Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting someones back?

• 06-10-2009 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Ive a project for college on shooting the body. Ive found my model - a friend with a large tattoo upon his back. it's bloody impressive. He also has some on the right side of his neck.

My question is, how should I get him to pose? Arms out looks a tad mellow dramatic, and looking back over his shoulder is a bit feminine (and he's hard as nails, this chap). I was thinking arms folded, 3/4's turned.

The google searches I did only produced women models - and that one of morrissey for the NME. Im a bit lost, still!

Any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

What about if he is lifting two heavy Dumb Bells, if he is hard as nails i am presuming he has muscle definition and if you get him to lift the weights you will get some nice flexing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Did you think about posing him in the position he would have gotten the tatto done in, for example when I had my back tattooed I sat bent over to give the best canvas for the tattoist. It could work quite well with a black background and vibrant colours, the dumbell sounds cool too, I reckon the neck one would work well in the tattoing position also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I think with something like this theres a great opportunity to go for something a little different and less cliched.
    I'd be inclined to inject some humour and get him to pose lifting a balloon or bunch of flowers while showcasing his muscles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

bullpost wrote: »
    I think with something like this theres a great opportunity to go for something a little different and less cliched.
    I'd be inclined to inject some humour and get him to pose lifting a balloon or bunch of flowers while showcasing his muscles.

Are you suggesting my shot idea is cliched! ;)

Like the idea of the bunch of flowers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

bullpost wrote: »

Yea, and a miniature dog under his other arm! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

a handstand !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I really like the idea of the balloons. Its so bizarre it would contrast great with his down to earth personality.

I was thinking more about this, and am considering hands on the back of the head - elbows pointed straight up, straight on, with a dark background. something that would naturally stretch his muscles and look somewhat natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

First thing I thought of was....
    Usain%20Bolt%20%28photo%20PUMA%29_5.jpg

Might be hard to get his tatoo and the pose in....
    5644.jpg

Or this from, with something suitable in his hand....
    P0069.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

do a hdr pic of him with strong lighting ..... you could shoot him in a pair of jeans with a top draped down (hanging from the jeans - as if it was ripped off)....

or dramatic side-lights - and convert to B&W (kind of like a hedex advert or some pain killer type ad)

use as wide as possible and use some dramatic leading lines from the tatts....even press the wide into his skin.

or using a macro lens just catch some of the detail of the tattoo and make an abstract from the image (Diagonal crop...maybe)

thinking about the first idea (hdr) ...another suggestion - strong lighting from behind the subject to give a silhouette .... and thin light across the tattoo - not revealing it all but allowing the viewer to get a glimpse of it.

or a standard flex muscles pose and shoot from behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

you could have him hanging from a bar by his hands, his back muscles will stretch out and shoulders will look defined too, maybe put some dangerous dogs underneath and have a steak wrapped to his feet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

you could have him hanging from a bar by his hands, his back muscles will stretch out and shoulders will look defined too, maybe put some dangerous dogs underneath and have a steak wrapped to his feet!

Jeez we're getting very into this! Soon there'll be plot lines, back stories, villagers, a wronged widdow, etc.!

For what it's worth, I like the idea of several shots at various stages of a pull-up. Could you do a storyboard type affect?

Advertisement