Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily Mail's 50 Worst Premiership Strikers

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

forgot about boksic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Het-Field wrote: »
    Top ten. Should all be flops who cost £5 Million +

Balaban, Rebrov, Marlet, Forlan, Jeffers, Mutu, Akinbyi, Elmander, Crespo, Maccarone

Special Mentions
    Boksic, Camara,Boogers.

Nando Morientes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm a City fan,and he's a lazy sod.Really could be doing better.

Sorry but that's just embarrassing. 4th top scorer in the league (14 league goals if I'm not mistaken) in his first season despite playing wide in a midtable team. It's ok to have expectations but including him in the list of worst strikers ever is absolutely ridiculous, unless you genuinely think he's a worse buy than Samaras and Bianchi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Xavi6 wrote: »
    4th top scorer in the league (14 league goals if I'm not mistaken)

Joint 4th. ;)

But I completely agree with you. He should be nowhere near this list. I had forgotten about Bianchi and that wasn't that long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If they do it based on worst value then Pierluigi Casiraghi should be in the top 10. Ten games in 4 years with pay. Brian Laudrup was also **** for us

Whilst Laudrup had a disaster at Chelsea, he was never a striker in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sorry but that's just embarrassing. 4th top scorer in the league (14 league goals if I'm not mistaken) in his first season despite playing wide in a midtable team. It's ok to have expectations but including him in the list of worst strikers ever is absolutely ridiculous, unless you genuinely think he's a worse buy than Samaras and Bianchi?

Did you just imply a user was embarrassing?

noodler wrote: »
    Did you just imply a user was embarrassing?

I didn't imply anything. I stated that I think the post is embarrassing given its content, and I backed it with reasons why. Attack the post, not the poster I believe is the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I had forgotten about Casaraighi as well! Of course, like many septic strikers on this list he did bloody score against Liverpool :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

10 Sergei Rebrov - The Ukrainian hitman was once the continent's hottest strikers, smashing in goals from all angles for Dynamo Kiev. Then he moved to Tottenham. Spurs spent £11m on a player they thought was going to bridge the gap in quality bewteen them and neighbours Arsenal, but this failed to happen, in spectacular fashion. Maybe it was having to play alongside Steffen Iversen that led to him celebrating just 16 goals in 75 appearances...

9 Jason Lee - 'He's got a pineaple, on his head.' Does anyone else remember that chant? Oh, okay, everyone does. Nottingham Forest's hapless striker was just that - hapless and, much to his annoyance, subjected to the aforementioned chant everywhere he went. Lee actually complained about the treatment he received but we're struggling to work out what his argument could have been given that he only managed 15 goals in 94 outings for Forest.

8 Andriy Shevchenko - It's hard to believe that, after the reputation Sheva carved out for himself during his trophy-laden spell at Milan, he has ended up sliding into our list, and in the top 10 no less! He can't blame his failure on the Chelsea manager because he worked with several different bosses and, despite flashes of brilliance - his goal against Spurs in an FA Cup replay, for example - he never established himself in the side. A loan spell at Milan wasn't enough to secure a permanent move and he has now returned to Kiev, still a hero in his homeland but a bit of a joke back here.

7 Tomas Brolin - Now this chap looked like a world-beater in the early 90s, but after his £4.5m move to Leeds, he looked useless, bloated and ready for a lie down. Brolin failed to find the form that made him so popular at Parma and scored just for times in 25 appearances for the Elland Road club. He didn't do much better at Crystal Palace.

6 Ade Akinbiyi - Peter Taylor will be remembered for two things - making David Beckham captain and wasting £5m on Ade Akinbiyi at Leicester. Akinbiyi had been purchased as a replacement for Emile Heskey but it never worked out for the man from east London as a string of misses made the Foxes 'hitman' a national joke. Currently part of rich kids Notts County in their ambitious attempt to reach the Premier League.

5 Steve Marlet - We're slightly confused as to how Fulham owner Mr Al-Fayed managed to amass such a fortune when he sanctioned the wasting of £11m on the wayward Frenchman. Marlet arrived after al-Fayed had claimed he would make Fulham the Manchester United of the south but soon left the club after managing just a goal every five games.

4 Ali Dia - Well, he's made it onto a list of 'worst strikers' solely because that was he said he was, when in fact he wasn't even a footballer. He even claimed to be George Weah's cousin. Shame on you Graeme Souness for giving Dia a run-out in the Premier League for Southampton when you hadn't even seen him kick a ball. He managed 52 minutes for the Saints and was politely asked to leave - before Souness got hold of him!

3 Bosko Balaban - Aston Villa owner Doug Ellis was never known for being flash with his cash so we were all surprised when he fished £6m out of his pocket for Croatian Balaban. There are failures and then there is Balaban. He failed to start a Premier League game and scored no goals. Shocker.

2 Marc Boogers - Was Boogers an urban myth? In time to come there will be entire programmes dedicated to conspiracy theories about the Dutchman's (ever so) brief career at West Ham. If you blinked, you would have missed his entire Premier League career. However, for evidence of his time in the English game, look no further than Gary Neville's midriff after Booger's challenge left after a huge boot-shaped mark in the full-back's stomach. His horror tackle got him sent off at Old Trafford and he soon did a runner from east London, never to be seen again.

1 Stephane Guivarc'h - Some truly great strikers have graced the pitch at Newcastle. Milburn, Macdonald, Shearer and, erm, Guivarc'h! What is so remarkable about this story is that the Geordies thought they were buying a World Cup winner, which they were, but they probably should have taken more note of the fact that he failed to score a single goal in the winning campaign of 1998. He failed to produce any decent form after his £3.5m move to the Magpies and departed - after just four appearances and one goal - up to Rangers, citing that he wasn't part of Ruud Gullit's plans. Well, you wouldn't be, would you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1219047/THE-LIST-The-worst-strikers-played-Premier-League-Nos-10-1.html

Guivarc'h scored a fantastic amount of goals in the French league the two seasons before he joined Newcastle. I'd say that had quite an impact on the decision to buy him, but of course that sort info works against the author's argument for having him at number 1 so best keep that on the DL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If they do it based on worst value then Pierluigi Casiraghi should be in the top 10. Ten games in 4 years with pay. Brian Laudrup was also **** for us

In fairness Casiraghi arrived just having recovered from an injury and lacking in fitness. His first handful of games or so he was seriously short of match fitness. Just as he was getting there and looking dangerous he suffered that career ending injury.

Can't really call him a flop, he just got seriously unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

iregk wrote: »

Can't really call him a flop, he just got seriously unlucky.

Fair enough, I had forgotten about his injuries.....as well as forgetting about him actually playing for Chelsea!

Chelsea had some turnover of strikers in the last 10 years!

i think balaban is probably the worst value ever, considering he never started in the prem and never scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Het-Field wrote: »
    Top ten. Should all be flops who cost £5 Million +

Balaban, Rebrov, Marlet, Forlan, Jeffers, Mutu, Akinbyi, Elmander, Crespo, Maccarone

Special Mentions
    Boksic, Camara,Boogers.

WTF?

do people just pick names out of their arsé

granted he only played 48 games, but he scored 20 goals and was blighted by injury, forcing him to retire

hardly a flop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

13 Andrea Silenzi Famously the first Italian to play in the Premier League but also the worst. A lofty poacher who netted just twice for Nottingham Forest, Silenzi had a disinterested look about him whenever he took to the pitch.

With fees and wages he cost the club around £3m and was dropped for Jason Lee. Can it get any worse?

lol, I believe Andrea was joint top scorer in the Italian league two seasons before joining Forest as well! At least Jason Lee didn't cost us much and always tried as hard as he could...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

13 Andrea Silenzi Famously the first Italian to play in the Premier League but also the worst. A lofty poacher who netted just twice for Nottingham Forest, Silenzi had a disinterested look about him whenever he took to the pitch.

With fees and wages he cost the club around £3m and was dropped for Jason Lee. Can it get any worse?

lol, I believe Andrea was joint top scorer in the Italian league two seasons before joining Forest as well! At least Jason Lee didn't cost us much and always tried as hard as he could...

He started just 7 games.

His best was a joint 3rd in 93-94.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Helix wrote: »
    i think balaban is probably the worst value ever, considering he never started in the prem and never scored

Considering he never started a game it's a bit much to expect him to score!

I can never understand why clubs pay so much money for players and never even let them have a chance to show how crap they are.

the annoying thing is he scored goals before and after villa... something just went horribly wrong at his time at b6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Milosevic aswell didn't shine at Villa either, after he left he was on fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Milosevic aswell didn't shine at Villa either, after he left he was on fire

as good a poacher as the Van Nistelrooy's of this world on his day.

his day just never seemed to be while at Villa alright.

never one of the worst ever though.

• Advertisement

I didn't imply anything. I stated that I think the post is embarrassing given its content, and I backed it with reasons why. Attack the post, not the poster I believe is the rule.

So is it kay if I call Drogba a cheat if I mention the 'plain for all to see' diving, fouling and playacting he did during the Liverpool game?

Just wondering where the line is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Guivarch is a strange one, ok he WAS a flop, but is it fair to call him the worst striker in Premiership history given that he only played 4 games?

newcastle payed 3.5m for him, and sold him for 3.5m to Rangers by a manager who just didnt like the look of him.

Interestingly enough, he was mince at Rangers too..Scoring 7 goals in all competittions, 5 of them coming in 3 games against St.Johnstone!
    But we still managed to sell him for 3.5m to auxerre, where he went on to score 25 in 60 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Aly Dia should be number 1,would they not have sussed him out in training even?

noodler wrote: »
    So is it kay if I call Drogba a cheat if I mention the 'plain for all to see' diving, fouling and playacting he did during the Liverpool game?

Just wondering where the line is.

Wonder away, but derailing a thread isn't the way to find out.

Kezman or Shevchenko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ha I knew Ade Akinbiyi would finish very high in this list, what a stocking. :D

Wonder away, but derailing a thread isn't the way to find out.

Why not just tell me?

Point taken though, derailing over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

really have to wonder what happened with Jardel.

He had an almost 1:1 goals ratio for Porto, Galatasary and Sporting, and has since only managed 12 goals since signing for Bolton in 2003/04. (league goals maybe - wikipedia stats)

Seriously, what the hell happened to that guy!

Dancor wrote: »
    Never heard of him TBH or I just dont remember him. Seemed like a beast according to wiki. Bad attitude I would assume.

Jesus, Jardel was awesome. Maybe you're a bit young or something but anyone 24+ will always remember him. I used to always sign him in Championship Manager back in the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Jesus, Jardel was awesome. Maybe you're a bit young or something but anyone 24+ will always remember him. I used to always sign him in Championship Manager back in the day!
    yeah jardel was excellent in his day his goalscoring record for porto was amazing.what happened to him,was it a case of not giving a **** or was there something else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

yabadabado wrote: »
    yeah jardel was excellent in his day his goalscoring record for porto was amazing.what happened to him,was it a case of not giving a **** or was there something else

Drink and a divcorce is why he left Portugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yup, his personal life fell apart and it finished his career, fantastic looking player up to that though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Eirebear wrote: »
    Guivarch is a strange one, ok he WAS a flop, but is it fair to call him the worst striker in Premiership history given that he only played 4 games?

I'm surprised at that too.He was awful at Newcastle but he had a great spell at Birmingham initially.

Looking back through the list Helder Postiga should be higher,hugely disappointing player considering how good he was coming up.

Advertisement