Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily Mail's 50 Worst Premiership Strikers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Madar from Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

event wrote: »
    again, if you look at crespo's record, he was far from a flop
    I meant that in a sort of ironic way as to point out the relative stupidity of the poll. I guess Henry could be regarded as a Serie A flop too, although he was never a prolific goal scorer until he moved to Arsenal.

Guess im bringing this off topic really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

gucci wrote: »
    Speaking of Shevshenko and his lack of impact on the Premiership....his buddy Rebrov didnt exactly terrorise defences when he moved to Spurs from what I recall either? (I'm sure therecklessone would have the facts!)

IMveryhumbleO Glenn Hoddle destroyed Rebrov. He scored 12 goals in his first season, not an outstanding return but he was playing in a very sh1t (and George Graham defensive) team. Hoddle took over in April of Rebrov's first season and seemed to take an instant dislike to him, relegating him to the bench in the close season after getting Sheringham back from United.

Careful management would have got a better return from the bloke.

Careful management would have got a better return from the bloke.

I am sure the same could be said of 100s of flops at clubs over the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any link to todays?

:)

14 Diego Forlan

Forlan became something of a cult figure with the Manchester United faithful, not because he was ever any good but because he was so bad - it took him 27 appearances to score his first goal.

He was shown the door by Sir Alex after a classic case of the straw that broke the camel's back. The Uruguayan was told to wear boots with longer studs in wet conditions but didn't and was caught by Fergie. He never played for the Reds again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Surely Kluivert would have to be in there. What were we thinking?

20 Lilian Laslandes

Remarkably, Laslandes has a fan club but I can confirm that Peter Reid is not a member.

His time at Sunderland was terrible and this was magnified by the fact that the Wearsiders had broken the bank to get the Frenchman to the club.

Fourteen appearances and one goal (in the League Cup) in two years means that Laslandes will never be welcome back at Sunderland.

19 Ibrahima Bakayoko

Everton fans added fuel to the 'Merseysiders have a great sense of humour' fire by labelling Bakayoko 'Baka-joke-o.'

The Ivorian arrived with a decent reputation after a profitable spell at Montpellier but his seven goals in 28 appearances for the Toffees was certainly not worth the £4.5m they paid.

18 Florin Raducioiu

Harry Redknapp said that Florin was aptly-named because his performances for West Ham were 'worth about two bob.'

He scored against Manchester United in the league but then missed a game to go shopping with his wife. He was that kind of player.

The Romanian departed the Upton Park after six months, having scored three goals in 12 appearances.

17 Viorel Moldovan

Coventry paid Swiss Club Grasshoppers £3.25m in January of 1998 for Moldovan but after making 14 appearances for the Sky Blues, during which time he found the back of the net just twice, he left under dark cloud.

Comments about Gordon Strachan's management style and quality of the football the team were playing were never proven to have come from the Romanian, but he left just six months after arriving.

How the club made £750,000 on his sale to Fenerbahce is anybody's guess.
    moldovan

16 Sean Dundee

Signed by Roy Evans from German side Karlsruhe for £2m in the summer of 1998, Dundee arrived at Liverpool claiming to be faster than Michael Owen. He wasn't.

Even the Reds' official website describe him as being 'possibly the worst player to don the red shirt' and the evidence stands this up.

Five first-team appearances without a goal, every second he spent on the pitch added further evidence that the German was well out of his depth.

15 Brett Angell

The mere mention of his name still makes Evertonians squirm. The defender-turned-striker had loan spells at Goodison but after the deal became permanent his lack of top-flight experience showed.

His 19 appearances yielded a solitary goal but the Toffees still managed to make a £100,000 profit form his sale to Sunderland.

14 Diego Forlan

Forlan became something of a cult figure with the Manchester United faithful, not because he was ever any good but because he was so bad - it took him 27 appearances to score his first goal.

He was shown the door by Sir Alex after a classic case of the straw that broke the camel's back. The Uruguayan was told to wear boots with longer studs in wet conditions but didn't and was caught by Fergie. He never played for the Reds again.

13 Andrea Silenzi

Famously the first Italian to play in the Premier League but also the worst. A lofty poacher who netted just twice for Nottingham Forest, Silenzi had a disinterested look about him whenever he took to the pitch.

With fees and wages he cost the club around £3m and was dropped for Jason Lee. Can it get any worse?
    silenzi

12 Afonso Alves

How do you solve a problem like Afonso? Try your damned hardest, just like Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate did.

You will also need a stroke of luck, like the transfer window in Qatar remaining open until September 15 so you can off-load the goal-shy Brazilian to Al-Sadd.

Alves was given £50,000-a-week after his £12m move from Heerenveen in January 2008 but only scored four Premier League goals in the 2008-09 season as Boro were relegated.
    mario jardel

11 Mario Jardel

Twice a European Golden Boot winner (with Porto and Sporting Lisbon), Jardel was a prolific hitman. What happened next is anyone's guess.

Something changed before his arrival at Bolton in 2003 and our only guess is that he developed a real penchant for pies, or anything encased in flaky pastry.

The fee that brought him to the Reebok was £1.5m but he managed just one season, 12 appearances and four goals before he was rolled out of the club like Violet Beauregarde from Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory to Ancona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

really have to wonder what happened with Jardel.

He had an almost 1:1 goals ratio for Porto, Galatasary and Sporting, and has since only managed 12 goals since signing for Bolton in 2003/04. (league goals maybe - wikipedia stats)

Seriously, what the hell happened to that guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

He had an almost 1:1 goals ratio for Porto, Galatasary and Sporting, and has since only managed 12 goals since signing for Bolton in 2003/04. (league goals maybe - wikipedia stats)

Never heard of him TBH or I just dont remember him. Seemed like a beast according to wiki. Bad attitude I would assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dancor wrote: »
    Dont forget Dribble Cisse

Bit harsh, 22 goals across 2 injury ridden seasons, one of which he missed the vast vast majority of with that horror double leg break. Underwhelming, but nowhere near bad enough for a list like this. Particularly if you add in his spell at Sunderland where he got another 10 league goals.

Dont know what happened him. He used to score bucket loads in the champions league as well, so it wasnt like his scoring could be put down to the poorness of the Portugese league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The weight gain i think was part of the problem, as well as being an indication of a bigger problem, he just stopped giving a fck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I was spot on with Bakayoko being in there :)

I thought Sean Dundee might have been that big of a waster that he might have slipped under the radar and not even been included! At least he didnt play too many games, but f**king hell, TWO MILLION QUID!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Dancor wrote: »
    Crespo never got a chance at Chelsea. Always liked him. Done the job before and after he was at Chelsea.

Agreed, unreal striker. His first half performance for Milan in that CL final against Liverpool was something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

dubmick wrote: »
    Agreed, unreal striker. His first half performance for Milan in that CL final against Liverpool was something else

always felt that Crespo, Mutu and Kezmen deserved more chances at Chelsea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

always felt that Crespo, Mutu and Kezmen deserved more chances at Chelsea...

Indeed - Mutu looked amazing for chelsea in the opening part of his career with them. Linking up brilliantly and scoring some great goals.

I think Kezman got screwed by the make up of the squad. Seemed JM wanted to play 442, and Kezman probably would have done well in that formation alongside Drogba. The squad balance wasn't right for it though and mouninho changed to 451 farily quickly, which kezman didn't fit into well (not a lone striker and couldn't play his game from out wide). Much the same issue i reckon Shevchenko suffered from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone going to guess the top 10 left?

Surely Ali Dia, Rebrov, Shevchenko and Balaban are 4 of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Marco Boogers HAS to be in there, preferably top 3 at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id imagine collymore too

I think Shevchenko will be in the top 3 to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Helix wrote: »
    id imagine collymore too

you must be having a laugh.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    you must be having a laugh.

why?

his move to villa was a disaster

its based on signings, not overall career is it not? stans move to villa was the perfect transfer on paper, but ended with him going pretty much nuts

why?

its based on signings, not overall career is it not? stans move to villa was the perfect transfer on paper, but ended with him going pretty much nuts

I think Slick might have thought it was the transfer to Liverpool to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I think Ali Dia will be no. 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Anyone going to guess the top 10 left?

Surely Ali Dia, Rebrov, Shevchenko and Balaban are 4 of them?

To have Shevchenko in the list would be a joke IMO if you are to take the criteria of "Worst" seriously . Most disappointing perhaps , but nowhere near worst at all

gustavo wrote: »
    To have Shevchenko in the list would be a joke IMO if you are to take the criteria of "Worst" seriously . Most disappointing perhaps , but nowhere near worst at all

obviously, but it wouldnt be interesting to write an article of 50 young players who played 3 minutes of premiership football before ending up in league 2 for the sake of being technically correct

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote: »

Well he is on the cover link on the site so I'd say he is! ;)

why?

i think it's based on strikers' performances in the Premiership.

his Liverpool career, though not over-the-top incredible, certainly disqualifies him from this list.

but if it was based on isolated signings, yes, he'd certainly be in with a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Ade Akinibiyi,Marco Boogers,Nii Lamptey,Sergei Rebrov should be fairly high up,plus various much-hyped City signings.Robinho might deserve a shout for sheer disappointment factor.

Robinho might deserve a shout for sheer disappointment factor.

get ready to duck a Xavi bomb.

*by the way, he'll be nowhere near this list, and rightfully so. he's been very good for City.

get ready to duck a Xavi bomb.

*by the way, he'll be nowhere near this list, and rightfully so. he's been very good for City.
    I'm a City fan,and he's a lazy sod.Really could be doing better.

Bosko Balaban is another who merits a mention.

And Steve Marlet.

I'm a City fan,and he's a lazy sod.Really could be doing better.

without turning this into a Robinho thread...

he maybe a bit lazy, overpaid, but there were also a lot of games last year, especially at home, where he gave you that bit extra; creating and scoring goals.

he's been a good signing imo.

without turning this into a Robinho thread...

he maybe a bit lazy, overpaid, but there were also a lot of games last year, especially at home, where he gave you that bit extra; creating and scoring goals.

he's been a good signing imo.
    He started brilliantly,but he's really not living up to expectations and is nothing on his Santos self.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Manucho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Robinho won't be anywhere near that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

No.1 will probably be Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No.1 will probably be Lucas.

Last time I heard, Lucas wasn't a striker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

mars bar wrote: »
    Last time I heard, Lucas wasn't a striker footballer!

FYP :p

Matt Jansen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Matt Jansen?
    He was expected to be class until he fell into a coma iirc, after falling off a bike on Italy. Hardly worthy of being one of the worst then, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

FYP :p

:D

I was trying to put something witty in but couldn't think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If they do it based on worst value then Pierluigi Casiraghi should be in the top 10. Ten games in 4 years with pay. Brian Laudrup was also **** for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Top ten. Should all be flops who cost £5 Million +

Balaban, Rebrov, Marlet, Forlan, Jeffers, Mutu, Akinbyi, Elmander, Crespo, Maccarone

Special Mentions
    Boksic, Camara,Boogers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Brian Laudrup was also **** for us

I remember him being number 1 in Four Four Two's (or similar UK mag) 100 Best Premiership Players list the summer he joined. Didn't last long. It was a mistake more than him being awful though.

Plus I'd never label him a striker.

Advertisement