.5m of so of the 10.5m was got back.

Again, I didn't think this mattered? If Keane had been bought from a foreign club he would be on that list despite the fee recouped (and despite the fact 7 goals in 5 monthes isn't all that bad!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Florin Radiciou has to be there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Lists like these are a bit silly.
    Have the Italians create a list of worst strikers in the Serie A and Dennis Bergkamp would be on it.....

inforfun wrote: »
    Lists like these are a bit silly.
    Have the Italians create a list of worst strikers in the Serie A and Dennis Bergkamp would be on it.....

Same rules apply for Shevshenko and Crespo etc being flops in the EPL.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

again, if you look at crespo's record, he was far from a flop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Crespo never got a chance at Chelsea. Always liked him. Done the job before and after he was at Chelsea.

Crespo's first season he had the highest goals to minutes on the pitch ratio in the prem. A lot better than Henry that year.

What the stats don't tell you is pretty much all of his goals that he got at chelsea were with only getting on in the last 5 or 10 mins of the game.

Voltwad wrote: »
    +1

Morientes, Voronin and Dundee for Liverpool perhaps

Dont forget Dribble Cisse

• Advertisement
Advertisement